SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which noise profile of Kilo Improved would you prefer in 2.01 ?
Version 1 - quieter at speed 2 33.33%
Version 2 - little quieter at stop but noisy at speed 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-05, 12:00 AM   #1
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Lw & Ami mod v 2.01, noise profiles finetunning

I'm fine tunning noise profiles for next relase of the mod. I have few options for Kilo Improved. I can make it little quieter at stop, but it will have to grow in noise with speed much faster then. Or i it can be as quiet as before at stop, with more favourable noise-speed curve at speed. As you see, difference on the low speeds is only 1pt quieter at stop, but this result in MUCH higher noise on higer speeds. Which one noise profile would you like to see in the game ?

Version 1 NL=55 but quieter at speed:

Version 2 NL=54 at stop, but much more noise at high speeds:

As you see, not much options, more sloped curves are out of question, if it is not to make noise like a supertanker from 10kts up...
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 10:04 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I like the idea of the Kilo-Imp curve being slightly flatter. But in each of these examples, the Kilos start at SSN sound levels or hit it after 1 knot.

I think you're trying to make sure the Kilos are louder than SSNs at speed, which is determining where they start. If you flatten the SSN curves out a bit, you can set it up so that both SSKs start below the SSN's but catch up and exceed them at speed. I've got an alternative chart I made up that uses semi-parabolic curves for the SSNs so the SSKs can overtake them. There are basicly three slopes, a shallow curve from about 1-8 knots, an intermediate curve 8-20 knots, and then 20 up gets no mercy. I refered to a common comparison chart to guestimate the relative noise levels of the SSNs to each other:

In general, I gave the US subs flatter curves than the Russians, the Seawolf's curve is particularly flat compared to the others (it worked out pretty well too...the 20kt speed is within 1NL of the 688 flight 1 at rest ) The SSKs are steep, with the Kilo-I slightly flatter than the regular Kilo. They both start out below the SSNs; the regular Kilo catches up at 4 knots and the Kilo-I at 7.

I'd like to know what people around here think about my chart, but I have no idea how to post it...
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 12:40 PM   #3
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
I think you're trying to make sure the Kilos are louder than SSNs at speed, which is determining where they start. If you flatten the SSN curves out a bit, you can set it up so that both SSKs start below the SSN's but catch up and exceed them at speed. I've got an alternative chart I made up that uses semi-parabolic curves for the SSNs so the SSKs can overtake them. There are basicly three slopes, a shallow curve from about 1-8 knots, an intermediate curve 8-20 knots, and then 20 up gets no mercy. I refered to a common comparison chart to guestimate the relative noise levels of the SSNs to each other
I didn't think the current engines supports non-linear speed versus sound curves. Seems like linear slopes are the only thing possible iirc.
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 03:29 PM   #4
Neutrino 123
A-ganger

An easy way to attach images is to upload them directly from our computer at www.imageshack.us and then just thumbnail them on the forum.

Considering my recent sound tests (in so-so acoustic condistions, a TB-23 detects noise level 55 at about 3nm and noise level 53 at about 2nm), I made a table of my suggested noise vs. speed for the Kilo-i and the regular Kilo. They are both quieter at low speeds, so I suppose the other diseals would need to be adjusted a bit too, especially the Collins. Here is the table:

P.S. Amizaur, your graphs don't show up here, I only get a big 'x'.
Old 09-18-05, 03:41 PM   #5
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

The graphs were up but it seems the linking site is temporarily down. If they aren't back up soon, I'll email Amizaur about it.
Old 09-18-05, 04:16 PM   #6
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

4th generation SSN is sevdvinsk currently under construction well more nearing compleation she should be launched mid next year but she was lasi down in 1998 dispite reports she was laid down in the early 90's some even claim she is at sea but this is not true

sevdvinsk and bison are the two named units both nearing compleation and another two will with be stated or pending starting next year

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote