Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-21, 09:40 PM   #736
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Not unexpected, still another nail in the coffin of the former Grand Old Party which has almost completed its tranformation into the Great Orange Party.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-soul-n1257879

Fear, and shamelessness. The landmark features of the GOP. With former Republicans beign a small majority in the GOP only, they should break away and found a third party. The damage is FUBAR - and it will continue to mount. It will not give them the win in coming elections, but it will prevent victory to the orange legion, taking too many votes away from it, likely. That at least is a cause to follow that shows integrity.

For those Republicans who still have an echo of a memory what "integrity" means. Many it will not be.
Trump is 2-0 against the "swamp" (career politicos). No matter how you sum it up, the "swamp" has egg all over it's face.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 09:52 PM   #737
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

As most know, former President Donald Trump has been acquitted in his 2nd Impeachment Trial. I'm not surprised considering the unconstitutionality of attempting to Impeach someone after they have already left office. Further, attempting to use redacted and altered evidence and video's should have brought criminal sanctions against those who brought that in.

That's not a Republican or Democratic issue but an American Issue and one we should all be concerned with. It seems more and more we are guilty until and unless we can prove we are innocent.

This might be a great time to revisit such issues such as term limits in both the State and Federal assemblies for Senators and Representatives.

Further, Voter Identification cards should be mandatory in every state of the Union to eliminate illegals from voting and lend some well needed validity to the voting process. We also need to have a discussion on mail in ballots.

While many are dying of Covid and trying to keep the lights and heat on let alone trying to find their next meal or pay for medication, these Idiots wasted time and money playing political games. Welcome to the U.S horse and pony show.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 09:58 PM   #738
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Trump is 2-0 against the "swamp" (career politicos). No matter how you sum it up, the "swamp" has egg all over it's face.
Trump is a loser and the GOP swamp has shown its colors now, egg yellow. I'm looking forward to the right finding a more center and relevant footing. Maybe even a candidate.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 04:40 AM   #739
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
That has always be my point. That Orange will and does take over Red. The Republicans have had two impeachment chances to prevent it. Plus their personnel has had uncounted chances to distances themselves from it. That now especially McConnell poses with morality and lectures about moral responsibility for the inciting speeches and the storming of the Capitol, is ridiculous - he was the first on so many occasions to jump to the defence and the excuse of the old regime, by the most of absurd and hilarious foul excuses. A rotten 100% opportunist.

In German we call such a person "Wendehals". They always hang their flag according to the wind.
Old 02-14-21, 06:22 AM   #740
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post

While many are dying of Covid and trying to keep the lights and heat on let alone trying to find their next meal or pay for medication, these Idiots wasted time and money playing political games. Welcome to the U.S horse and pony show.
Sounds just about right to me

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 06:32 AM   #741
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That has always be my point. That Orange will and does take over Red.
No. Not going to happen. Trump won't run again and the GOP will slowly distance themselves from him.

Quote:
The Republicans have had two impeachment chances to prevent it.
But why would they? Why would they let their political rivals decide who their leader and President should be? You dance with the one you brought to the party. Democrats will do this with Biden and Pelosi. They will defend them regardless of what they do. It's happening right now.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 07:45 AM   #742
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Trump is a loser and the GOP swamp has shown its colors now, egg yellow. I'm looking forward to the right finding a more center and relevant footing. Maybe even a candidate.
Considering that he's 2-0, I'd say that's tigerblood winning, not losing.

As to the right finding a more center footing, here's a good simplified discussion of why you would be wrong in assuming the GOP is so far right:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...t_137048.html#!

There's another thing I've seen in the past that better illustrates this, but I am having some difficulties finding it.

Basically, if you draw two bell curves representing the Dems and Reps, with their peaks on either side of "center," the study shows that the Dem peak has shifted further left without changing the amplitude of the peak but the GOP curve has shifted to the right less far than the Dem curve had shifted to the left, but it's more spread-out with a lower peak - which means that the GOP has a broader spectrum of views about a given political subject and the Dems have only gotten more partisan.

*Everything* is about special interest group victimhood identity politics for the left. They see everything exclusively in terms of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. even going so far as to invent imagined slights in which they can be offended and victimized where no such situation exists.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 08:56 AM   #743
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Basically, if you draw two bell curves representing the Dems and Reps, with their peaks on either side of "center," the study shows that the Dem peak has shifted further left without changing the amplitude of the peak but the GOP curve has shifted to the right less far than the Dem curve had shifted to the left, but it's more spread-out with a lower peak - which means that the GOP has a broader spectrum of views about a given political subject and the Dems have only gotten more partisan.
This ^^^.

Twenty five years ago I would have considered myself a left of centre Liberal who believed in free speech, the rule of law, free market economy, equality of opportunity over equality of outcome and would have been opposed to identity politics and political correctness. My position on those issues and many others has not changed but those positions on the left have all but disappeared.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-14-21, 09:36 AM   #744
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
This ^^^.

Twenty five years ago I would have considered myself a left of centre Liberal who believed in free speech, the rule of law, free market economy, equality of opportunity over equality of outcome and would have been opposed to identity politics and political correctness. My position on those issues and many others has not changed but those positions on the left have all but disappeared.
^^^

The worst part is the left refuses to even tolerate a different viewpoint, let alone debate the merits. They're a petulant child who operate on feelings and emotions only to their next breath. There's no critical thinking. No cost-benefit analysis. No probabilistic risk assessment. No thought of unintended consequences. As a result, *every* one of their feel-good ideas usually negatively affects the people they think they're helping.

One of my friends is a bit of a militant african-american. We argue - a lot. But we both give ground on a topic when we are wrong (or just bash each other over drinks - because the only thing that keeps people grounded is when their friends bust their balls). Who does he consider the most threatening group of people to what he wants to achieve personally and professionally? White liberals. Because they treat him like a child that needs help rather than an equal adult with responsibilities he needs to meet and rights he deserves. Even though he is a registered Dem, he's so far right on the Dem party spectrum, he might as well change to an Independent.

He said something that is so true yet so unachievable until the left is *actually* confronted and forced to answer for their failures, the GOP will continue to be the party of "well, we lost again. We'll get 'em next time." That's what they all hate about Trump - he recognizes that for what it is and refuses to engage in "next election" defeatism
Old 02-14-21, 01:17 PM   #745
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Yesterday I was thinking on posting a comment on how the Rep. Voters see this what their verdict would be-Well I forgot it.

Then I watched the Swedish news before bed and some professor in American study said following.

(Used translate)

"
Fear of Trump's loyal voters is one reason why so few Republican senators voted to overthrow Donald Trump. Dag Blanck, Professor of North American Studies, makes that assessment,.

-The loyalty of his true supporter is very strong,
you know what has happened to those who have gone against him before, Blanck tells TT.

According to several opinion polls, about half of Republican voters believe the party should continue to consider Trump his leader.
Their votes can play a big role when the party is to nominate candidates in the upcoming elections.
"
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 01:27 PM   #746
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
No. Not going to happen. Trump won't run again and the GOP will slowly distance themselves from him.

God, let's hope so.
Old 02-14-21, 01:43 PM   #747
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Very calm and reasonable explanation for voting to acquit. Appears he's also prepared to distance himself and leave Trump to the criminal justice system.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-14-21 at 02:00 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 01:43 PM   #748
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
God, let's hope so.
Well there are no guarantees. At least I'm not giving any.

The reason I say that is because of all the post election nonsense he has made himself pretty much unelectable. He would still have a core of committed suporters but that would not be enough for a return to the WH. He would also have to win the primary and by then many in the GOP would have moved on and will be looking for someone like him but not him. Ron DeSantis, the current Gov. of Florida would be one of those people.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-14-21, 02:35 PM   #749
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Well there are no guarantees. At least I'm not giving any.

The reason I say that is because of all the post election nonsense he has made himself pretty much unelectable. He would still have a core of committed suporters but that would not be enough for a return to the WH. He would also have to win the primary and by then many in the GOP would have moved on and will be looking for someone like him but not him. Ron DeSantis, the current Gov. of Florida would be one of those people.
Unelectable by whom? 74 million or so voted for the guy and I'm guessing they'd vote for him again in 2024.

That having been said, his value is really as a head of a movement that runs candidates with similar values to primary the left-leaning. They don't even need to be all that to the right. When you ask the average American to vote for someone who believes in American exceptional ism or to vote for a global elite, the choice is clear. On a level playing field, conservatives destroy leftist candidates pretty much everywhere outside of NY and LA.
Old 02-14-21, 02:50 PM   #750
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
No. Not going to happen. Trump won't run again and the GOP will slowly distance themselves from him. [...]
Wrong, both cases.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote