SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-20, 07:42 AM   #1876
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Catfish, fall doch nicht immer wieder auf den selben Blödsinn rein.

Drostens comments owe to the simple fact that they want to channel all masks into the health system, since politicians failed to build the reserves needed there although they knew since 2013. A study has shown that even a kitchen towel before your face catches 50% of particles that an FFP3 masks would catch, after 3 hours wearing it it catches even 5% more, 55%. That is not a perfect seal, but better than nothign if you considers that Drosten also says that the virus load during exposition is very relevant: the higher the virus load if you get infected, the more severe your later symptoms, the less virus you catch the milder the desease goes. A towel reduces the virus load by one half. But go on, dont protect your face if you think that is clever.

Its not the first time that Drosten -and others - does not tell the full truth. When talking about aerosols, he said that moisture drops from breath drop to the ground within seocnds and reach out just one meter. WHAT HE DID NOT SAY is that these are just the thick and big drops of up to 1mm in diameter. But we breath out a much finer aerosol, with every stroke of breath, just breathe against a window and you see what it is about. These particles are much, much smaller, get inhaled deep into the lung (VERY bad) and can float in the sky for up to 1.5 hours like an invisible mist. These are infested with not as heavy loads of virus, still they are infested.

Only a stupid can want to seriously argue that this is no problem, especially in closed rooms with high moisture in them and little exchnage of fresh air. Drosten is not stupid, he just faces tough practical constraints. Also, the Asian countries fighting to keep numbers down, all have one - amongst several other - measurements in common: the population is edcuated form childhood on to run a much stricter hygienics regime and to wear face maks, mostly to protect others form oneself, but in times on pandemics and where available also thicker masks that also allow the wearing individual to be protected from the other.

Finally, masks help to prevent your hand from touching your nose and mouth, movements of habit that we all do all the time and that we mostly do not be aware of. Habits. Hard to beat.

Drosten does not necessarily lie. He is under pressure from harsh facts, and these facts are that we allowed to be in dramatic short supply of masks, and thats why he does not tell all the truth, to prevent the public from buying the small amounts of masks availabe that he wants to see in use in hospitals. I cannot even attack him for that, I do not know what I woudl do in his place. But to say masks have no effect and do no good, simply is wrong. Makes no sense. And at least 1.5 billion Asians strictly dosagree wth him anyway, and the statistics are in their favour. They have accheived what the West so far struggles in: to slow down and even contain the pandemic.

Stop pushing that dangerous nonsense. It borders physical injury to mislead people like this. Everybody should use what is available to him to protect him from thin layers of aerosols, which is especially relevant in crowds (thats why they do social distancing!), and closed rooms compartmdents of any kind. Even three layers of cotton is better than nothing. Even a leaf of paper held before your face when the other is coughingat your direction is better than nothing, damn, I cannot believe that I even need to explain this. Whats wrong with you, Catfish?

Keep the load of virus you get hit by as low as you can. SaysDrosten himself. So use whatever is available to to protect yourself, means: nose, eyes, mouth. Every little bit helps. every little bit may be the bit that makes the difference for you. A towel, a surgical masks, a sel-made cotton wool mask, a FFP2 or even FFP3 respirator mask. They all shield you, OBVIOUSLY, some do more, some do less. The effect depends on the quality. But they all have an effect at least. They all help you to shift chances in your favour. And that is what it is about: to bribe your luck, to influence chances in your favour.

I do not wear a FFP3 mask when driving on bicycle. Not when walking down the street. But when I enter a supermarket, or would walk close to the stands of a market, or enter a baker shop with the high moisture in the air there, before I enter such places, I put it on and also wear thin latex gloves (which i take off and do away once I leave).

Heck, grow up, people. This is elemental, profound reason! This is the 101 of hygienics, like washing your hands! Drosten would tell people not to wash their hands with soap if soap would be in short supply and would be needed in hospitals. What else should he do, eh...?

Last edited by Skybird; 03-26-20 at 08:06 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 08:39 AM   #1877
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Some 3.3m Americans filed jobless claims last week - more than four times the previous record.

The figure was released after the US Senate passed a $2 trillion stimulus bill, including $1,200 for most adults.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 10:50 AM   #1878
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna
But New York state, the worst affected, says social restrictions are slowing hospital admissions.
Odd complaint due to the hospitals only check for Covid-19 at the hospital and not on the street probably due to not enough test kits yet or too many people on the street to check them to admit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna
Some 3.3m Americans filed jobless claims last week - more than four times the previous record.
Might even go up another 2 million before it is over
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 10:57 AM   #1879
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
[URL]Countries are starting to hoard food, threatening global trade

It’s not just grocery shoppers who are hoarding pantry staples. Some governments are moving to secure domestic food supplies during the conoravirus pandemic.
Domino effect, I do not want to see anymore fall as the outcome could be very nasty.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 03-26-20 at 11:17 AM.
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 11:29 AM   #1880
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-26-20, 12:23 PM   #1881
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hey Catfish (and everybody else thinking masks are not needed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus magazine
Ärztepräsident appelliert an deutsche Bevölkerung: „Tragen Sie Schutzmasken im öffentlichen Raum“

Topmeldung (16.37 Uhr): Ärztepräsident Klaus Reinhardt hat an die Bevölkerung appelliert, Schutzmasken zu tragen: "Mein Rat: Besorgen Sie sich einfache Schutzmasken oder basteln Sie sich selbst welche und tragen Sie diese im öffentlichen Raum", sagte der Präsident der Bundesärztekammer (BAEK) der "Neuen Osnabrücker Zeitung" (NOZ). "Diese Masken garantieren keinen Schutz vor Ansteckung. Aber sie können ein wenig helfen, das Risiko zu verringern, andere anzustecken oder selbst angesteckt zu werden."

Translation:

Doctors' president appeals to German population: "Wear protective masks in public spaces"

Top news (16:37): Doctor President Klaus Reinhardt has appealed to the population to wear protective masks: "My advice: Get simple protective masks or make your own and wear them in public space," said the President of the German Medical Association (BAEK ) of the "Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung" (NOZ). "These masks do not guarantee protection against infection. But they can help a little to reduce the risk of infecting others or being infected yourself."

Do the lazy ones now get it, yes...?

However, with how he continued he contradicted himself:

Reinhardt emphasized: "Wearing simple masks can also make sense to contain the virus." The simple masks made of fabric or other materials are only an auxiliary construct. "But they are better than nothing because they filter the air we breathe," he justified his appeal.

At the same time, the medical president urged the population to use only simple masks. "Important: Do not order or buy professional protective masks online," said Reinhardt. "If you are not in the healthcare sector or have previous medical conditions, you do not need FFP2 or FFP3 masks."

The professional protective masks are more urgently needed by others, Reinhardt explained in the NOZ: "Sick people should wear them when they are dealing with other people. Above all, doctors and nurses who care for sick people need these masks in order not to do so themselves fall ill and become carriers. " If a Covid sufferer and his caregiver or doctor wear an FFP2 mask, "the level of protection is very high. And that is crucial at the moment."

---

In other words: try protect yourself, but do not protect yourself well. Reason: exactly what I outlined in my earlier response to Catfish one page earlier. That puts a family father into an interesting position: should he put his family at risk by not buying FFP mask he could get, and instead have his wife knitting some textile together, or should he be "unsolidaric" with nurses and doctors and dare to chose the best protection for his family and children?

It did not had to be this way, if politicians would have done their homework since 2013. But it was so much more important to redirect a massive mass migration to Germany two years later and since then pay billions for that. And waste many more millions and billions on several other dubious political tasks, and voter briberies for the next elections.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-26-20 at 12:49 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 12:38 PM   #1882
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

We could've guessed this, uh?
What is happening right now will have a peak probably by summer, but what about the flu season of Nov/Dec 2020
will it then be called the virus season in 2021?

This is just a speed bump

But smooth roads are not guaranteed till we have a virus solution

Dr. Anthony Fauci agrees

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 01:15 PM   #1883
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some Danish politicians among them the former Prime minister have said they support Trump in his statement.

(which I of course, now when I'm writing this comment have forgot)

It was something with

The cost of a life should not exceed the cost of a nation

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 02:02 PM   #1884
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Spock’s Logic: “The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few.”
Old 03-26-20, 02:19 PM   #1885
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Half a million people have now contracted coronavirus globally.

UK deaths reach 578, a rise of more than 100 a day for the first time.

UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak announces help for self-employed.

Italy records another 712 deaths in 24 hours, bringing the total to 8,215

Confirmed cases in the US near 70,000, with at least 1,050 deaths.

G20 leaders vow to inject $5tn (£4.1tn) into the global economy.

Deaths surge by 655 in Spain, taking total to nearly 4,100

Old 03-26-20, 02:32 PM   #1886
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I've pretty much been isolated for over 3 weeks now.
I worry about my Wife as she works at a Dollar Tree.
My job keeps me away from the public 95% of the time.
Old 03-26-20, 02:40 PM   #1887
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Had to look that one up Jeff never having heard of it/them

Quote:
Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., formerly known as Only $1.00, is an American chain of discount variety stores that sells items for $1 or less. Headquartered in Chesapeake, Virginia, it is a Fortune 500 company and operates 15,115 stores throughout the 48 contiguous U.S. states and Canada.

Old 03-26-20, 02:43 PM   #1888
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Nancy is a Manager at one of the local stores.
Needless to say all kinds of idiots go there!
Old 03-26-20, 02:47 PM   #1889
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Oh I can imagine

Old 03-26-20, 02:50 PM   #1890
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon14

UK FOLKS THE BIG CLAP FOR THE NHS 8PM

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan