SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-08, 08:42 PM   #196
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Here's the alternative sliderule that schnorchel wanted. It's at my filefront. Look for U-jagd_alternatve_sliderod.7z.

It's a DIY installation. You must make three edits to the menu file yourself.

Gute Jagd

joe

It's been pointed out to me that the indicator on the centre wheel of this is still based on the American SACF. For those who prefer one that is more similar to Hitman's original format you need to download either the specific tga and dump it in the U-jagd folder yourself

That is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0dmod09zjjp

Or else go to my filefront and replace the whole sub-mod with the one named

U-jagd_alt_sliderule2.7z
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 08:05 PM   #197
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Finally the circular slide rule, modelled on the Speed Omnimeter of the USN SACF, but converted for metric distances

Would it be possible for you to make this more amenable to printing out?

I use a physical version Hitman's wheel, but I sometimes find it more convenient to use the US version (I pause the game, convert the ranges from meters to yards, then use the wheel). This generally happens with either very small AOB values, or when I only have time to make two quick observations because of bad weather or such.

Also, using this version would also make the AOB more than 90 degrees issue easier, in that I don't have to do the math in my head, it's right there.

I like having the physical wheel in my hands though. Using a virtual one is like kissing your sister: You go through the motions, but it just isn't the same.

I am sure I am not the only one who would like a version that can be printed out. Really, all you would need to do is place a small cross in the exact center of the three wheels.

Pretty please!

PS: Your wheel is slightly off. The conversion for meters per second to knots is .51444, you have it set at about .52. Probably not enough to make you miss close up, but certain it might at longer ranges when you consider rounding issues. When I use my linear rule, I use .515 which is close enough.
Old 01-27-08, 08:36 PM   #198
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Hi Puster Bill

I'm sure you could do it yourself. It would only take ten minutes of your time with a decent image editor such as photoshop or the freeware program, Gimp.

Thanks for the heads up about the accuracy. I don't think an error of 0.05 is really going to be a limiting factor at even long range situations, but I'll take a look at it if i release another update.

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
Old 01-27-08, 08:39 PM   #199
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Quote:
I'll take a look at it if i release another update
The life of a modder, you got to love it.............
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 08:43 PM   #200
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatore
Quote:
I'll take a look at it if i release another update
The life of a modder, you got to love it.............
:rotfl:
Old 01-27-08, 09:24 PM   #201
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

It didn't take long to put in crosses so here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mc1mwaohck

note that these images are "weathered". This is important so that it doesn't look out of place on screen, but it may not work so well on a card tool

joe
Old 01-28-08, 09:46 AM   #202
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
It didn't take long to put in crosses so here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mc1mwaohck

note that these images are "weathered". This is important so that it doesn't look out of place on screen, but it may not work so well on a card tool

joe
I'm sure it will work fine. Using a 'weathered' tool will make it just a tad more authentic feeling.

Thank you kindly. It would have taken me at least an hour to figure out how to do it in Gimp (not including the time spent to download it).

I've downloaded it to my home machine, and when I get a chance in the next few days I'll go ahead and build it. I'll put a picture up so you can see what it looks like.

As for the speed correction, don't worry about it too much. The only time I can see it making a difference is for long shots at high value targets like carriers and battleships. You know, those that are worth a salvo even if the odds of hitting are slim.
Old 01-28-08, 11:08 AM   #203
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WOW! I'm just getting back into gaming after many months without my computer. I see that OLC's GUI has more functions, but I like the way this one looks! Also I like the fact that it works with the 6-Dials Simfeeling mod. I might even give Poor Sailor's Favorite a try along with it. Maybe now I can actually hit something from further out than 500 meters!:rotfl:

One quick question: are there any differences between the regular and GWX versions besides the periscope magnification? Because I will be using GWX2 but I prefer the 6x myself.

Awesome work, guys!
Old 01-28-08, 07:35 PM   #204
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Hi Sailor Steve

OLC GUI utilises most of the U-jagd tools, but not the slide rule and not the Vorhalt arm of the attack disk, but is as you noticed a complete interface overhaul. This mod here, apart from the tools, does not change the interface or functions of the game.

To make it work with Simfeeling tools, you will have to merge the mods yourself, as both mods utilise the dials and menu files.

As you have additionally converted the scope magnifications back to stock values, then you will need the Stock 1.3.1 DIY modification, and assemble the mod with simfeeling yourself.

However, if you wish to forego the simfeeling mod, you will still need to use the DIY kit because otherwise the GWX menu file will be overwritten with the modified stock menu file. There are several differences between the stock menu file and the GWX2.0 menu file.

Good luck and gute jagd

joe
Old 01-28-08, 08:47 PM   #205
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill

Thank you kindly. It would have taken me at least an hour to figure out how to do it in Gimp (not including the time spent to download it).
You are very welcome . Btw, you should download Gimp anyway. It's well worth having
Old 01-29-08, 04:37 AM   #206
pino69
Watch

Downloads: 102

Hi, Joegrundman,

Anyway you could release a version compatible with Internal Orders mod ?
I really appreciate your work but I can't get rid of my internal orders cause what I prefer in that game is the immersion feeling.

Maybe does it exist a trick to permit the use of the 2 mods together without any special work...

Tanx 4 the reply
pino69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:31 AM   #207
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill

You are very welcome . Btw, you should download Gimp anyway. It's well worth having
You are right, I should. I just don't get the time to mess around with stuff like that.

Anyway, I built it last night. It came out quite nice, although I didn't have any inkjet transparencies left, so I made the Zeit wheel out of cardstock like the others.

Each individual wheel is 3 thicknesses of cardstock, held together with Elmer's gluestick. I laminate the front and back of each wheel with self-stick lamination.

As soon as I get the chance, I'll post a picture of it.
Old 01-29-08, 12:36 PM   #208
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

The Elmer's glue stick won't make the cardstock go all wavy? Gonna try that next time, if I can only steal one from the children!

Oh, I invested in a circle cutter, after you print the "watchamacallits", and stick the pin through the centers, this little gizmo has a metal spike that you push down, and a blade on an arm that extends. You set the blade at the edge of the circumferance, spin and your done!

See here: http://www.nextag.com/Fiskars-Circle...82/prices-html

See here: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/making...hannelid=NEXTA

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 11:42 PM   #209
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pino69
Hi, Joegrundman,

Anyway you could release a version compatible with Internal Orders mod ?
I really appreciate your work but I can't get rid of my internal orders cause what I prefer in that game is the immersion feeling.

Maybe does it exist a trick to permit the use of the 2 mods together without any special work...

Tanx 4 the reply
I take it you are using GWX. with integrated orders.

You can use IO and U-jagd together no problem, but you have to merge them yourself. You need to download

U-jagd 1.3.1_GWX_DIY

This contains instructions for merging the two mods. (If I were you, I would copy the IO mod first, rename the copy to Integrated Orders + U-jagd and use this copy for the mod merge rather than the original)

Joe
Old 01-31-08, 01:01 PM   #210
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I have another question. Over on the SH4 boards WernerSobe has created a periscope that fills up the entire screen, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129941 and OLC's GUI has one for at least one of its options. I prefer to use U-jagd because it allows for the 6-Dials Simfeeling mod, and I like the way it looks. I know the rings around the lens are important, but is there some way to enlarge it so it fills the screen? It would make viewing a lot cooler, as well as easier.