Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-08, 11:07 AM   #1
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0
How to get a Win 98 to play on XP ?

Hi All My OS is XP sp2

Anyone know how to get a game that says " Will not play on ME, 2000 or XP.

It was made for Window 98.

Anyone know any tricks or d\l to use ?

Thx for any help.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 11:19 AM   #2
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I'd set up a dual-boot environment, WinXP on one partition, Win98 on the other... The advantage is that you can load all the required drivers into the environment without a cross-OS hassle (98 drivers that don't work in XP for example). I used this technique to boot 98 so I could play the original SH and a couple other games that wouldn't run in an XP/98/95 "compatibility mode".

This is one of the better commercial boot managers: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...tibooting.html

In the past, I've used LILO (LInux LOader) to set up a triple OS (XP, 98 and Debian) environment. Cavaet: If you use LILO, be absolutely sure you know what you're doing as it can make your hard drive unbootable!
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 12:02 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Hi DeepIron

Thx for the reply.

The key phrase you posted " Be absolutly sure you know what your doing " Applys to me. I DON'T!!!

It's DC that I want to play. SHII works fine and it came out first iirc.

Any easier way ? Hope you have a easy fix.

Old 07-29-08, 01:13 PM   #4
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL

Anyone know any tricks or d\l to use ?

Thx for any help.
If you have XP Professional, you can give Microsoft Virtual PC a try. I have Vista Home Premium. Even though MS it says it does not "support it" it works just fine on my machine. I have a Virtual 98 PC and a Virtual XP Home edition up and running.

Can't beat the price either - FREE.

Don't forget, you still need a legit 98 CD to install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 01:40 PM   #5
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Thx M. L.

As a matter of fact I do have a copy of 98 in my junk software bin.

Is this a easy thing to do ? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer in doing this stuff.

WHOA !!! Just had a large jolt 5.8

Old 07-29-08, 03:14 PM   #6
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Thx M. L.

Is this a easy thing to do ? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer in doing this stuff.
Took me two tries. Got lost the first try, then I realized after it allocates a spot on your hard drive in you My Documents folder, you need to tell the Virtual PC to "boot" off your install CD. You will see a CD/DVD icon I think it is on the bottom, insert your Win98 CD, click the CD icon and away you go! Win98 starts installing.

'Nuther thing that tripped me up. Could not figure out why no Internet access on the Virtual 98 PC or the Virtual XP PC. Then it dawned on me. I have two network cards in the rig. One is a 100 meg nic, the other is a 1-gig nic. I only use the 1-gig nic. Had to go into the virtual settings and tell it not to use the 100 meg nic. Had Internet access after that change on the Virtual machines.

Depending on the game, it can get "choppy" or laggy. Tried Silent Hunter II in the Win98 Virtual PC. It installed error free. Started the game, main menu screen loaded, and picked a career. No go game is unplayable.

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 03:33 PM   #7
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Quote:
If you have XP Professional, you can give Microsoft Virtual PC a try. I have Vista Home Premium. Even though MS it says it does not "support it" it works just fine on my machine. I have a Virtual 98 PC and a Virtual XP Home edition up and running.
This would probably be simpler and as DC *shouldn't* be too intensive on your system resources, it may work fine. It all depends on if DC will detect your drivers correctly. That was generally the problem with 95/98 games under XP...

If MS VPC doesn't work out, the Acronis boot loader I listed in my earlier post will be the next best thing to "foolproof"... Pretty much a "wizard driven" install and configuration.
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 03:54 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepIron
Quote:
This would probably be simpler and as DC *shouldn't* be too intensive on your system resources, it may work fine. It all depends on if DC will detect your drivers correctly. That was generally the problem with 95/98 games under XP...

If MS VPC doesn't work out, the Acronis boot loader I listed in my earlier post will be the next best thing to "foolproof"... Pretty much a "wizard driven" install and configuration.

Thx DeepIron Will give them a try. I don't understand why SHII installs and plays easily on lowend XP laptop and my Highend DT but, DC which came out after SHII.

Thats UBI for ya. :rotfl:

Old 07-29-08, 05:11 PM   #9
Reinhard Hardegen
Raiders of the Deep

Downloads: 255

I have DC on my laptop and desk top and home, both are using XP. When the message comes up that tells you that it will not play on XP and do you want to install anway, just say yes. It will play just fine on XP SP2
A quote from Donitz; “The reason that the American Navy does so well in wartime is that war is chaos, and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis.” “For the lessons one fails to learn during peacetime, one pays a high price in war.”
Reinhard Hardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 06:16 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard Hardegen
I have DC on my laptop and desk top and home, both are using XP. When the message comes up that tells you that it will not play on XP and do you want to install anway, just say yes. It will play just fine on XP SP2

I do that and all I get is a black screen.

I must be doing something wrong.

Old 07-30-08, 08:00 AM   #11
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Have you tried to :

-right click on the main .exe of your game and click on Properties

-click on the compatibility tab

-tick "Run in compatibility mode"

-select window 98

-tick "Disable visual themes" (may not be necessary, but some old applications works better with this ticked)

Then launch the game by this edited .exe to see if it works better.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:20 PM   #12
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm bumping this as I'm in the same boat so to speak. Already have SHII and PA installed and working OK on Xp. I just changed my ATI x850xt card for a 8800gt and they both still work, but some of the menu texts are now scrambled or missing. That's not a biggy because you can still click on where they were, however, my copy of DC just arrived and it will not install. I get the splash screen OK but when I click on install, the installer flashes on the screen for about a second, then disappears leaving the hourglass going for another five seconds, and then nothing. Tried the disc on the 98se machine and it installs OK, I'm getting the Janus error when I launch it which is a DirectX issue, so the disc is OK and appears to be genuine as far as I can tell box and all.

ASUS P5G MB
NVIDIA 8800GT OC
4GB RAM
Xp Pro SP3

The little voice in my ear says this is the video drivers on the new card issue, and I have tried 98 and 95 compat modes.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 07:12 PM   #13
Buddahaid

Well I just beat my head on the wall with MS Virtual PC. I finally understood it and was shot down due to my using NTFS. I will not risk an fdisk to a virtual drive due to my being scared it will mess up the system.

Buddahaid
Old 08-04-08, 10:36 PM   #14
Buddahaid

I have DC installed on Xp now. The install shield wouldn't load before, but I tried the install from safe mode and it ran.

Now if I can just figure out why the menus are somewhat scrambled. This happened to SH2 and PA as well after the graphic card upgrade.

Buddahaid