Old 10-02-22, 06:28 PM   #6961
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Well, it was a reasonable question.

You're right Markus. Out of respect for you and everyone else here, I will refrain from further comment. Besides, Dargo is giving great information as jimbuna does and others as well and I would rather stay on track with the information they are working hard to provide.
well said honest with you i look here for info on this war
Old 10-02-22, 06:44 PM   #6962
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Well, it was a reasonable question.

You're right Markus. Out of respect for you and everyone else here, I will refrain from further comment. Besides, Dargo is giving great information as jimbuna does and others as well and I would rather stay on track with the information they are working hard to provide.
Thank you.

Yes Dargo and Jim is providing us with great news from the war in Ukraine. I like the job they put down to give us these news. Must not forget Skybirds in-deep analysis.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 10-02-22, 06:59 PM   #6963
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Thank you.

Yes Dargo and Jim is providing us with great news from the war in Ukraine. I like the job they put down to give us these news. Must not forget Skybirds in-deep analysis.

Markus
You're very right. Sky has done an awesome job of keeping up with events. Others too. As Les said, He comes here to get the latest info. I do as well and I'm sure many others do too. What I like the most is that they all include the links to their respective sources. You have contributed as well, Markus.

Well done, everyone.
Old 10-03-22, 06:11 AM   #6964
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The last couple of pages of posts took place during my sleep time, perhaps fortunately but having said that can we ALL stay on topic please.

TIA

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-03-22, 06:15 AM   #6965
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Neal, Jim said he is allowed to have sleep time, you may want to reconsider that policy.

Old 10-03-22, 06:21 AM   #6966
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Neal, Jim said he is allowed to have sleep time, you may want to reconsider that policy.

Old 10-03-22, 06:34 AM   #6967
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-03-22, 07:18 AM   #6968
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Don't confuse military experience with political and strategic failures mon ami. It's that kind of failure which put the Germans into Paris, not the French soldier who fought with courage and commitment.

It's the same kind of thing that put the Communists into Saigon, the failure of the political leadership, and I include the top Generals in that group to prepare and manage for war or deal with the reality of it once it starts.

Thanks August for clarifying what I was going to say. It hardly matters though as those from the U.S pretty clearly understand what you stated above. I think others from various countries understand that as well, at least on a basic level.

In the cases you mentioned, there were no stated goals much less an entry and exit strategy. You pretty much alluded to that fact.
Old 10-03-22, 07:22 AM   #6969
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Questions over France's weapons supply to Kyiv

If France wants to lead Europe to a new era of military self-reliance, how come its contribution to the war effort in Ukraine is so small?

That is the awkward question being posed by some of the country's top strategic thinkers, who are pushing President Emmanuel Macron to make an urgent decision on more arms to Kyiv.

Recent analysis conducted on the ground in Poland and Ukraine shows that the French share of foreign arms deliveries is less than 2%, way behind the US on 49%, but also behind Poland (22%) and Germany (9%).

"I was concerned about the reliability of the statistics which showed France low on the list of contributing countries," says François Heisbourg, who is perhaps France's most influential defence analyst.

"So I went out to the main distribution hub in Poland to see how much in tonnage was actually being delivered, rather than just promised.

"Unfortunately the figures bore out my fears. France is way down the list - in ninth position."

The official reaction to this in Paris is: "Yes, but..."

Yes, the aid statistics are unflattering, but there are other factors at work.

First, defence officials say the true measure of military help is quality not quantity. Some countries are delivering masses of outdated equipment. France has given 18 Caesar self-propelled artillery units, which are now celebrated along the Ukrainian front-line.

France, they add, is like other Western countries in having run down military stocks as part of the post-Cold War peace dividend.

Ukraine's Caesars are fully one quarter of France's entire mobile artillery. It cannot offer much more without making itself vulnerable in regions where it is already committed, like the Sahel and the Indo-Pacific.

"It might look like we are behind other countries, but France has every intention of playing its part," says Gen Jérome Pellistrandi, editor of the National Defence Review.

These arguments are not without merit, says Mr Heisbourg. The problem is that by not being more present in theatre, France risks writing itself out of the plot.

"When I was in Kyiv, everyone was very polite. I had no sense that the Ukrainians disapproved of us," he says. "In a way it was worse. I had the distinct feeling we were becoming irrelevant."

For Mr Heisbourg the equation is simple. Ukraine will talk to countries who it knows are likely to deliver the weapons it needs. France at the moment is not one of them.

But there is another danger for France. Its relative absence in Ukraine undermines its bid for leadership in the cause of European defence.

Already many countries of eastern Europe are wary of President Macron, who they believe was far too indulgent towards Russia's Vladimir Putin in the first months of the war. A narrative has taken root according to which France still feels ambivalent about an outright Ukrainian triumph.

For Pierre Haroche, who lectures on international security at Queen Mary University of London, this narrative is unfair - and is not the reason for France's low levels of arms deliveries to Ukraine.

However, he is firmly of the view that France should beef up its contribution as early as possible, in order to reassure eastern European countries like Poland that "we are all on the same page".

"France's goal of strategic autonomy for Europe is focused primarily on building up our defence industries via joint procurement. But if you want joint procurement, you have to demonstrate to other countries that you have the same vision about our common security," he says.

"In order to make our objective of European co-operation viable, we need to show eastern European countries that co-operating with France and buying the idea of strategic autonomy is not a strategic risk."

Dr Haroche is calling for France to send 50 Leclerc main battle tanks. Mr Heisbourg would prefer air defence systems, which he says Ukraine is more in need of.

"It is like a fire extinguisher," says Dr Haroche. "If there is a fire in a neighbour's house it is better to offer your extinguisher straightaway, and not wait till the fire reaches your own home.

"It's not just generosity. It's also for your own protection."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63090644

Old 10-03-22, 07:25 AM   #6970
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-03-22, 07:34 AM   #6971
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Information in Italian newspaper about submarine "Belhorod" with atomic torpedo is manipulative, - CCD

The Italian newspaper La Repubblica spread information manipulation about the movement of the Russian submarine Belgorod, which was picked up by other world media.

As Censor.NET informs, this was reported by the Center for Counteraction Disinformation at the National Security and Defense Council.

"Referring, as it were, to a NATO intelligence report, La Repubblica writes that "Putin seems to be close to increasing the level of nuclear confrontation." According to the media's conclusions, there are fears that the mission of the Belgorod submarine, spotted in Arctic waters, is the first in history to test the Poseidon nuclear torpedo, which is often called the "Doomsday" warhead, the message says.

The CCD notes that as of October 3, such information has not been made public on the NATO website. Also, NATO regularly records the activity of Russian submarines since the Cold War, and the Alliance announced the modernization of navigation systems and armament of Russian submarines as early as 2016.

"Such unsubstantiated statements by the media only increase informational terrorism in the Russian Federation," the Center for Counteraction Disinformation emphasized. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3371184

Old 10-03-22, 07:37 AM   #6972
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Norway is strengthening its border with Russia, - Minister Mel

The 198-kilometer Norwegian-Russian border is patrolled and controlled by the defense garrison in Sr Varanger, and now the border guards will receive an additional control tool in the form of a police helicopter with sensors.

This is reported by High North News with reference to the statement of the Minister of Justice and Public Security of Norway, Emily Enger Mel, Censor.NET informs.

"The police control the Sturskoog crossing point and now their presence will also be increased in the border area outside the border station. The police helicopter will be a useful tool for monitoring the border area from the Norwegian side," Mel said.

The increased control abroad is connected with the partial mobilization announced by Russia. Norway does not exclude the introduction of a ban on the entry of citizens of Russia.

"We will close the border quickly if necessary, changes can happen instantly. Few Russians come to Norway compared to Finland, the situation is different here. Sturskug is our only border station in the direction of Russia. We are in close dialogue with the Norwegian police and Norwegian customs regarding developments at the border, everyone who arrives is checked," the minister said. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3371182

Old 10-03-22, 08:12 AM   #6973
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Three mobilized Russians died in training center of Ministry of Defense of Russian Federation. One committed suicide, others committed suicide, - Russian media (updated)

A 46-year-old resident of Kurgan was found in the canteen of the educational center, where he was sent after mobilization.

This is reported by Censor.NET with reference to the Russian mass media.

"The body of a 46-year-old resident of Kurgan, who was mobilized on September 26, was found on October 1 in the canteen of the tank training center of the military unit in the Sverdlovsk village of Poroshine. Cuts were found on the man's neck. According to preliminary data, he committed suicide," the message reads.

At the same time, EAnews notes that three mobilized soldiers died in the Yelan garrison of the training center of the Ministry of Defense in the village of Poroshine, Sverdlovsk region.

According to the publication's source, one mobilized person died of a heart attack, the second committed suicide, and the death of the third was related to alcohol.

Maxim Ivanov, a deputy of the State Duma of the Russian Federation from the Sverdlovsk Region, said: "One mobilized person died from an attack, and another committed suicide. The third was discharged and sent home, where he immediately died of cirrhosis of the liver."

The publication notes that in the village of Poroshine, where the training center of the Yelan Ministry of Defense is located, a curfew was introduced. This is due to the fact that the mobilized constantly abused alcohol. According to sources, the sale of alcohol has been completely stopped in the village. The reason was a mass fight organized by mobilized drunks. The police, the ambulance, and even the deputy commander of the district were on the way.

Later, the ombudsman of the Russian Federation Tetyana Merzlyakova explained that one mobilized person died due to an epileptic fit against the background of alcohol poisoning. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3371142

Old 10-03-22, 09:15 AM   #6974
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Petraeus said a response might see the U.S. and its NATO allies "take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield" in Ukraine, the contested region of Crimea that Russia annexed in 2014 and ships in the Black Sea.

"It cannot go unanswered. But it doesn't expand -- it's not nuclear for nuclear. You don't want to get into a nuclear escalation here," Petraeus said. "But you have to show that this cannot be accepted in any way."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/puti...ry?id=90824658

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 10-03-22, 09:32 AM   #6975
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

EU plans to train 15,000 Ukrainian soldiers, - Spiegel

The EU wants to make the Ukrainian army more effective with the help of a training mission. In recent weeks, EU member states agreed at the working level that up to 15,000 Ukrainian soldiers should undergo training outside the country as soon as possible.

This is reported by Censor.NET with reference to Spiegel.

According to diplomats involved in the negotiations, 3,000 Ukrainian soldiers must undergo special training, such as tactical combat training for commanders or courses for engineers.

The plans for the mission, which EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell proposed at the end of August, should be determined already in mid-October. According to EU diplomats, then everything can go very quickly. So far, individual EU countries have trained Ukrainians as part of bilateral projects. The Bundeswehr in Germany trained teams for weapons systems supplied by Berlin, such as the Panzerhaubitze2000 or the Gepard anti-aircraft system.

If the EU approves the mission, which will be given the somewhat cumbersome name "European Union Military Assistance Mission" or abbreviated EUMAM, then the activities of individual states will be combined, which will make it possible to improve coordination.

During the discussion of this mission, disagreements arose regarding planning details. Poland proposed to create a kind of central training camp for Ukrainians near the border with Ukraine. According to the military, the Poles wanted to train entire combat groups up to a battalion there. Germany, meanwhile, does not think too highly of the central training center. The Bundeswehr says that setting up a large training camp in Poland alone would take a long time, and that such a camp would have to be carefully secured against possible espionage by Russian intelligence services, as well as possible attacks or sabotage.

As a result, a compromise was found at the working level. It is assumed that the Poles will create something like a small headquarters, in military slang called "force headquarters", and will receive EU funds for this. Instead of a central training camp, individual courses should be organized in EU countries.

The final details of the EUMAM mission are to be agreed in Brussels next week. Then a decision on the project should be made at the next official meeting of the EU Council on October 17. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3371205

Closed Thread