Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-10, 09:29 AM   #61
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Now, here's something I have always been interested in: crew AI. It seems in SH5 their ability to detect ships is slightly less than yours. To test this out, I approached an enemy task force based on sound bearings. I kept watch with the AI crew on the bridge, and I was able to make out the ships on the horizon before the AI crew did. Big plus for that, I like incentives to get more involved in the gameplay and this one is appreciated.
I was under the impression it was designed that way in SH3 and SH4 as well. Am I remembering wrong?
Old 02-22-10, 09:34 AM   #62
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0
Default ok...

Nice review, indeed. Though it sets off all of my alarm bells. The game looks quite arcadish, and some of the features you described support the change of audience Ubisoft may be trying here. Plus the bug issues of SHII, III and IV before repeated patching appears to reoccur. That was the main reason I didn't buy SHIV (besides lack of new features), so here is maybe a dejá vu? My conclusion (to be adjusted by future reviews) is that SHV will likely require substantial patching and at least 1-2 years for modders to remove the arcade elements, and bring back the core of SHIII with the other boats and the last war years. Before serious modders come up with such supermods, there is little chance that I would abandon SHIII even though it has no wolf packs.

Anyway, with the online-DRM for single player my answer remains No by principle. So many other companies from gaming and software to music and DVDs have started to reduce use of DRM as they seemed to realize that it hurts more customers than pirates, that Ubisoft's move seems to be totally surreal. Some companies do not care about customer wishes, and I really don't want to see the times where you have to be online 100% of the time if you want to run anything on your computer -- and if we don't stop this trend by exerting our customers rights, Neal will be right that companies will try that in the future.

One question: The campaign speaks of "missions"? Neal, can you specify more accurately how the campaign system works? This seems to be the only highlight here. Are those "scripted" missions? Or are all time-relevant, local campaigns running simultaneously and I can select where to head to with my boat and influence the outcome?
Example: I saw the Poland mission, or the British East coast convoys. Or both active simulationeously? And what if I want to ignore both and head my boat over to the french West coast?
janh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:44 AM   #63
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufsed View Post
I would guess that most of the negativity is coming from those not so hardened enthusiasts.

I strongly disagree.
Old 02-22-10, 09:54 AM   #64
jerm138
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Thanks for the preview.
And thanks for mentioning the bit about the interface. I have found it to be an eyesore since the first time I saw it, but haven't heard many other complaints about it (with the DRM complaints drowning everything else out.)

I'm sure the interface can be modded, but you'd think they would have made it 1940's-style from the beginning, or maybe offer a couple different-style interfaces (who knows, maybe they will)... that way the A.D.D. iGeneration can still have their sleek-looking modern interface, and we'd get something that's more fitting to the era.
Old 02-22-10, 10:24 AM   #65
Lord Justice
Previously 4Para

Downloads: 51

Sir Neal, good stuff, i think it likely to do the cause some good with pepole of positive judgement. A much needed sensible satisfaction to read, thank you kindly sir and good day.
Old 02-22-10, 10:48 AM   #66
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm138 View Post
...I'm sure the interface can be modded, but you'd think they would have made it 1940's-style from the beginning, or maybe offer a couple different-style interfaces (who knows, maybe they will)... that way the A.D.D. iGeneration can still have their sleek-looking modern interface, and we'd get something that's more fitting to the era.
That was my take on it. The 40s might just be too retro for the younger crowd for them to get into it. As they've been stating, they are trying to appeal to the greater masses and maybe their "research" has indicated this sort of thing... Who knows. With the developers stating how modifiable it will be I'll be people will be able to have whatever kind of interface they want.
Old 02-22-10, 11:41 AM   #67
Ping Jockey
Medic

Downloads: 294

Good preview Neal!!
Old 02-22-10, 11:46 AM   #68
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Thanks Neal.
I hope I'm not out of line here, but I thought that first screenshot made such a nice wallpaper that I edited out the GUI elements and made it available here:
http://webpages.charter.net/mdpeyton...5-27-16-73.jpg

For me it`s a great and nice wallpaper of the game... wich I will never see
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 12:50 PM   #69
Eightbit
Seaman

Downloads: 22

It's kinda funny actually. Because it looks like a really nice interface (lots of features) But I have to agree, sh series has never really used much of an interface or had much need for a big one. Sadly its pretty unfitting.

I think I actually enjoyed the interiors of sh3 more then what I have seen of sh5. sh3 seemed more gloomy and dark. Also looked a little more detailed.
Eightbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 12:54 PM   #70
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

Thank you for the preview, Neal.

Although I will not be purchasing SH5 until something is done about the DRM straight-jacket, I would like to offer an optimistic opinion regarding the (currently) arcadish interface.

My unsupported theory is that the devs were told by Ubisoft very early on that Ubi wanted SH5 to be as appealing to young and inexperienced gamers as possible in order to avoid letting the franchise go "stale." This explains the attention to eye-candy, RGP or FPS elements, and the simplistic Windows 7 type interface. Plus, the devs were held to a fast development cycle in order to get the game out the door as soon as possible. This forced them to concentrate on just enough for a "basic" sub simulation: only one submarine type, a shortened campaign (avoiding the technological complexities of the late war), simplistic (but functional) interface, etc.

I would not be surprised (but do not expect) that one of the early patches will contain a more authentic interface. More likely, Ubisoft will concentrate on squashing the bugs caused by the rushed delivery and leave the "fixing" of the interface to the modders. This probably explains the devs comment that SH5 will be the most friendly to modders SH yet. Making the game easy to mod relieves the devs of extra work and helps them to get the game out the door quickly.

Such is the state of PC gaming these days, I'm afraid.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:11 PM   #71
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the preview... DRM aside for a moment, it comes across as a more graphical SH3....i.e. better looking environment but just as buggy as all the other SH titles.

Now factor in DRM and its of no interest at all to me.

One for the failure charts methinks and will most probably sell less than SH4.
Old 02-22-10, 01:16 PM   #72
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Anyone notice your first mission as kaleun in the "Total Germany" part of the campaign was to sink 50,000t on the East coast of Britain from 6th Sept '39- June 1940?

50,000t
How do you know it was a single mission? Looks to me to be one of the "major goals" in the campaign, that you and other subs achieve over time.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:55 PM   #73
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Thanks Neal, a fair preview in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Thanks Neal. Twas a good read... with a rather negative ending.
No point sugar coating it, the game has some negative issues, which hopefully will be resolved in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufsed View Post
I would guess that most of the negativity is coming from those not so hardened enthusiasts.
A bold statement, and completely untrue. As a matter of fact, the game has received negativity from all quarters, and rightly so.
Old 02-22-10, 02:02 PM   #74
tienman75
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Thanks, Neal
Old 02-22-10, 03:19 PM   #75
conus00
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 166

Thanks for the preview, Neal.
Well written, with good points and insights. Unfortunately it just confirmed my decision to not to buy the game (at it's release anyway) and wait and see...

I'm not sure how busy are you in your real life but here is a thought:
Considering, that you have just written preview and you will be waiting for final release it would be great if you could start a new thread (something like Q&A between you and the subsim community) and address some of the questions and concerns.

Something like
Q: Is it possible to run both diesels separately?
A: Yes, in a copy I have tested it is possible.

It would be nice to have them all in one thread.
If your time restrictions don't allow it, of course we understand..