SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-20, 11:51 AM   #3751
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I heard something very interesting, which have made me go from neutral to Trump & Co is 99 % wrong, on their accusation China have developed this virus.

I had an appointment with my foot doctor(not the correct name I know) while waiting I stood about 1½-2 meter from a elderly woman.

We stood and had a chat about everything. We even talked about this Corona.
I said I have noticed Trump & Co have accused China for having created this Virus and China is upset by this.

Then this woman said
...-And China is correct... You can not alter a virus...(then she talked on how a virus is created and many other things).

I said
some of these things I know, from reading science stuff on this Virus.
And you seems to know a lot more than I do I said to her.

Well after I got my Doctor diploma(I think you call it)
I worked as a scientist at the Danish Serum Institute for three years.
So I have a high knowledge on virus.

It was some minutes later I understood she was a doctor and this made me chance my mind from neutral.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:21 PM   #3752
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The number of deaths in WWII dwarfens when comparing them to the number of deaths in the two thousand yeas before. Its all the Romans' fault.
True and one more item if virus's aren't man made how in the hell did man last this long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
As an old guy who is almost 70 this statistic gets your attention. Big time.

The Most Important Coronavirus Statistic: 43% Of U.S. Deaths Are From 0.6% Of The Population

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...19-deaths/amp/
A thought that would not occur without these statics is that most of them (over 50%) were going to die anyway in fact New York got caught saying anyone that died in a nursing home died of Covid-19.

Why I do not know ... perhaps to get more federal budget money?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 01:55 PM   #3753
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
The PM's top aide Dominic Cummings might have broken lockdown rules, but it would have been a "minor breach", say Durham Police.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52835982
What a disgraceful cover up

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 06:02 AM   #3754
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

People must be prepared for new outbreaks of coronavirus to build up very quickly, the World Health Organization tells the BBC.

The WHO's Covid-19 special envoy, Dr David Nabarro, warns "this virus has not gone away" despite lockdowns being eased.

More than 200 schools across South Korea return to online teaching days after reopening, amid a fresh outbreak of the virus.

On Thursday South Korea reported 79 new cases within 24 hours - its highest number in two months.

Japan has seen a new cluster of infections emerge in the south-west, just days after the PM lifted the state of emergency.

Brazil reported a daily record of 26,417 new coronavirus cases on Thursday
Moscow more than doubled the official death toll from Covid-19 for the month of April.

There are more than 5.8m cases globally and the death toll stands at 359,791, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Old 05-29-20, 06:14 AM   #3755
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The pilot of a private plane has landed at a military airfield in north Wales without permission, because he wanted “to go to the beach”.

People in Scotland are now able to meet friends and family again as the country begins to ease its lockdown.

People residing in care homes have accounted for more than half of Covid-19 related deaths in Northern Ireland, official figures show.

Russia has reported its highest single-day rise in coronavirus deaths, with 232 fatalities. The surge appears to reflect an increase in people catching the virus in several regions earlier this month.

Hotels are reopening in Austria today, in a further easing of the country's lockdown restrictions.

Russia has reported 232 more deaths, its highest number in a 24-hour period, bringing the total to 4,374. New infections, at 8,572, are well down from their peak. That death toll may be under-reported too, as our story on Moscow's decision to revise its number explains.

Swimming in outdoor pools and holding weddings with up to 100 people are now allowed in Austria. After a relatively minor outbreak with 645 deaths in total, restrictions are being lifted fast.

Another meat processing plant in the Netherlands has reported an outbreak - 21 out of 130 staff have tested positive at Van Rooi Meat in the southern city of Helmond.

Spain has decided to move 70% of the country to Phase Two of lifting the lockdown on Monday - cinemas, theatres, concert halls and shopping centres will reopen, in a limited way.

Croatia's reopened its borders to 10 EU countries including Austria, but as Croatia is not on Austria's "white list", returning tourists will need a negative Covid-19 test to come back.

Tourists looking to visit the Indonesian resort island of Bali will need to prove they are free of coronavirus before they start their holiday.

Old 05-29-20, 10:59 AM   #3756
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
People residing in care homes have accounted for more than half of Covid-19 related deaths in Northern Ireland, official figures show.
Just a little research (leaving Northern Ireland off) results in the same data even higher in some states. Is it wrong to think that they were going to die anyway and even some states have counted anyone that dies in a nursing home died of Covid-19.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...related+deaths

but then again in New York there is under reporting ... odd results in what can we believe?

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/nursin...vid-19-deaths/

Quote:
Nearly one quarter of New York state’s COVID-19 victims have died in nursing homes and psychiatric facilities — and yet, the death toll is likely much higher as some homes purposefully underreport their deaths, experts allege.

or achievement

Old 05-29-20, 01:12 PM   #3757
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-29-20, 01:18 PM   #3758
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak says the government is "in a position" to ease lockdown despite warnings the infection level remains high.

Confirming changes to the government's furlough scheme, Sunak says employers will be asked to cover National Insurance and employer pension contributions in August.

By September, businesses will pay 10% of wages for furloughed staff, and in October 20%, the UK chancellor says.

Up to eight people from two households can now meet outside in Scotland, as the country eases its lockdown.

People must be prepared for new outbreaks of coronavirus to build up very quickly, the World Health Organization tells the BBC.

Spain fast-tracks a plan to pay the country's poorest households a basic income of £410 a month in the wake of the pandemic.

Japan sees a new cluster of infections emerge in the south-west, just days after the PM lifted the state of emergency.

Moscow has more than doubled its official death toll from Covid-19 for the month of April.

There are more than 5.8 million cases globally and the death toll stands at more than 361,200, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Old 05-29-20, 03:19 PM   #3759
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
New Study Casts More Doubt on Effectiveness of Masks in Preventing COVID-19 Spread

While disappointing, the results are not particularly surprising.
Thursday, May 28, 2020

Millions of people are turning to masks in an effort to protect themselves from COVID-19, but new evidence suggests those efforts could be for naught.
Research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine last month found that both surgical and cloth masks proved ineffective in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
Conducted by clinical researchers at several universities in Seoul, South Korea, the study involved four patients receiving medical care for COVID-19. (Previous studies researching the efficacy of masks examined transmission of other viruses.)
Unfortunately, the results were not encouraging.
“Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients,” researchers concluded. (Note: N95 respirators, which CDC Guidelines advise for medical personnel only, were not part of the test. You can read more about the study at Medical News Today.)
While disappointing, the results are not particularly surprising.
As recently as March, the US Surgeon General was still urging Americans to not buy or wear masks, stating they could actually increase one’s risk of infection. On March 8, NIAID Director and infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci told 60 Minutes much the same.

https://fee.org/articles/new-study-c...5st-8hPP3ZqYSo
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 04:00 PM   #3760
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Trump says terminating U.S. relationship with World Health Organization over virus

Quote:
Appearing in the White House Rose Garden, Trump went ahead with repeated threats to eliminate American funding for the group, which amounts to several hundred million dollars a year.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2352YJ

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 04:20 PM   #3761
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Thank you for sharing this August I had not heard this one yet ...

I still don't have the 10 mask I ordered from China back in March ...

So I still haven't worn one to the post office or to the store
or achievement

Old 05-29-20, 05:02 PM   #3762
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

"Listen to the experts" is sorta turning into a hollow phrase.
Old 05-29-20, 05:15 PM   #3763
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Thank you for sharing this August I had not heard this one yet ...

I still don't have the 10 mask I ordered from China back in March ...

So I still haven't worn one to the post office or to the store
The threat is not just form droplets, but aerosols which have droplets a thousand times smaller than 1mm, but still can carry virusses. Cotton masks and surgical masks do little here, they only break the air stream and reduce the speed and thus the initial range by which the get fired out by mouth and nose. Since they inlcude aersols, they nevertheless will move around, staying in air for hours.

I wonder if there is any feedback, data on cotton masks with inbuild silver ion layer. Gag, or useful? I know that siulver ions are a valid way of desinfection,kl the technilogy is used in water purifiers and desaster areas, on expeditions, in outdoor activities. But in masks and as air filters?

You need FFP masks, both so that an infected person filters the air it exhales,and to protect yourself from the air you inahle. Be careful with FFP3, they are no pleasure to wear, especially on a hot day. The breath goes heavier, the moisture mounts quickly, the feel is to breath extremely wet, almost liquid fog, the face gets hot, you additionally sweat, your nose starts runnign quickly... FFP2 are much more comfortable while still offering reasonable filtering, I thuink the amsks doe 99.9 and 95%, I can acceot the 95% when consideirng the cfuirrent low probability to meet the vorus in a supoermarket over here. Do also consider not to use masks with exhale valves, since then you breath out your unfiltered breath, compriom nsing the prtection the mask may priovide for the others beign safe form you. I indeed focus on valve-free FFP2 masks now.

I am saying this since all this story began: wear masks. And I am still wondering what people - and state authorities!! - find so fricking difficult in understanding in the logic of masks and their need to be fine enough to filter the theat they are designed to filter.

Its as if somebody throws stones at me, and somebody else tells me: "Don'T move, let yourself getting hit! Its safer, else you do not know what will happen!" Its stupid. I mean: highly infectous virus - transmission via air - implies talking, breathing, coughing could be ways of infection - implies droplets from cough and aerosols from breath and talking - knockknock, anyyone at home ...? Just now see what long lasting cryptical mambo jambo talking they have made of it! It was the first things I were thinking about earlier this yar - and I am no doctor.

Masks and Vitamine D are the two things that are the most absurd discussions about Covid19. Which comes at the costs of many tens of thousands of lives, I am very certain by now, and hundreds of thousands of severe courses of the disease. More suffering than might have been anavoidable. Its all just evidence to me that the virus indeed also damages the brain...
Old 05-29-20, 05:22 PM   #3764
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I like the man ever better! My imoression to is that academical standard has severely suffered in the opast years, ten years, 15-20 years,m its hard tio say. That noisy ideology-.driven special rights groupos and the idnusatry have deepelny penetrated into the free scientific research now, have not helped to inprovce uzaqlity< of scinrtific publicaitonk, as far as I can say, and my reading in science magazines is very limited in scope, mainly astronomy, a bit of physics and technology occasionally, and then some random stuff.

It has been turned too much into what TV news have degenerated into as well: politically compatible entertainment. I still praise thw scientfic methodologxy above anythign els,e we have no better method to form new kinwoledge, it is second to none. But lobbies have accioeved that it got seriously corruted and abused. That doe snot speak against the mehtod itseolf, only speka sgainst those absuing it or not minding that they get abused while maintaining it.
Old 05-29-20, 07:02 PM   #3765
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I like the man ever better! My imoression to is that academical standard has severely suffered in the opast years, ten years, 15-20 years,m its hard tio say.

I think that same thing about weather reporting. The weather reporters are now just pretty and I don't feel like I have a clue what's coming each day. lol Maybe I just haven't figured out where to look anymore.

Quote:
I wonder if there is any feedback, data on cotton masks with inbuild silver ion layer. Gag, or useful? I know that siulver ions are a valid way of desinfection,kl the technilogy is used in water purifiers and desaster areas, on expeditions, in outdoor activities. But in masks and as air filters?

There is a company advertising masks on Fox, and if you go to their website it mentions the silver ions, but oddly I don't think they mention it in their ad. https://boomernaturals.com/collections/medical-supplies

Made in Vietnam "TV30" for 20% off order, free shipping over $50

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan