SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-20, 07:06 PM   #1
Bumpy
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Wanting to Resurrect SH4

I had SH4 on a desktop PC years ago but switched to MacBooks (2011) when it finally died. I still have the SH4 CD and manuals in the large case and am interested in getting back to playing that game. What sort of current gen PC do I need to get to get the game up and running? Can I use a laptop rather than a desktop PC. What are the minimum specs I would need to use the game with most of the latest mods that are available. Should I even use the old CD version or just get a new one from Steam or elsewhere? I have been reading the stickies but there is so much info it's hard to sort through it all especially since I have not had a Windows PC in a decade.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 09:21 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
I had SH4 on a desktop PC years ago but switched to MacBooks (2011) when it finally died. I still have the SH4 CD and manuals in the large case and am interested in getting back to playing that game. What sort of current gen PC do I need to get to get the game up and running? Can I use a laptop rather than a desktop PC. What are the minimum specs I would need to use the game with most of the latest mods that are available. Should I even use the old CD version or just get a new one from Steam or elsewhere? I have been reading the stickies but there is so much info it's hard to sort through it all especially since I have not had a Windows PC in a decade.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
what version of SH4 is your CDROM?
most of the mods on Subsim are written for 1.5 Gold Uboat Missions(UBM).
if you have 1.4 or 1.5 non-gold, you can buy 1.5 UBM from Amazon for small dollars. if you decide to buy from amazon, use this link first. https://www.subsim.com/store.html

as far as hardware is concerned, you can use any Windows PC or laptop running XP or higher with at least 4G Ram.
check out this link for valuable starting info. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=219029
good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 10:29 PM   #3
Bumpy
Nub

Not sure I can tell what version my game CD has since I don't have a PC to run it. I would assume it's a 1.1 version since it was bought right when the game first came out. I vaguely remember making some mods that UBI released before I stopped playing. All those mods vanished when the PC was trashed. So if I really need V1.5 it seems I should just buy that. So should I get it from Steam or UBI or elsewhere?
Old 07-12-20, 10:31 PM   #4
Bumpy
Nub

Does SH 4 work with touch screen laptops or do you really need a desktop and a mouse or gamepad? Do you need a full size keyboard with number keys?
Old 07-13-20, 09:33 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
Does SH 4 work with touch screen laptops or do you really need a desktop and a mouse or gamepad? Do you need a full size keyboard with number keys?
if your touch screen is emulating a mouse, then you are good to go.
if the touch screen is not using the point-and-click drivers then you will not be able to use that particular function.

best solution is to try it.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote