ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Old 05-13-21, 01:21 AM   #7907
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

KPOP....always nice to look at. Not too deep but very pretty.

And some classic Disco....good to listen to on long drives.

Old 05-13-21, 08:28 AM   #7908
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-13-21, 11:06 AM   #7909
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The influence of Prince...

Stevie Nicks wrote the above song, but she contacted prince who, in short order arranged, performed all the keyboards, sequencing, and other instrumentation, and produced her song:

Quote:

Technically, the raspy 1983 Wild Heart dance track "Stand Back," was written by Nicks herself – but Nicks has said it "belongs" to Prince. She likes to tell its origin story: It was the day of her wedding, she and her new husband Kim Anderson were driving North to Santa Barbara for their honeymoon when she heard "Little Red Corvette" for the first time. She wrote "Stand Back" start to finish that day, humming along to the Prince single. When she later went to record the song, she called to tell him the story. Twenty minutes later the Purple One showed up at her studio. He "walked over to the synthesizers that were set up, was absolutely brilliant for about 25 minutes and then left," she later told Timothy White. "He spoiled me for every band I've ever had because nobody can exactly recreate – not even with two piano players – what Prince did all by his little self."

In might be interesting to know, on Prince's first few albums, he not only wrote all the songs, he played all the instruments, performed all the vocals, and produced the albums himself; there used to be a very famous recording studio here in Hollywood, Gold Star Studios, known for being the site of a great, great many hits over the decades, including the Phil Spector "wall Of Sound" recording sessions for various artists (the Gold Star echo chamber, arguably the best in the industry, contributed greatly to Spector's sound); Prince, whenever he was in LA, would often book the studios for entire overnight blocks of time; Gold Star was a family owned and run business and the owner's wife would serve, at Prince's request, as the sole engineer in the studio when he was recording; she has said in interviews Prince would show up, alone, go into the studio where the instruments were set up and start to play on an instrument, while she turned on the tape machines, stop, listen to a playback, go to another instrument, record an overdub, and so on, building up a song or song idea as he went; she said the only thing she had to do was make sure there was enough tape available and run the machinery; once Prince was done with his session, he would take the tapes and be gone...

<O>
Old 05-13-21, 12:11 PM   #7910
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-14-21, 04:15 AM   #7911
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Beautiful song from "Miss Saigon".

Old 05-14-21, 12:18 PM   #7912
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-14-21, 07:46 PM   #7913
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Old 05-15-21, 12:39 AM   #7914
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Old 05-15-21, 05:33 AM   #7915
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-15-21, 08:00 AM   #7916
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The influence of Prince...

In might be interesting to know, on Prince's first few albums, he not only wrote all the songs, he played all the instruments, performed all the vocals, and produced the albums himself; there used to be a very famous recording studio here in Hollywood, Gold Star Studios, known for being the site of a great, great many hits over the decades, including the Phil Spector "wall Of Sound" recording sessions for various artists (the Gold Star echo chamber, arguably the best in the industry, contributed greatly to Spector's sound); Prince, whenever he was in LA, would often book the studios for entire overnight blocks of time; Gold Star was a family owned and run business and the owner's wife would serve, at Prince's request, as the sole engineer in the studio when he was recording; she has said in interviews Prince would show up, alone, go into the studio where the instruments were set up and start to play on an instrument, while she turned on the tape machines, stop, listen to a playback, go to another instrument, record an overdub, and so on, building up a song or song idea as he went; she said the only thing she had to do was make sure there was enough tape available and run the machinery; once Prince was done with his session, he would take the tapes and be gone...

<O>

Years ago, ZZ top was in town and performing a show one night. Billy Gibbons, Guitarist and vocalist for the band was unwinding after the show at a little " out of the way " bar. The waiter tapped Billy on his shoulder and said a gentleman would like you to join him at his table. The gentleman was none other than Prince. Billy accepted and they talked for hours about music and such.

Billy was supposed to leave and instead stayed a day or two as they just jammed together at Prince's studio. Billy had asked Prince how he did a certain guitar Riff and Prince replied he didn't know how he did it as he said he was in the moment and just played. Billy would later say that Prince was just that.

Prince helped produce a number of records from such diverse artists such as Country music singer Lee All Rimes to Sheila E and also helped create the musical group, the Bangles with Suzanna Hoffs.

Prince joining an all star cast and doing a great guitar solo starting at 3:28 and on an old Telecastor on top of it. This is a great rendition of " While my guitar gently weeps. " by George Harrison. Also in the group is Dani Harrison, son of the late George Harrison.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 05-15-21 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-15-21, 12:35 PM   #7917
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-15-21, 04:11 PM   #7918
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
[...] Beautiful song from "Miss Saigon".
Wow. You really should read Liu's The Paper menagerie (the short stories collection).. or maybe you already know it all. But for me it was a kind of revelation about China and its past.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 05-15-21, 06:19 PM   #7919
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Tks Kai, I don't really like short stories but on your recommendation I will. I prefer epics etc.

Over the years I've had 2 chinese girlfriends, and learned a lot from them. Great company, great lovers. It's a shame their whole global race is tainted by perceived association with the communist government in China.

Thanks for being a good friend.

Old 05-16-21, 06:48 AM   #7920
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
music