SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-19, 01:56 AM   #1
abaileyatd
Sailor man

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Guy, the game you describe has been made a million times... A game like Wolfpack has never existed before. Every single thing you describe is available right now in existing games. If you want a single player campaign with upgradable boats and time compression... why not Sh3, SH4, or Sh5 or whatever other subsim game? And if you're not willing to throw mods on these then you aren't willing to get what you want.

It is patently ridiculous to compare Wolfpack to Fortnite or MMO games. Wolfpack is an insanely detailed hardcore simulation of a type VII uboat that is a passion project developed by a tiny independent developer. It just happens to not have the scope and specific features YOU want. It isn't multiplayer to share achievements on facebook, nor do you have to pay microtransactions for custom Kreigsmarine hats or upgraded torpedoes... It is only multiplayer because one person cannot effectively control an entire boat by themselves when the controls are broken down to such narrow and realistic methods.

Honestly, if you aren't impressed by updated graphics, you don't want more in depth boat controls than pressing "p", and you don't care to walk around the boat... What would a Silent Hunter 6 possibly offer you that isn't already out there?
abaileyatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 01:32 PM   #2
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaileyatd View Post
Guy, the game you describe has been made a million times... A game like Wolfpack has never existed before. Every single thing you describe is available right now in existing games. If you want a single player campaign with upgradable boats and time compression... why not Sh3, SH4, or Sh5 or whatever other subsim game? And if you're not willing to throw mods on these then you aren't willing to get what you want.

It is patently ridiculous to compare Wolfpack to Fortnite or MMO games. Wolfpack is an insanely detailed hardcore simulation of a type VII uboat that is a passion project developed by a tiny independent developer. It just happens to not have the scope and specific features YOU want. It isn't multiplayer to share achievements on facebook, nor do you have to pay microtransactions for custom Kreigsmarine hats or upgraded torpedoes... It is only multiplayer because one person cannot effectively control an entire boat by themselves when the controls are broken down to such narrow and realistic methods.

Honestly, if you aren't impressed by updated graphics, you don't want more in depth boat controls than pressing "p", and you don't care to walk around the boat... What would a Silent Hunter 6 possibly offer you that isn't already out there?

Yes it has. It's called Star Trek VR Crew or whatever. This is the samething, with a WW2 coat of paint. And without the VR (which I'm hoping is just a fad). I'm not saying these guys stole the idea. But this game definitely exist.

Silent Hunter 3 is old and isn't played much anymore. SH4 is a buggy joke of a mess. Silent Hunter 5 was a rip off I was smart enough not to get had by.

The modding community here has suddenly become very "get off my lawn" and doesn't seem to want to help the actual community. In their defense I remember when their work was getting stolen and placed into paid DLCs.

I've got plenty of mods, and made a good number of my own for myself. You can't fix the foundation of a house by slapping a fresh coat of paint on it.

What could Silent Hunter 6 do that 3-5 haven't? Actually work. Not be left with tons of bugs we have no way of fixing for lack of Developer Tools, and Copyright Laws. It could be a game where you can play a fleet boat or a uboat. With DLCs to add the RN, and IJN subs, and others people would love to see.

And that's just off the top of my head mate.

And again this boils down to: You have the game you want, but you don't want me to have the game I want.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-24-19 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 05:13 PM   #3
abaileyatd
Sailor man

No it boils down to you are throwing a temper tantrum. Your explanations and arguments are ridiculous. So be it!
Old 04-25-19, 05:35 AM   #4
U56
Helmsman

Downloads: 129

You have the game you want, but you don't want me to have the game I want.

Stop throwing your toys out of the cot, and do a bit of growing up. Most of us would LUV you to have the game you want, but having temper tantrums because small indie developers don't give you exactly the game you want is not going to get you anywhere.

Unless a major games manufacturer gets interested in the sub sim genre, it is unlikely we will see another game like SH6. That does not make me happy, but them's the facts!!
U56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 01:01 PM   #5
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

I actually kind of agree with SlyGuy3129.

I’ve been around here as long as anyone. Longer mostly......... and he’s just giving his opinion. He’s a bit frustrated and I understand. I’ve suffered through all the multiple hyped up releases that we went through and it’s just kind of taught me to lower my expectations.

I will be fair. I tried Wolfpack at the beginning and it seems promising if multiplayer is your thing. But I honestly believe the hard-core sub summers will eventually grow very tired of the multiplayer aspect. It’s the hot, new thing right now but eventually it’ll die out, in my prediction, quicker than most sub games.

What I think he wants, and I know that I want, is a game as detailed as wolfpack with the systems of a submarine, modeled in detail, that we can we play completely single player. Something where the artificial intelligence will work the systems with a competence level equal to their experience and if we needed to take over manually we could do so. I wanted that far longer than I can remember.

I’m not going to bash the Wolfpack developers and I wish them the best. I just wish we could get this kind of detail in a single player game. I really dislike multiplayer
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 03:47 PM   #6
abaileyatd
Sailor man

Noone is saying you cannot personally be disappointed with Wolfpack, but it is ridiculous to be disappointed because it is not a game that it is not supposed to be. Wolfpack is NOT silent hunter 6. It's not SUPPOSED to be Silent Hunter 6. Asking why it doesn't have single player or a dynamic campaign is like asking why Silent Hunter doesn't have a Grand Strategy mode.

Lanz, I understand what you are saying about a more detailed Wolfpack style control in single player with AI to take over (which I believe is or was a goal of Wolfpack!), but I am personally skeptical it would work as well as you think. I mean, I guess my point is, when transiting for 34 hours on the surface, detailed ballast controls aren't going to factor much. It's only during combat engagements that this level of detail would become practical, and Wolfpack basically just cuts out the continuity of a campaign and puts you only far enough out of engagement that it is interesting.

Lanz, if you re-read all of dudes posts, he has only ever asked for things that are already available with the various mega mods for all the silent hunters, and he repeatedly devalued and put down the new aspects of Wolfpack ("oh you just walk around? I'm happy to just press P!") And then compared it to MMO's and Fortnite (yes seriously), lamented "casual" games like Wolfpack being made and then just complained that it was made at all instead of whatever he has in his head (which I think is just complaints).

It is OK to criticize Wolfpack. It is NOT my favorite game. I didn't follow it's development closely (or at all). I didn't even realize I "wanted" it until it was days from being released. And I'm not really sure I necessarily like it "better" than say, SH5 with TWOS... it may not replace that, but it is different, and provides an alternative experience that is unique and satisfying in a way no game has before provided. The fact that this guy basically believes everyone in the world felt the same way and wanted this game so bad that we specifically and maliciously created it to spite him, at the same time pulling resources away from development of Silent Hunter 6... is... delusional and ridiculous.

We get it, dude wants SH6. But let's see how this sounds: I'll go to the Call of Duty forums and be like "Is this game Silent Hunter 6?" And when they say, no, I'll throw a tantrum and say "I hope you all are happy, YOU GOT THE GAME YOU WANTED! We've had a million First person shooters, if I wanted that I'd play DOOM! And meanwhile these developers flipped me the bird and did not develop Silent Hunter 6!"

...?
Old 04-25-19, 03:48 PM   #7
ht-57
Sailor man

Downloads: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
I just wish we could get this kind of detail in a single player game. I really dislike multiplayer

I also agree with this statement, Not that I may not give it a go. I would like to point out that AI is The next item on the devs to do list. I would also like to say that both run8 and steel beasts prope started as "niche" "multi player" primarily as well. Both have become awesome simulators in their genere for sp.
why I draw that parallel is just like WP, they are both small dev teams that have a certain vision for their product. but do listen to their respective communities. Will they please everyone all the time?, of coarse not.
@this point there is gr8 potential for WP as you have and devs that are listening to the community for input.
ht-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-19, 04:56 AM   #8
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544
Default Not my cup of tea either, with just one

I agree with Sly's general points of view about the game. Wolfpack is not my cup of tea either. I'm not into multiplayer subsimming and I like to play my games when I want, not when others want to join. I, too, would have preferred an updated version of SH3, with a diversified full-war campaign, working AI subs, wolfpacks, bug-free and everything else we old subsimmers asked for.

I also agree that the subsim community has changed alot since the Silent Hunter era, when multiplayer was a big NO-NO here. Just remember the outcry when Ubisoft pushed its ill-fated multiplayer installment of SH.

BUT

I respect Wolfpack's designers' choice (even though it is not for me). It's their game, they gathered the money for it, so it's up to them to develop whatever game they want. If they don't give me the game I want, so be it. There's always other things to play, such as the upcoming UBOAT, due for release tomorrow, which I hope will become the game I want, in time.

If there's people enjoying Wolfpack, I wish them to have great fun, will never blame them or the devs for their choice and hope they can expand their community. I'm aware that multiplayer subsimming is a niche within a niche, with preciously few people enjoying it, and developing a game along this line is a big gamble they took. There hardly are people willing to pay for a sub game at all, but finding those interested by a multiplayer co-op subsim seems to me like nearly impossible, especially in the long run.

Bottom line, Sly, let them enjoy the game they like and - whenever you feel like bashing Wolfpack - repeat yourself that its devs are not bound to give you or me or anyone else what we want. It's their toy, they funded it with their money, let them have it as they like.

Good luck Wolfpack
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote