SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-19, 05:05 PM   #8536
MrMojok69
Loader

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Excellent! Thanks guys for all your hard work!
MrMojok69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 09:04 PM   #8537
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
One thing that none of the other mods have is ships that shoot torpedoes not only at you, but at each other.
Don't forget enemy submarines and aircraft. I have taken a torpedo hit from an IJN submarine more than once thus far. Also had a Japanese float plane drop a torpedo at me. That one missed though.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 11:44 AM   #8538
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Timing for Radar?

I thought most boats would be able to add a surface radar by mid-1942. I have completed two patrols beyond that with no SJ offered for my Gato out of Midway. It is now October 6, preparing to view the next patrol assignment, but still no SJ.

I tried saving, loading the save, exiting the game, reloading the save, to no avail. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a timing issue that I missed someplace?

Thanks for checking this out.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 02:12 PM   #8539
Skipper44
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Default CTD Early '42

I'm having a persistent ctd with an S Boat in the Asiatic Fleet in early 1942

I just finished my second S Boat patrol. The first one saw me relocating from Manilla to Surabaya with no issues. On this one, I was out from the end of February '42 to April of the same year. As Java fell, I was told to go first to Freemantle and then to Brisbane. At one point loading from this save the home port anchor was on Freemantle, on the other, neither. Proceeding to Freemantle wouldn't let me end the patrol so I had to take the long way around to Brisbane in an S boat which took quite a while!

Anyways, once I try to leave the office screen and go on my 3rd patrol I get a ctd. I've tried starting both inside and outside of the harbor. I've tried transferring to Dutch Harbor but also get a ctd when trying to leave port.

I was pretty proud of the 2 heavy cruisers I bagged with an S boat and would rather not lose the career, if possible.
Skipper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-19, 02:41 AM   #8540
MrMojok69
Loader

For the longest time I didn't have a working DVD drive in my computer to use with my SH4 Gold DVD to do a fresh install, but now I do. I have the disk and the drive and I know how to completely wipe the game off the OS, and I am ready for this.

I have been playing TMO, and later TMO with RSRD on top of it for the longest time, but now I am ready for something different. I am looking forward to this, it sounds great. I should bite the bullet and do it now.
Old 09-28-19, 11:29 AM   #8541
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper44 View Post
I'm having a persistent ctd with an S Boat in the Asiatic Fleet in early 1942

I just finished my second S Boat patrol. The first one saw me relocating from Manilla to Surabaya with no issues. On this one, I was out from the end of February '42 to April of the same year. As Java fell, I was told to go first to Freemantle and then to Brisbane. At one point loading from this save the home port anchor was on Freemantle, on the other, neither. Proceeding to Freemantle wouldn't let me end the patrol so I had to take the long way around to Brisbane in an S boat which took quite a while!

Anyways, once I try to leave the office screen and go on my 3rd patrol I get a ctd. I've tried starting both inside and outside of the harbor. I've tried transferring to Dutch Harbor but also get a ctd when trying to leave port.

I was pretty proud of the 2 heavy cruisers I bagged with an S boat and would rather not lose the career, if possible.
Make certain to use, "Large Address Aware.exe".
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-19, 11:37 AM   #8542
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Default Hydrophone on Surface Issue

I understand that the S-Boats have the hydrophone on the deck and that most fleet subs have a hydrophone on the deck and a second FM receiver on the chin, along with two hydrophone operators.

Can someone point to online resources indicating that the FM receiver was useful in locating enemy ships.

I know that RFB does not allow such and even underwater, the hydrophones are useless in rough weather. I also notice that the TMO and FOTRS, the FM receivers are just as good as radar and in RFB, radar is a bit finicky.

I have read all the "how hydrophones work" articles I can find online and would like something like a ship's log to indicate the useful range of the FM receiver.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-19, 01:38 PM   #8543
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
I understand that the S-Boats have the hydrophone on the deck and that most fleet subs have a hydrophone on the deck and a second FM receiver on the chin, along with two hydrophone operators.

Can someone point to online resources indicating that the FM receiver was useful in locating enemy ships.

I know that RFB does not allow such and even underwater, the hydrophones are useless in rough weather. I also notice that the TMO and FOTRS, the FM receivers are just as good as radar and in RFB, radar is a bit finicky.

I have read all the "how hydrophones work" articles I can find online and would like something like a ship's log to indicate the useful range of the FM receiver.

Thanks.
Read these. They are a wealth of information for anyone who wishes to know about what went on through the captains eyes.

WAR PATROL LOGS

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-19, 01:40 PM   #8544
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok69 View Post
For the longest time I didn't have a working DVD drive in my computer to use with my SH4 Gold DVD to do a fresh install, but now I do. I have the disk and the drive and I know how to completely wipe the game off the OS, and I am ready for this.

I have been playing TMO, and later TMO with RSRD on top of it for the longest time, but now I am ready for something different. I am looking forward to this, it sounds great. I should bite the bullet and do it now.
I would just copy the files to your hard drive and run the installation off of there and never have to use a dvd again. I haven't seen a use for a dvd drive in about three years.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-19, 04:07 PM   #8545
MrMojok69
Loader

Good idea, I will do that.
Old 09-28-19, 04:44 PM   #8546
MrMojok69
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Read these. They are a wealth of information for anyone who wishes to know about what went on through the captains eyes.

WAR PATROL LOGS
I will add that if you don't want to make a scribd account, you can also read them online here

Although ads do pop up on that site (they close after about five seconds or so)
Old 09-28-19, 05:42 PM   #8547
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
I will add that if you don't want to make a scribd account, you can also read them online here

Just read the USS Salmon log for entire war. Many "Ship sighted...", "Ship detected on radar..." and "Propeller heard...". But, in every single case of "Propeller heard...", Salmon was submerged. It never detected an enemy ship with hydrophone for the entire war, while on the surface. Interesting. Will read more logs. Thanks.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 09-28-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 05:16 AM   #8548
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:

Just read the USS Gar log for entire war. Many "Ship sighted...", "Ship detected on radar..." and "Propeller heard...". But, in every single case of "Propeller heard...", Gar was submerged. It never detected an enemy ship with hydrophone for the entire war, while on the surface. Interesting. Will read more logs.
Old 09-29-19, 06:59 AM   #8549
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:

Just read the USS Trigger log for entire war. Exciting stuff! Many "Ship sighted...", "Ship detected on radar..." and "Propeller heard...". But, in every single case of "Propeller heard...", Trigger was submerged. It never detected an enemy ship with hydrophone for the entire war, while on the surface. Interesting. Will read more logs.
Old 09-29-19, 08:02 AM   #8550
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:

Just read the USS Gato log for entire war. Exciting stuff! Many "Ship sighted...", "Ship detected on radar..." and "Propeller heard...". But, in every single case of "Propeller heard...", Gato was submerged. It never detected an enemy ship with hydrophone for the entire war, while on the surface.