SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-21, 07:44 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Torpedo Impact(well on each other lol) and lingering remains of a sunken submarine

First patrol of USS Drum April-June 1945 off Tokyo.

Fired one Mark 14 from stern tube at a small freighter...it went into circular run, so ordered dive to 100 feet and utilizing the great feature of the PK on the TDC, fired another torpedo was we were diving.

Cam was off so went to attack map to check on status of second torpedo , launched fine took proper track but then noticed...oh no the first torpedo was coming around...would they collide? What are the odds? Surely not! lol Well, they did but did not explode as expected. However, the first torpedo did bump my second torpedo off course lmao, pushed it to starboard and gyro never readjusted lol. Just after colliding, the first torpedo (circular run) circled back and exploded above the Drum , which was now at 100 feet. Felt and heard the impact though. The second torpedo missed astern of target(judging by sound) and exploded after running out of fuel. Made me laugh lol Wish had external cam on for that one, would have made a great screen shot. Torpedoes playing bumper cars.

Second...while departing San Francisco for first sea trial in February 1942 with USS Drum...encountered a surfaced IJN submarine off San Francisco at dawn. Sub fired torpedoes and a deck gun at Drum. Fortunately evasion and diving prevented damage. Managed to move into position before the sub made its "dive" (hit last waypoint and deleted from the sim, simulating a dive, quite aggravating when you sped time tracking and this happens lol). Sink submarine with Mark 14 torpedoes, two hits.

Proceeded on to conduct sea trials over next 48 hours. When returned crossed over position where sub was sunk. Scanning to see if there was any debris still lingering(oil slicks and debris often linger for days have noticed) and while no debris, noticed some bubbles. These bubbles were in exact position where submarine was sunk. I had noticed these bubbles when surfaced after sinking the submarine, shocked to see them still there.

First screenshot shows the clash of the torpedoes lol and second the bubbles.

Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 08:23 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Second...while departing San Francisco for first sea trial in February 1942 with USS Drum...encountered a surfaced IJN submarine off San Francisco at dawn. Sub fired torpedoes and a deck gun at Drum.
Hey! that's just like in the movie 1941. the IJN sub fired a torpedo that hit the ferris wheel and ejected Herbie and the Mayor of Amity out into the Pacific!
i love that movie!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:59 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Hey! that's just like in the movie 1941. the IJN sub fired a torpedo that hit the ferris wheel and ejected Herbie and the Mayor of Amity out into the Pacific!
i love that movie!

Haha that is true, I forgot about that. I had a good chuckle out of it happening in the sim. Wish I had external cam on for that one lol but got a screen shot of attack map (below). I am just really shocked they did not explode, other than their sides basically rubbed together. All the years in SH 4, never had this happen, prob never will again lol.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote