SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-20, 07:43 AM   #811
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Head of Italy’s co-governing Democratic Party tests positive for coronavirus.
Quote:
"So, it has arrived, I also have the coronavirus,” Zingaretti said in a video shared on his Facebook page, adding that he is “well” and currently in self-isolation.

“My family is also following the protocols and the local health unit is contacting the people who have been close to me in recent days,” the PD Secretary added.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 08:49 AM   #812
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

So Traveller are you going to individually list every case of Corona virus that crops up around the world?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:18 AM   #813
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

It won't be long before it won't be possible to keep up. The US is in the stage China was in around the middle of Jan. In the next two weeks there will be a flood of new cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

And Dr Harries warned the public against panic-buying, saying it was unnecessary and it could "engender panic in itself".

I wonder what he thinks "panic-buying" is? Getting 2 weeks of supplies? How does he consider that panic?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:24 AM   #814
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
So Traveller are you going to individually list every case of Corona virus that crops up around the world?
Sure, why not? Only about 6,000,000,000 more to go.

US Navy sailor based in Italy tests positive for coronavirus.
Quote:
A US Navy sailor stationed in Naples, Italy, has tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the first positive case for a US service member stationed in Europe, according to a statement from US European Command and U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

But seriously, Neil is correct. The numbers are increasing so quickly that soon it will become futile and pointless. Maybe from now on, only the more important people who become infected will be worth posting about.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-07-20 at 09:35 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:34 AM   #815
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Testing only reveals the already obvious. There is no containing this, its been out from at least mid January in the U.S. long before any border closures. I dont doubt 10's of thousands of people if not more have already contracted the virus defeated it and have long since moved on. If we did test everybody the current Case Fatality Rate would plummet to probably less than 1 percent. But because I'm nearing old fart status and there hasn't been an approved vaccine yet I still following CDC recommendations and reduce social contact which in my mind may help make people like Buddahaid's job easier. Plus I'm really diggin my time off

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-07-20 at 09:58 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:45 AM   #816
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
It won't be long before it won't be possible to keep up. The US is in the stage China was in around the middle of Jan. In the next two weeks there will be a flood of new cases.

I wonder what he thinks "panic-buying" is? Getting 2 weeks of supplies? How does he consider that panic?
I can't say for sure but I know that this morning at our towns largest supermarket they are out of painkillers, soap, hand sanitisers and toilet rolls.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:45 AM   #817
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Sure, why not? Only about 6,000,000,000 more to go.

Consider how these cases evolve. They appear in China. A few weeks later an outbreak occurs in Egypt. Then in the US. All from international travel. People are infected and contagious long before they show symptoms. What are the odds that people who travelled from Egypt (and Italy, South Korea, etc) had contact with someone who had contact with someone from Wuhan?

I don't know how many Americans are in Egypt and traveling back to the US, likewise with other non-Americans being in Egypt and then travelling to the US but consider: let's say 10,000 people came from Egypt to the US in the last 3 weeks. That means the virus has spread wide enough in Egypt three weeks ago for some of the 10,000 travelers to have come in contact with someone from among the 98 million Egyptians and get infected before going to the US. That suggests that this was either a hell of a fluke or a lot of Egyptians are infected.

Right now the US looks very much like China did 6 weeks ago. Here's what we may have to look forward to. And remember: China was able to slow the rate of infection by draconian quarantine measures. People in the US may not abide by these steps, someone will get their feelings hurt by being told stay home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wuhan0306.jpg (71.5 KB, 29 views)
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 10:01 AM   #818
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Hoarding like this in German is "Hamsterkäufe" (buying like a hamster). "Hamstern" is an old derogatory Nazi phrasing, brandmarking people who by the act of doing it were accused of expressing their lack of trust into the NSDAP govenrment's all-knowing, all-capable action. Today, the term is seeing a revial, and for the exactly same purpose: defaming people not blindly believing the comments and actions of the government.

It compareds a bit to the times when in the USSR there were no murderings happening. In those couple of years, such crimes were not called that, because that would have cast a shadow on the paradise that was so perfect that murder simply was no longer happening. Because a paradise where there is murder, is no paradise. It were accidents, unsolved mysteries, whatever - but under no circumstance was it murder.

Its also used by antisocial parasite parties preparing to legitmise plundeirng form those who prepared themselves, while many stupids and parsites did nothiugn and in time of need nevertheless hold others responisble for teir failure. "He has goods, he is a hamster, he is anti-social and not solidaric with our needs! Just serves him right if he has to give up what he has!"

You have to express your solidrarity by not preparing but trusting the regi... I mean the government. "Nothing to see here. Walk on, no need to prepare, no need spread alarmism! and panic! Dont believe the fear!-mongers. Masks are not needed by ordinary people. Desinfectants are not needed, ordinary soap will do (actually that probably is true, but still...)"

To be clear, there are hoarders doing exaggerating it, or doing so to earna fortune by selling it for moon prices. The point is that the brandmarking of "hamsters" does not differentiate between reasonably saving reserves for times of need, and abusers. And that non-discrimination is wanted, it puts the reasonably and responsibly acting in the same boat like the abusing ones.
Old 03-07-20, 10:05 AM   #819
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Isn't it odd that more testing with more testing kits becoming available will produce more results of the virus Covid-19
already being in the general population?

I sure thought I had it with all of the same symptoms as the real thing, but no testing kits at my VA left me with no option left except to self treat it, plus a little help from the VA pharmacy with codeine cough medicine ...

30 days later I feel a lot better, but my point is what if I did really have covvid-19 and didn't know it? I did all of the same things the others did that were told to stay at home and to avoid contact with others. Not everyone dies, not everone goes to the hospital.

Just wait it out be prepared don't even answer the phone get lots of rest don't panic. I've been living off of FedEx deliveries and a nice lady brought over lots of frozen food for me.

The numbers are going to increase, but we all can still live through this ... It can't get us all
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 10:17 AM   #820
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

In the long run I see something posiitve coming from this. The era of unconditional optimism in globalization, is over. We have had a long time now when all the many disadvantages of it were simply ignored or denied. But there always have been at least as many loosers of globalization, as there have been winners of it, I think the total balance in the end has to be described as a negative sum. We will now see Western companies moving back production from China, Vietnam and other cheap-wages countries back to where it should have stayed.That important key areas of our production, that are of vital importance for our economies at home, come back to the West, is of utmost importance. Certain things must be produced in many diversified locations around the globe instead of just one centralised production campus that supplies all the planet - and if that place breaks down, then it pulls the rest of the world down along with it. Pharmaceuticals are the best exmaple, but there also are others.

Also, this will help to boost resistence to Chinese economic conquest.
Old 03-07-20, 11:34 AM   #821
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Isn't it odd that more testing with more testing kits becoming available will produce more results of the virus Covid-19
already being in the general population?

I sure thought I had it with all of the same symptoms as the real thing, but no testing kits at my VA left me with no option left except to self treat it, plus a little help from the VA pharmacy with codeine cough medicine ...

30 days later I feel a lot better, but my point is what if I did really have covvid-19 and didn't know it? I did all of the same things the others did that were told to stay at home and to avoid contact with others. Not everyone dies, not everone goes to the hospital.

Just wait it out be prepared don't even answer the phone get lots of rest don't panic. I've been living off of FedEx deliveries and a nice lady brought over lots of frozen food for me.

The numbers are going to increase, but we all can still live through this ... It can't get us all

Well if there is a test to tell whether you have it now then there should also be a way to tell if you had it before no?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 11:49 AM   #822
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I think that's true, there should be antibodies in the system that will show previous exposure.
Old 03-07-20, 12:06 PM   #823
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

REPORT: NBA, Spurs told to prepare to play games without fans, only 'essential personnel'

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...He0Cs_rpaEe61Y

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO - The Spurs are reportedly preparing to play games in front of no one, other than essential personnel.

According to a report from Sham Charania with The Athletic, the NBA sent a memo to franchises saying they should prepare to play games without fans. The memo allegedly also asked teams to identify what was called "essential staff" present for the games.

This comes amid the coronavirus outbreak.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 12:14 PM   #824
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
A sobering analysis of how coronavirus is likely to impact the US healthcare system suggests that hospitals will be quickly overwhelmed with patients, and that all available beds will be filled by around May 8th if the virus tracks with Italy's figures and 10% of patients require an ICU.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/all...rding-analysis

We’re looking at about 1M US cases by the end of April, 2M by ~May 5, 4M by ~May 11, and so on. Exponentials are hard to grasp, but this is how they go.
This, its why I decided to quit my job and self-isolate, one more bed available for someone who needs it. Fortunately I can afford too as well. Also one reason why I think testing would be a waste of time and money since we already know it never was contained to begin with. We are also already aware of the infection rates and can from that and other information extrapolate the number of infected in the U.S. already.

Get your rest Buddahaid, take care of your body and mind its your best defense. If this article has any merit you are going to be busy

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-07-20 at 12:28 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 02:45 PM   #825
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Had some Guy knock on my door about something.
1st thing he did was offer his hand for a shake.
I told him I don't shake hands with the Corona virus going around.
Better safe then sorry!

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan