SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-05, 08:15 PM   #16
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

OK a few things

In terms of units.

Make sure when you open max to go to Units Setup in the Customize Menu make sure you select Generic Units.

Then model in 1:1 no scaling, 1 unit = 1 metre

So a 50 metre long boat would be 50 units long.

If you use anything else you will have a nice model ok but you will find in DW it will be huge compared to everything else.

As for animation names. Apart from props and weapons systems nothing much else animates on AI boats.

The props you can name what you want, same with weapons. Then in the 3d object part of DWEdit you can set up the animation properties.

For single Prop ships I use PROP

for multiprop I use PROP_L PROP_R etc

A Gun I might call Gun5inch for example.

So Beer what version of MAX do you have? Ramius is away for a couple of weeks and I have a few things I'd like converted to J3D if you could.

I am busy moving house but I'll write some more stuff about how to get stuff setup in MAX and DW. Also I'll lose broadband for a bit as I get it moved over so I would be able to upload too much stuff.

Hope this little bit helps.

Oh and one more thing, if new models are going to be made for DW as it stands it is best to get a collection of models together and put them in the dbase and release them in a block instead of dribs and drabs.

I have some new stuff that wasn't in SCX or didn't make it, I could release that. There is some stuff that was in SCX too. I released some of that too as I figured some people would like some nice looking stuff. There were reasons for it being pulled but since DWX is going to be some time coming I think it might be OK for me to use my SCX models.

Just got to ask the guys who painted them if they don't mind me releasing any of them under a different pack.

Now the only thing I will say is that if any of my SCX models are put into a pack then possible only with a Vanilla dbase no modded ones...
Old 08-30-05, 08:45 PM   #17
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Beer

Tell you what. If you want to make some models cool, I can setup new stuff in the dbase.

I am not making a dbase mod but only a model update for DW with some new civillian models as they don't need any sensors etc...

I am still waiting for Thomas to sort DWX but in the meantime I can't see why we can't have a few new models.

Although I will be in dialup I will be able to fiddle with the database and see how stuff works out.

I really hope my 688 gets painted soon by 2019 and I hope (fingers crossed) the doors work.
Old 08-30-05, 10:11 PM   #18
Beer
Watch

Downloads: 0

I have Max 3.1 and Max 5.1

I have and use Max 5.1. I would hate to regress back to 3.1. After I complete getting my Masters Unlimited Tonnage any Oceans ticket I hope to get back to modeling, but for now I a working on professional development vice hobbies. Buoys are easy to make, and if I find some three views of a tractor tug I may make a tug for Bill, since he has done alot for the game through his site so far.
Orion Warrior Mod
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 02:24 PM   #19
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Well Beer I can make some stuff if you are busy as long as I can get hold of decent drawings. Thing is since in some ways you are pretty limited with what you can do with models in SC going back to version 3.1 isn't a bad thing, you have to load the model up in that anyway from the made in version 5.1 anyway and in .3DS format as that, as you have to import.

Oh and I am back on dial up for 21 days as my ISP swithecs over my BB so I hope any pics won't be too big.
Old 09-04-05, 02:29 PM   #20
Engineer

Downloads: 2

OT.
Xabbarus, i shall tommorow send you a pm with the update on 688 and the osa.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote