SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-14, 05:44 AM   #271
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Well, its last but not least about habits, isn'T it. The two Anschütz mentioned are two of my three preferred rifles, and I run the 9.3 with a hit rating of 94% in the statistics, I think. What I hit with it, no matter the range, usually drops. I must say I had more problems with the .300 when shooting elks and black bears at long distances, too many aftersearches.

The looks, I do not like the plastic shafts either, but the .300, the original one, is an old graphics work of theirs, and it shows in the details. Later rifles their artist designed are polished with more love and details. The bonus version of it that currently cannot be bought, looks better already. That's what I meant. All the old rifles like the .240 or .270 look old by now.

I like the scope of the .300.

Against my original intention I got the 7mm Magnum rifle. Actually it is a damn good kit in the game, absolute precision and good penetration power, not complaining with even the heaviest game there is, doing slightly less damage than the 9.3 and .300. It seems many people in the forum say that for them this is the most effective rifle in the game now. Its just that I cannot get used to the looks and the sound of it. The 2x shotgun and the two Anschütz rifles imo are the best sounding rifles in the game. And then there is the .454, of course. I do not leave the lodge without it anymore. I will level the Bullpup to 100 kills for the HS point boni, 20 kills still missing, then leave it behind.

Heck, us players run around in that virtual wilderness, armed to the teeth with multiple firearms as if we are going to war...

Last edited by Skybird; 09-26-14 at 05:55 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 05:56 AM   #272
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Well, its last but not least about habits, isn'T it. The two Anschütz mentioned are two of my three preferred rifles, and I run the 9.3 with a hit rating of 94% in the statistics, I think. What I hit with it, no matter the range, usually drops. I must say I had more problems with the .300 when shooting elks and black bears at long distances, too many aftersearches.
Really now?
That's indeed the opposite of my observations.
though I won't say the 9.3mm doesn't drop anything - it i the best "dropper" in the game, for obvious reasons.

I am just a little unhappy about the arguably bad accuracy, not over-all capabilities.
Old 09-26-14, 07:20 AM   #273
Skybird
Soaring

All I can say is that I have learned to compensate with the 9.3 over long distance. The greater problem with it I would say is that it has more wobble in the scope than for example the 6.5. That seems to reflect that it is the heavier rifle. Though from my experience with SLR camera equipment I would argue that added weight can stabilize the view, not destabilize it. But i have never shot with rifles in real life, only bows.

The 9mm rifle also has remarkable stable vision, even at very early skill levels already.

But the 9.3 seems to have the biggest wobble of all rifles I use. And that although I have it at a higher skill rating than any other rifle (Lvl 8)
Old 09-26-14, 07:53 AM   #274
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
All I can say is that I have learned to compensate with the 9.3 over long distance.
You can't compensate the base-inaccuracy of a rifle, though.
I do not talk bullet drop, I extra mentioned the horizontal(!) offset, which is very noticeable with the 9.3mm at "extreme" distances (theHunter related).

With other weapons I do not experience that, or not as much.
Especially the original .300 will place the round where you really want it.
It is known to be the most accurate gun ingame.

Regarding weapon weight, your assumption is correct.
A heavy weapon rests way more stable on whatever you place it and especially if put on a sandbag in prone position or something like that.
Heavier rifles also experience less impact from the shooters body movement (shaking/vibrations etc.) or heart beat.
At ~800m+ you can really see what a difference a low heart rate and shooting between two heart beats can make.
This is worse with a light rifle and much more noticeable.

The only pro argument for light rifles is that you can hold them up more stable for longer if you can't rest it anywhere. Then again, that isn't really necessary in hunting mostly.
This is also one reason why military grade sniper rifles are quite heavy, compared to civilian hunting rifles. While your average hunting rifle will weigh around ~3.5-4.5kg,
where a German army G22/AW-F (.300) will weigh around 9kg loaded and with scope.

The heavy rifles being more shaky in tH is, I suspect, a victim of the beloved "game balance".
Old 09-26-14, 08:28 AM   #275
Alicatt
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post

Regarding weapon weight, your assumption is correct.
A heavy weapon rests way more stable on whatever you place it and especially if put on a sandbag in prone position or something like that.
Heavier rifles also experience less impact from the shooters body movement (shaking/vibrations etc.) or heart beat.
At ~800m+ you can really see what a difference a low heart rate and shooting between two heart beats can make.
This is worse with a light rifle and much more noticeable.

The heavy rifles being more shaky in tH is, I suspect, a victim of the beloved "game balance".
Following on in to look at Skybird's lovely pictures.

I was going to say the same thing myself, my .22LR target rifle, BSA Mk2, was a lot heavier than my .303 Lee Enfield and was a lot more stable in use. Standing shooting was another matter, with the low recoil of the .22 you stood and braced different than the .303 but still I would not like to have to hold either of them up for too long.
Alicatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 08:59 AM   #276
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
Following on in to look at Skybird's lovely pictures.

I was going to say the same thing myself, my .22LR target rifle, BSA Mk2, was a lot heavier than my .303 Lee Enfield and was a lot more stable in use. Standing shooting was another matter, with the low recoil of the .22 you stood and braced different than the .303 but still I would not like to have to hold either of them up for too long.
Thanks for the input!
And welcome to Subsim, land of crazy.
Old 09-26-14, 09:03 AM   #277
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
You can't compensate the base-inaccuracy of a rifle, though.
I do not talk bullet drop, I extra mentioned the horizontal(!) offset, which is very noticeable with the 9.3mm at "extreme" distances (theHunter related).
I can just say again, vertically I have learned to compensate, like I learned that with the .22 as well which has far more obvious ballistic effects beyond 50m, and horizontally I never became aware that there is a huge offset between aim point and hit point.

At 200m, the animals also is so small in the scope that you cannot aim for 5cm precision anyway, at least not in the game.

However, I now avoid such distances anyway. It now is rare that I shoot beyond 150m, and with rifles I usually get closer than 100, with the .223 even closer than 50m.

These are my stats with rifles that I used for longer than just ten shots or so. The differences are anything but stellar, the diference they do not show is my subjective impression of how easily a kill was scored by instant kill in place, or needing a long aftersearch. The 30-96 and the .300 gave me more worries in this regard.

For the rifles I use in the main, I have levels 7 and 8. So there should not be any noticable skill differences between them.

I have the impression that some rifles have more obvious gains from raising skill levels, than others. The 9.3 - I see no real difference between 3 and 8, to be honest, the wobble looks the same to me. The Bullpup at level one already was easier to aim with than the 8x57 at 7. The uplevelling of the 6.5 imo saw propgressive gains in wobble decrease.

I wonder if they really have all those details in right the way they intended the system to work. It is no game-breaking issue, all of his, but I would handle the whole system - and trophy damage and callibre - differently. It is here where the game indeed is more game than sim, I fear.

The .22 is nice due to its heavy ballistic effects, but I suck with it. And with shotguns at birds I also cannot really shine.
Old 09-26-14, 09:22 AM   #278
Skybird
Soaring

I just noticed by chance that the controversy about their "mobiler Hochsitz" has found a positive effect, apparently. I know got one. When they came up with that idea, buyers of the DVD ediitons were intentionally left out. In the shop I now see that it lists one of these items as being owned by me.

Where to set it up, I wonder...
Old 09-26-14, 05:56 PM   #279
Skybird
Soaring

Some more pics.

Have seen more of the reserve tonight, great place, though it seems they hurried a bit too much in executing their intentions: there are many floating textures. So: idea and artistic planning: A, execution: D. They need to do some post-release polishing. Which unfortunately they have never done with any reserve, at least not in the visual department.

This could nevertheless become my favourite reserve, maybe. Its stunning how they captured the change in atmosphere once you leave the forest and climb into the mountain, under this wide and empty sky. Great!

Last edited by Skybird; 09-26-14 at 06:19 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 01:27 PM   #280
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

I've got the 7mm and I'm enjoying it.

But I must say the game has a bug that completely threw me off and I haven't played since.

I have eyefinity setup (3 monitors) and the game runs in that resolution, making some amazing visuals.

HOWEVER, the huntermate doesn't detect footprints in such resolution, so every time I find footprints I need to change my resolution back to 1920x1080, identify it, then switch back to 5760x1080. And after I do that, the graphics look a bit weird, colors get screwed up, and the only way to fix it is by restarting the game. Everything else gets detected normally with the huntermate in my normal resolution, just not the damn footprints.

And after you've played in 5760x1080, you don't ever accept going back to 1920x1080, ever!

This is the same reason why I'm not playing SH5, no eyefinity support.

Pisses me off.
Old 09-29-14, 01:31 PM   #281
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

While I can see where your frustration is coming from, that is simply the downside of being a tech-pioneer who has to use the newest/latest toys.
It won't be fleshed out/supported all the time.

I enjoy my tH in 1920x1080 without these bugs...
Old 11-05-14, 07:38 PM   #282
Skybird
Soaring

Important update: it now is possible to play Arkanoid within the game again, on the Huntermate display. No longer killing time on your highstand with 80s-style car races alone. They even run a forum highscore list.

And for the narcissistic macho hunters amongst us: you can now have beards.

The population density of animals at the alpine reserve has been reduced. Which is welcomed.
Old 11-05-14, 09:02 PM   #283
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

As a side note, I'm back again, got my personal stuff sorted so I'll be on most nights. Just look for Monkster87 to add to friends or just look for a server with that name
Old 11-06-14, 01:28 AM   #284
Skybird
Soaring

Found an issue tonight, my account seems to not exist anymore, at least both name and password do not get accepted anymore. Customer service time. I wonder what they have messed up this time. Unfortunately, technical reliability is not the shining part of The Hunter, it seems, theiur launcher was and is crap, apparently, or their account register. Its the second time I am locked out.
Old 11-06-14, 03:15 AM   #285
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well, good news is your account is not gone.
Hopefully you did not get hacked or something.
But I wouldn't worry too much.