SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-14, 08:06 AM   #196
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A German article makes me think it could also be another scenario. The author points out that on many videos and photos the uniforms show a very consistent look and that the units are extremely well organised and disciplined, and are very well equipped. Also, they operate with great coordination and precisions, very focussed, and obviously know very well what they are doing, and when, and where. That implies a very strong central command with the needed means of communication.

I think this speaks not so much for just some groups of hobby warriors or a militia, but that it could be Russian special units who have took off their nationality emblems and regular uniforms.

What would the legal status of such troops operating in another formally sovereign country be then? I assume nothing too positive?

The Russians have 13,000 troops and military members in Sewastopol.

Or is it Ukrainian troops that try to deceive the West over a Russian intervention in order to bring NATO into this, like Shaakashviuli tried in Georgia when he gave his many lies as an excuse for his demand why NATO should intervene on his behalf?
Old 02-28-14, 08:08 AM   #197
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

According to the BBC, a Russian frigate is patrolling the entrance to Balaklava.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:20 AM   #198
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A German article makes me think it could also be another scenario. The author points out that on many videos and photos the uniforms show a very consistent look and that the units are extremely well organised and disciplined, and are very well equipped. Also, they operate with great coordination and precisions, very focussed.

I think this speaks not so much for just some groups of hobby warriors or a militia, but that it could be Russian special units who have took off their nationality emblems and regular uniforms.

What would the legal status of such troops operating in another formally sovereign country be then? I assume nothing too positive?

Or is it Ukrainian troops that try to deceive the West over a Russian intervention in order to bring NATO into this, like Shaakashviuli tried in Georgia when he gave his many lies as an excuse for his demand why NATO should intervene on his behalf?
That's what I thought too, that's not a rag-tag band of men, undoubtedly there are some militia there, but it just seems to co-ordinated.
They've apparently pulled back from the airport and are maintain ro*******s (road b-lo-cks) around it.
I doubt it's Ukrainian forces, at least ones under central command, since there is no real central command at the moment after the head of the Ukrainian armed forces was fired. It's, in my opinion anyway, either Russian backed and equipped militia forces, or Russian special forces posing as Ukrainian forces, like you say, Russian speaking forces wouldn't be a strange thing in parts of the Ukraine.

One rather odd thing strikes me though, in a few of these pictures and video footage of these men at the airport I've seen...some of them don't have magazines in their rifles...
Old 02-28-14, 08:26 AM   #199
Flamebatter90
Medic

Downloads: 3

I read somewhere that they (the guys at the airport) had armored vehicles as well. Looking at them, they certainly seem very organized.
Flamebatter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:30 AM   #200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
A German article makes me think it could also be another scenario. The author points out that on many videos and photos the uniforms show a very consistent look and that the units are extremely well organised and disciplined, and are very well equipped. Also, they operate with great coordination and precisions, very focussed, and obviously know very well what they are doing, and when, and where. That implies a very strong central command with the needed means of communication.

Spetsnaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
According to the BBC, a Russian frigate is patrolling the entrance to Balaklava.
Showing the flag.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26382555

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:40 AM   #201
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Turns out the Frigate is actually a corvette... A Tarantul III class corvette, the Ivanovets.

Old 02-28-14, 08:48 AM   #202
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Spetsnaz
Ah, Russian Chuck Norrises. Would explain why some of them do not need magazines.
Old 02-28-14, 11:27 AM   #203
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Ah, Russian Chuck Norrises. Would explain why some of them do not need magazines.
Looks like a job for Rambo.

Old 02-28-14, 11:31 AM   #204
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Dave Cameron is ready to throw pots of money at them.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 01:59 PM   #205
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I stand corrected, NATO are not going to do anything, if Russia intervene in Crimea-Just read it in a Danish newspaper.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:27 PM   #206
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I stand corrected, NATO are not going to do anything, if Russia intervene in Crimea-Just read it in a Danish newspaper.

Markus
I don't doubt anybody expects NATO or the EU to do anything militarily but the EU may well throw loads of money at the problem.

Old 02-28-14, 02:41 PM   #207
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Hard to decide which side to be on ... raised to hate what is evil and cling to what is good.

Russia should have a say so in what a former country decides to do.

The president of the Ukraine says he is still the president, but yet he is in hiding. Pro Russians galore and pro-freedom fighters asking for EU to bail them out.

This problem needs more study than I have time to give it ... "please Mr Putin no more blood shed"
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:55 PM   #208
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
One rather odd thing strikes me though, in a few of these pictures and video footage of these men at the airport I've seen...some of them don't have magazines in their rifles...
Could be sort of a de-escalation thing. But it doesn't take very long to put one in if needed, believe me.
Old 02-28-14, 03:01 PM   #209
Oberon
Lucky Jack

The trouble with the Ukraine is that there's good and bad on both sides. Lots of nationalism, fascism, racism, and corruption in the mix. It's an ugly combination, and I don't think it's going to get any better soon.
Old 02-28-14, 03:36 PM   #210
kranz
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Russia should have a say so in what a former country decides to do.

please say that you are either buzzed or on some hard drugs cuz if this is trolling, I'm giving you -3/10.

Poland, the former Czechoslovakia, the former Yugoslavia, Belarus, Lithuania and sth like a dozen of other countries are 'former USSR' (with different levels of independence ofc).

I tried to read through the thread, stuck on SB's gibberish but also noticed how quite a few ppl actually believed in his story...so wow..
.My favorite fragments are 'the blue map' and '70-80% are Russians'.

There are a few villages in Poland where Gypsies make 90% of inhabitants and Poles need 'Gypsyland visas' to enter these villages.
A true story, guys. 110% of truth.
kranz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nato, putin, ukraina, ukraine, ukrajna