SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-17, 05:20 AM   #1
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1
Default History questions..

So, I'm working on making a mod featuring some of the cold-war subs that were left of Cold Waters (some rightly so...) and there are a few questions that have come up that I've not been able to find the answers to.

#1. Skate class SSNs. They were in service until the early-mid 80s. Were they capable of and refitted to fire the Mk 48? From what I can find out, the Skates (and some of the few, surviving diesel boats like the Tangs and Darter) were the reason that the Mk 37 / NT-37 was kept in service into the 1980s as they were the only things that would work in the rear torpedo tubes of these respective classes.

#2. Seawolf SSN-575 (not the Seawolf we all want, but the one that Gotham City deserves) Special Projects conversion. I know that some (possibly most) of her torpedo tubes were deactivated to facilitate all the secret squirrel stuff she was doing on the ocean floor. How many tubes were still functional, did she carry reloads, and did she carry Mk 48s?

#3. GUPPYs and other fleet-boat conversions, which ones were capable of using wire-guided torpedoes? I know the GUPPY IIIs had Mk 45 ASTOR capability which by nature required wire-guidance (and as far as I know, no other GUPPYs carried the Mk 45) but which other boats, if any could use wire-guided torpedoes?

#5. Speed questions. I find multiple figures quoted for both the Skate and Tullibee classes. Both were slow boats, I see the Skates listed anywhere from 18 to 22 knots submerged while the Tullibee comes in at 14/16/ just under 20 depending on where I look.

#6. Skate Reactor. First two boats (Skate and Swordfish) got the S3W (7300hp) plant (which was a scaled down S2W from Nautilus) the next two Sargo and Seadragon were built with S4W reactors which used the same machinery, just in a different arrangement with the reactor being mounted lower. From what I read, at some point the last two were fitted with S5W reactors (15,000+ hp). Was there any increase in performance when this was done? From what I can tell, it was just S5W cores they were using and nothing was really changed with the turbines so I'm doubting a major impact.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
Old 07-04-17, 07:46 AM   #2
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
So, I'm working on making a mod featuring some of the cold-war subs that were left of Cold Waters (some rightly so...) and there are a few questions that have come up that I've not been able to find the answers to.

#1. Skate class SSNs. They were in service until the early-mid 80s. Were they capable of and refitted to fire the Mk 48? From what I can find out, the Skates (and some of the few, surviving diesel boats like the Tangs and Darter) were the reason that the Mk 37 / NT-37 was kept in service into the 1980s as they were the only things that would work in the rear torpedo tubes of these respective classes.
Skate class can not use Mark-48 torpedoes. Have elderly torpedo FC "Mk-88". Can use straight running torprdoes and early US homing torpedoes like "Mrk-28", "Mark-35" and "Mark-37". Last was "NT-37" torepdoes.

Quote:
#2. Seawolf SSN-575 (not the Seawolf we all want, but the one that Gotham City deserves) Special Projects conversion. I know that some (possibly most) of her torpedo tubes were deactivated to facilitate all the secret squirrel stuff she was doing on the ocean floor. How many tubes were still functional, did she carry reloads, and did she carry Mk 48s?
It is you can say question this: http://www.seawolf-ssn575.com/

Quote:
#3. GUPPYs and other fleet-boat conversions, which ones were capable of using wire-guided torpedoes? I know the GUPPY IIIs had Mk 45 ASTOR capability which by nature required wire-guidance (and as far as I know, no other GUPPYs carried the Mk 45) but which other boats, if any could use wire-guided torpedoes?
Guppy can use "Mark-37", "NT-37" and "Mark-39" wire-guided torpedoes. Guppy was only subs what can use "Mark-39" torpedoes. About "Mark-39" you can read this: http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-20-00000051-000-0-0#003

Quote:
#5. Speed questions. I find multiple figures quoted for both the Skate and Tullibee classes. Both were slow boats, I see the Skates listed anywhere from 18 to 22 knots submerged while the Tullibee comes in at 14/16/ just under 20 depending on where I look.
As I know "SS-578" Surfaced: 15.5 / Submerged: 18. "SS-597" Speed: Surfaced: 12.9 k. / Submerged: 16 k.
denis_469 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 01:12 PM   #3
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_469 View Post
Skate class can not use Mark-48 torpedoes. Have elderly torpedo FC "Mk-88". Can use straight running torprdoes and early US homing torpedoes like "Mrk-28", "Mark-35" and "Mark-37". Last was "NT-37" torepdoes.

It is you can say question this: http://www.seawolf-ssn575.com/

Guppy can use "Mark-37", "NT-37" and "Mark-39" wire-guided torpedoes. Guppy was only subs what can use "Mark-39" torpedoes. About "Mark-39" you can read this: http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-20-00000051-000-0-0#003

As I know "SS-578" Surfaced: 15.5 / Submerged: 18. "SS-597" Speed: Surfaced: 12.9 k. / Submerged: 16 k.
Thanks for this! For the GUPPYs I probably won't create the Mk 39 for now as it was out of service by 1968, same with the Mk 28 and Mk 35. As far as the Skate goes, while I recall it as having Mk 101 fire control it probably had a Mk 88 something else (fire control console or the like) and was missing (and not fitted) with one of the gizmos that would be required to interface / program / talk to a MK 48.
Old 07-06-17, 02:24 PM   #4
missleman01
Seaman

Downloads: 79

This is an interesting project idea. I would love to try a diesel Guppy or one of the older Nuke classes. Always suprised when I am reminded most of the nuke boats served the bulk of the cold war, even the oldest ones. I suppose we still need a solution to the model issue or have you found a way to implement new models?
missleman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 06:27 PM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by missleman01 View Post
This is an interesting project idea. I would love to try a diesel Guppy or one of the older Nuke classes. Always suprised when I am reminded most of the nuke boats served the bulk of the cold war, even the oldest ones. I suppose we still need a solution to the model issue or have you found a way to implement new models?
Well, ever notice how the Tango kinda /sorta looks a little like the USS Seawolf if you squint a bit? Just keep squinting and after you've been doing it for long enough you'll see exactly what I mean.

Seriously though for now we're going to be stuck with the models that are in the game, and that means a lot of stuff is going to be looking decidedly Russian for the foreseeable future. A lot of what I've done is based off the "Playable Russian Submarines" mod by Captainx3. Anyways I'll probbly start a "WIP" mod thread about it soon enough.
Old 07-06-17, 06:33 PM   #6
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Anyways I'll probbly start a "WIP" mod thread about it soon enough.
Sounds promising

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:15 PM   #7
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

That website just says, "go away - I'm classified". The (very) few pictures posted are all distance shots. No leadership, change of command, or award ceremony pics...even after all these years.

Just part of the Silent Service.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote