SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-13, 07:16 AM   #1
Hylky
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5, Steam or boxed version?

Ive had played the steam version of SH5 with mod's for almost week, and really like it, but now i have change to get my hands for real cheap retail version of SH5, but which is better for modding and etc?

I've had read that the retail version is better than steam version? or does it matter which to choose for nowadays?
Should i just stay in the steam verion? is there any difference?

Thnx!
Hylky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 07:24 AM   #2
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

I have heard heaps of bad rumors (Probably the truth but I don't really pay much attention to the steam version due to the rumors) Like that the best of mods, like... I think TDW's Ui maybe? And most of us know this is arguably one of the best mods (Along with many more) that are must-haves.

But I have heard of heaps of complaint's about the steam version, as in many of the best mods not working with it.

And usually, the Box version is about 30% cheaper.
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 07:37 AM   #3
Hylky
Swabbie

so the box versio is more mod "friedly" than steam version?

i got the TDW's Ui on my steam version and its seems to work just fine... at least i think... so perhaps i just continue playing my steam version and save my 5€?
Old 03-27-13, 07:53 AM   #4
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylky View Post
so the box versio is more mod "friedly" than steam version?
As I said, I'm not sure, because I don't use the steam version, but I know for sure the box one works much better and is much more Mod Friendly.
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 08:01 AM   #5
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Box, definitely. Steam does not allow you to make changes to the .exe, which makes it impossible for you to to use mods and fixes such as this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:17 AM   #6
Hylky
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Box, definitely. Steam does not allow you to make changes to the .exe, which makes it impossible for you to to use mods and fixes such as this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433
Ok! Then im getting that boxed SH5! the 5€ is not much tho...
Old 03-27-13, 09:28 AM   #7
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

for SH5 you want the boxed (DVD version) for many reasons
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 12:55 PM   #8
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Basically, the question comes down to this: Buy or lease? Because you don't actually own a copy of the code when you go to Steam. You just lease it. Steam activates the code through an on-line download every time you run the game and disables it before you exit the game. It's their code, and they do not permit any changes to that code. Think of leasing a car. You don't own the car. You can drive it, can use it for normal transportation purposes. But you can't make substantive changes to it, or you void the lease agreement. There are pros and cons to the Steam approach, just as there are pros and cons to leasing a car. But if you want to make changes to the car, or the game, leasing is not the way to go.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 01:20 PM   #9
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Steam activates the code through an on-line download every time you run the game and disables it before you exit the game. It's their code, and they do not permit any changes to that code.
That's not true. Steam's offline mode allows you to play your games after being validated one time - no online connection required. Also, I have many many Steam games, and I run many many mods on them. (You should see my copy of Skyrim...I'm running a huge mod list on that).

The problems occur when you have a mod that relies on changes to the .exe, such is the case with SH5.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 01:59 PM   #10
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
The problems occur when you have a mod that relies on changes to the .exe, such is the case with SH5.
That's because most Steam games are obfuscated and have a depacker coded in to them to depack the game into memory (from memory) and run the game from that depacked code.
Old 03-27-13, 10:27 PM   #11
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

OK, I stand corrected. The DRM is resident on your machine, not the remote site. Thank you, TDW, for the explanation. But the fact remains that you don't have the executable code. It is locked up in a packed format on your disk and only unpacked at runtime. So, as I said, it's not really your code. I didn't mean to imply that you can't mod the data files - certainly you can. But you can't modify the executable, which is the game engine, because Steam won't let you. You didn't buy that. You just leased the use of it.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 10:50 PM   #12
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
for SH5 you want the boxed (DVD version) for many reasons
That's been my way of thinking all along. Others don't agree but I guess I'm a bit thick headed. I'll take a dvd version over a download anyday.

Yesterday I stopped in at Game Stop to check on the PC version of Snipe Ghost Warrior 2. Found that you can only get it by download from Steam. And in the same breathe, the guy behind the counter said that within the next 5 years you will no longer see boxed PC games. They will be downloads only. What a revoltin development that will be. There goes the neighborhood. And possibly the same goes for console games too.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 01:15 AM   #13
Brentano III
Nub

Downloads: 38

To my understanding, the only difference between the boxed and Steam version is the .exe. Currently, we only have an SH5.exe patch for the boxed version, but eventually someone on these forums will mod one for the Steam version, just like one was modded for SH3.
Brentano III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 02:05 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Default Steam V DVD Conflict?

Hi Guys
If you are running the steam version and you want to change to the DVD version is this going to cause a conflict?
Best wishes to all Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 07:04 PM   #15
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentano III View Post
To my understanding, the only difference between the boxed and Steam version is the .exe. Currently, we only have an SH5.exe patch for the boxed version, but eventually someone on these forums will mod one for the Steam version, just like one was modded for SH3.
Don't hold your breath. It's a total waste of time to do anything with the Steam version when the boxed version is around $5 brand new