SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-20, 10:09 AM   #736
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 10:11 AM   #737
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The Chinese say they have identified TWO strains of Covid-19 which means in plain English the virus already has mutated once. The more agressive one is the younger, new strain (L-strain), currently responsible for 70% of infection cases. The older one they call the S-strain.

This makes developing a vaccine more complicated, since you need at least TWO vaccines now, one for every strain.

It gets worse if the virus mutates further.
Old 03-05-20, 10:14 AM   #738
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Old 03-05-20, 10:22 AM   #739
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The Chinese say they have identified TWO strains of Covid-19 which means in plain English the virus already has mutated once. The more agressive one is the younger, new strain (L-strain), currently responsible for 70% of infection cases. The older one they call the S-strain.

This makes developing a vaccine more complicated, since you need at least TWO vaccines now, one for every strain.

People in the Wuhan area of China that had the covid-19 and were cleared as not having the virus anymore are now reporting back in as having the same problems again.

I suspect this transfer of the covid-19 virus in people that don't have any visible symptoms may be causing more problems than we can understand.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 11:05 AM   #740
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

IF antigenic drift accumulates far enough to make a difference. As it is now I dont think we're at the stage of requiring two vaccines for these S and L strains of the same virus

Old 03-05-20, 11:19 AM   #741
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Los Angeles coronavirus patient is a medical screener at LAX airport.
GREAT! I just picked up one of our employees in Cleveland, Ohio.
He flew in from LAX!

Not saying We are infected but just goes to show how FAST things could spread!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 03-05-20 at 11:42 AM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 12:08 PM   #742
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I could have missed it, if some of you have mentioned how long it takes from a person gets infected and until this person start to infect others.

Reason why is what have happened here in Denmark today.

A former national team player had been in Amsterdam and efter this he went to see a football match between two top team in our highest division.

One of them was his former football club.(Broendby)
After the game he met former college and fans.

So now 13 or more football players are in quarantine and the Danish health department have sent a public annoncement out to the public.

If they have met this player(Thomas) shaken his hand, given him a hug or been about 2 meters or less from him.

This event - the football match, the meetings between this Player(Thomas) and his college and their fans toke place this Sunday(1 March)

Therefor how long does it take from a person gets infected and until they start to infect others ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 03:03 PM   #743
Skybird
Soaring

Incubation time could be 24, maybe even 27 days (knowledge point mid-February). That people are being quarantined for only 14 days, tendency falling, I have the feeling is just for practical reasosn, not medically founded reasons. Everything would break down probably if you send quarantined shifts home for almost 4 instead of 2 weeks. As I said yesterday, in some German hospitals contact persons in hospital staff teamsare not beign send into quarantine anymore at all, and worsE: in more and more hospitals and care institutions they must do like this.

Everybody who can should practice self-isolation now: avoid social and practical opportunities where oyu expose yourself to the risk coming form having to endure close proximity to other people. Avoid public transportation like trains, subways, busses.

Evade and avoid, reject and refuse.

Pharmacies more and more even run out of isopropyl alcohol and ethanol to create your own desinfectants (with water, glycerine).

Vodka and Malts will be out next. Thats the time when it really gets hard.
Old 03-05-20, 03:06 PM   #744
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Ok, the ride is headed down again. Will OLN drop to $14.85 ?

Whoo hoo! Done! Nice. Thank you, California
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 03:28 PM   #745
Skybird
Soaring

On Taiwan. I never liked this appeasing One-China-Policy thing.

http://translate.google.com/translat...F25613942.html
Old 03-05-20, 03:31 PM   #746
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quick talk about S type and L type and the possibility of being infected by both.

Old 03-05-20, 05:19 PM   #747
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Washington state confirms 20 more cases, 1 new death.
Quote:
Seattle and King County officials announced 20 new cases of the virus, bringing total confirmed cases in the county to 51. That brings the total in Washington state to 70, according to the state Department of Health. The new infections outside of Seattle drove the U.S. case count to 197.

Local health officials also confirmed a new fatality, bringing the total number of deaths in the U.S. to 12. “This is a critical moment in the growing outbreak of COVID-19 in King County,” Seattle and King County said in a statement.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/05/coro...-outbreak.html

New York confirms 11 more cases.
Quote:
There are 22 confirmed cases of coronavirus across New York state, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday afternoon.

Eleven cases were confirmed overnight, he said.

“Eight of the new cases are connected to the attorney from Westchester,” he said, adding, two of the cases are from New York City and one is from Long Island.

Italy confirms 41 more deaths from coronavirus.
Quote:
Italy’s Civil Protection Agency has announced that 41 additional people have died in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of fatalities to 148.

According to Borrelli, the number of those who have so far recovered from the virus has risen from 276 confirmed recoveries – as reported on Wednesday – to 414. Currently, 1790 patients remain in hospital, 351 individuals are in intensive care, and 1155 are in self-isolation.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

Currently in Italy, the number of those infected requiring hospitalization (2,141) vs home isolation (1,155) is almost double. I keep reading reports that on average, only 20% of infected people require hospitalization. This is way higher than that. Perhaps northern Italy has a large elderly population, or maybe this virus is more dangerous than first thought.

Even more disturbing is only 414 patients have recovered so far. I'm wondering if they are seeing increasing numbers of relapses or reinfections like in China.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-05-20 at 05:50 PM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:34 PM   #748
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Lovely.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/04/corona...usiness-event/

Quote:
Coronavirus patient ignored self-isolation order to go to business event

New Hampshire’s first coronavirus patient shrugged off his quarantine and went to an event in a different state — potentially exposing almost 200 people to the deadly illness, officials revealed. The dimwit Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center staffer showed symptoms of the virus after returning from a trip to Italy, and was told to stay home while awaiting test results — which came back positive Monday, state health officials said.
But three days earlier, he had ignored the instructions and gone to a party over the border in Vermont, officials said.
“Despite having been directed to self-isolate, [he] attended an invitation-only private event on Friday,” the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement.
About 175 people were at the bash, organized by Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business and held at The Engine Room in White River Junction, right across the river from the New Hampshire hospital.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:37 PM   #749
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

@ Skybird.

Thank you for your answer.

It was not exactly what I was asking.

So I will create an example

Person A get infected on day zero time zero(let pretend he shake hand with another person around noon-12 pm)

We know or I have been told this virus infect during its Incubation time.

What I would like to know is, when does Person A start to infect others ?

Is it after time zero+12 hours or time zero+24 hours or later ?

Because if it's after 24 hours or earlier then those young men who had been near this Danish Football player(Thomas)can have infected others, before they had been told they could be infected.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:42 PM   #750
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Italy confirms 41 more deaths from coronavirus. https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

The numbers of those infected requiring hospitalization (2,141) vs home isolation (1,155) is almost double. I keep reading reports that on average, only 20% of infected people require hospitalization. This is way higher than that. Perhaps northern Italy has a large elderly population, or maybe this virus is more dangerous than first thought. Even more disturbing is only 414 have recovered so far. I'm wondering if they are seeing increasing numbers of relapses like in China.

Far more dangerous? Not likely, doctors, nurses, geneticists, scientists, all 'medical professionals' have a pretty good understanding how coronavirus including COVID-19 works. I would even go so far as to say the mystery is pretty much over. We also have a truck load of statistical information on how and who it affects by age group. We should know by now it is the elderly who are going to get hit hardest by this virus outbreak as is the case with even the common flu. Italy's elderly makes up almost 25% of their population. Only country I know of that has more is Japan. I expect death rates to be much higher in those countries for that reason.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-05-20 at 07:23 PM.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan