Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-21, 03:13 PM   #1996
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Once they've been thoroughly tested and FDA-approved - by the same exact lengthy process that every other drug or therapy has gone through that can take years to complete - even then, no.
Did you just give a rationalized 'yes but no' answer?
Old 08-18-21, 03:15 PM   #1997
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Nope. It will never be a potential way.
So what was this all about?:

Quote:
Society is full of irresponsible adults. This is where the rule of law comes in.
Old 08-18-21, 03:16 PM   #1998
Arlo
The Old Man

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...zl4YMejzK3m3uo
Old 08-18-21, 03:23 PM   #1999
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
So what was this all about?:
The law will not FORCE vaccinations. Sheesh....
Old 08-18-21, 03:37 PM   #2000
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
The law will not FORCE vaccinations. Sheesh....
So we agree that personal responsibility plays an important role in society, then?

Shuheesh!
Old 08-18-21, 03:43 PM   #2001
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
So we agree that personal responsibility plays an important role in society, then?

Shuheesh!
Maybe not a nice assertion.

Do the American know about personal responsibility ?
Why this assertion, one of my American friend wrote in our Wuhan thread many month ago.
Give me freedom or give me death

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 04:18 PM   #2002
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Maybe not a nice assertion.

Do the American know about personal responsibility ?
Why this assertion, one of my American friend wrote in our Wuhan thread many month ago.
Give me freedom or give me death

Markus
Not all Americans are the same. Some of us do indeed believe in personal responsibility and our responsibility to each other in society. This was the hallmark of our greatest generation and they tried their best to endow succeeding generations with a sense of it. Then there are some who use platitudes built from historical patriotic phrases of which they have very little contextual understanding. I would like to think the ratio falls more to the former. Good thing not all of us measure by volume (the noise to signal ratio, that is).
Old 08-18-21, 04:27 PM   #2003
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Not all Americans are the same. Some of us do indeed believe in personal responsibility and our responsibility to each other in society. This was the hallmark of our greatest generation and they tried their best to endow succeeding generations with a sense of it. Then there are some who use platitudes built from historical patriotic phrases of which they have very little contextual understanding. I would like to think the ratio falls more to the former. Good thing not all of us measure by volume (the noise to signal ratio, that is).
You're right I shouldn't have generalized. It's the same all over the world some people take responsibility towards others while some just don't care.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 04:35 PM   #2004
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I shouldn't have generalized. It's the same all over the world..
Ummm..

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 05:02 PM   #2005
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
I knew a bomber pilot who flew two B-17 missions over Europe then was sent to fly B29’s over Japan. He joined because he was trying to impress a girl he later married, most of his friends he said joined simply out of peer pressure. I joined because it was that or jail. Not sure if any of those qualify as hallmark moments in American history.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 05:30 PM   #2006
Arlo
The Old Man

*sigh*

Then there's lack of respect for previous generations which, in itself, indicates no real sense of connection to history. Don't get me wrong, over time the U.S. whitewashed a lot of what it did and presented a narrative in history books that completely ignored terrible things. But those things, by and large, were driven by people of wealth and power, motivated by greed and selfishness. The history of the generation (the public, overall) that survived the Great Depression and fought World War Two is, collectively, admirable and it accomplished great things for the U.S (as it did in and for other nations).

What is generational and can form a foundation for following generations still involves a sense of honor, humanity and duty to the nation (world, for that matter) in how we treat our fellow citizens and people of all nations and cultures. You really can't demand or expect other people to live up to standards or ideals that you, yourself, do not.

[edited out additional and unnecessary commentary about unnecessary commentary]

Last edited by Arlo; 08-18-21 at 06:02 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 09:15 PM   #2007
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Me neither. The definition of hubris is 'excessive pride or self-confidence.' Sound familiar Mr. 'with those odds?' I've never seen so many 'proud, tough men' scared of needles.
That the best you've got? veiled insults? all I'm saying is, If you want to get the Vaccine get it, if you don't, then don't. Either way I don't really care. What chaps my hide is people like you who are arrogant enough to "think" they know what's best for everyone and then tries to belittle them into compliance.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 01:31 AM   #2008
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
That the best you've got? veiled insults? all I'm saying is, If you want to get the Vaccine get it, if you don't, then don't. Either way I don't really care. What chaps my hide is people like you who are arrogant enough to "think" they know what's best for everyone and then tries to belittle them into compliance.
You're chapping your own hide. If you feel 'belittled' in this online conversation by things I've posted it's on your own conscience. I haven't once even hinted that you should get the vaccine or wear a mask. I merely suggested that rather than prove a point by endangering others ... those that insist the virus and vaccine are of no concern (or are of a dangerous origin, themselves) take their convictions to the grave instead of the hospital (where there are people trying to survive the madness thrust upon them by others).

I'm not going to go out of my way to candy coat that pill for you (or anyone) but it's not personally delivered to you to bruise your feelings. You can walk away from the dish and pretend it ain't there. AAMOF, I think you have that skill exemplified.
Old 08-19-21, 10:37 PM   #2009
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Best press conference to date.
Old 08-20-21, 11:36 AM   #2010
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Something Is Wrong with the President

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...the-president/

Quote:
This is a highly unusual schedule for a president during a foreign-policy crisis.

After making no public appearances for four days — during a major foreign crisis — President Biden read a 20-minute speech off a teleprompter on Monday afternoon and took no questions. He immediately returned to Camp David. He had no events on his schedule Tuesday. On Wednesday, he gave another 20-minute speech about vaccine boosters off a teleprompter from Camp David, and again took no questions. Also on Wednesday, the president sat for an on-camera interview with George Stephanopoulos that did not go well. According to the White House public records, Biden has had two phone conversations with foreign leaders in the past ten days — one with Boris Johnson and one with Angela Merkel.

iden is now insisting that the chaos of a Taliban takeover was inevitable, even though he stood before the country on July 8 and specifically assured the country that a Taliban takeover was not inevitable:

Q: Is a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan now inevitable?

THE PRESIDENT: No, it is not.

Q: Why?

THE PRESIDENT: Because you — the Afghan troops have 300,000 well-equipped — as well-equipped as any army in the world — and an air force against something like 75,000 Taliban. It is not inevitable.

Biden also said that day that, “I trust the capacity of the Afghan military, who is better trained, better equipped, and more re- — more competent in terms of conducting war” and “the likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely.”
His lack of mental cognizance is getting significantly worse. Handover of the office by the end of the year.

Quote:
Elsewhere in the Stephanopoulos interview, Biden insisted that, contrary to published reports, his military advisers had not recommended keeping 2,500 troops in the country:

STEPHANOPOULOS: But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops.

BIDEN: No, they didn’t. It was split. Tha– that wasn’t true. That wasn’t true.

STEPHANOPOULOS: They didn’t tell you that they wanted troops to stay?

BIDEN: No. Not at — not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn’t argue against that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told — your military advisors did not tell you, “No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It’s been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that”?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall.

There are notes of these meetings that can be declassified. We can see if, as the Wall Street Journal and other publications reported, “The president’s top generals, including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley, urged Mr. Biden to keep a force of about 2,500 troops, the size he inherited, while seeking a peace agreement between warring Afghan factions, to help maintain stability. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, who previously served as a military commander in the region, said a full withdrawal wouldn’t provide any insurance against instability.” If they did not, Biden is telling the truth and there’s been an insane effort by Pentagon brass leaking that they’re warning the president of about certain dangers, and then not doing so in the meetings.

Biden genuinely does not remember what was said and recommended to him in a meeting several months ago.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote