Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-20, 08:34 PM   #13876
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

And we have a winner.

The $3 billion cost of design and production of the B-29 (equivalent to $43 billion today), far exceeding the $1.9 billion cost of the Manhattan Project, made the B-29 program the most expensive of the war.

Over to you Aktungbby.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 12-03-20, 08:57 PM   #13877
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

what's this?!! EDIT: I had actually seen the 'starboard' side of Enola Gay at the Smithsonian at niece's Xmas wedding in Washington DC last December; in contrast to the usual 'portside' shot with Enola Gay in big print seen in history books etc. >

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-04-20 at 06:08 PM.
Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-03-20, 09:06 PM   #13878
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

A bird.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 12-03-20, 09:22 PM   #13879
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

yes!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-04-20, 02:30 AM   #13880
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Well done! I did not know that B29s were ever used/in service by the UK

re Aktung an actual check through for start:

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-04-20, 03:09 AM   #13881
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Well done! I did not know that B29s were ever used/in service by the UK

re Aktung an actual check through for start:

A little added treat for Catfish from just up the road where I live:Note the VW beetle in background with radial propeller engine also!!?? https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ngines/126321/

Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-04-20, 06:11 AM   #13882
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Southern rockhopper penguin?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-04-20, 11:21 AM   #13883
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

you're getting warm

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-04-20 at 01:06 PM.
Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-04-20, 01:10 PM   #13884
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A penguin type?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-04-20, 02:35 PM   #13885
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ i take it you are up to something, something to do with noodles

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-04-20, 04:10 PM   #13886
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A penguin type?
Yes; but the species is now determined to be very specific and separate; based on the specific parasites of each of 3 species! What is the specific species?

Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-04-20, 05:29 PM   #13887
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

My money is on Eudyptes pachyrhynchus, Moseley's rockhopper penguin. And should I be wrong, I still want to thank you for making me going through at least ten papers on the Eudyptes species, their parasites, their breeding and mating patterns, their abundance in different Subantarctic habitats and of course their taxonomy. Felt like I was preparing for my diploma examination in zoology again.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 12-04-20, 05:57 PM   #13888
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
My money is on Eudyptes pachyrhynchus, Moseley's rockhopper penguin. And should I be wrong, I still want to thank you for making me going through at least ten papers on the Eudyptes species, their parasites, their breeding and mating patterns, their abundance in different Subantarctic habitats and of course their taxonomy. Felt like I was preparing for my diploma examination in zoology again.
Well U jus' moseley on over to the winner's circle! It is the Moseley's or Northen Rockhopper penguin. When Jimbo said Southern Rockhopper he was gettin' very 'warm'!!
Quote:
The rockhopper penguin was split into three distinct subspecies in 1992; the southern, (E. c. chrysocome), eastern (E. c. filholi) and northern rockhopper penguin (E. c. moseleyi). The three subspecies are distinguished by differences in the length of the tassels of the crests, the size and colour of the fleshy margin of the gape, colour pattern on the underside of the flipper and differences in the size of the supercilliary stripe in front of the eye. Additionally, the northern rockhopper penguin is larger than the other two subspecies.[8] Proof that the three subspecies were truly different, in terms of more than reproductive isolation and some morphological features, was found in the mitochondrial sequences of the three species. It was found E. c. filholi and E. c. chrysocome were not as different genetically as E. c. moseleyi was to the other two subspecies. The level of genetic differentiation was similar to the genetic difference found in other penguin subspecies groups.[3]Another way that scientists were able to differentiate the different subspecies of rockhoppers were in the parasites that fed off each separate rockhopper penguin species. Penguins are parasitised by 15 species of chewing lice in two genera, Austrogoniodes and the monotypic Nesiotinus. Within rockhopper penguins, the host-specific louse Austrogoniodes keleri is present only on southern rockhoppers; the multi-host Austrogoniodes concii parasitises only northern rockhoppers and Austrogoniodes hamiltoni parasitises only eastern rockhoppers.[9][10] Cross contamination of the lice is not possible naturally due to the fact that chewing lice have limited mobility and heavily rely on their host for survival, meaning that the lice can only be transmitted across species by way of close physical contact.[11]
Over to our resident 'zooologist'!PS: that study time was vengeance for a long night of looking at 40+ Portuguese African slave forts!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-04-20 at 06:14 PM.
Aktungbby is online  
Old 12-04-20, 06:40 PM   #13889
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Fair enough. But honestly I enjoyed browsing some biological publications again. There is too much computer and technical gibberish in the stuff I have to read these days, sometimes its nice to go back to your roots again. And penguins are amazing birds, seeing them "fly" under water always makes me wonder, if any human submarine designer will ever reach this level of elegance.

Hm. What's this and where can it be found?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 12-04-20, 07:23 PM   #13890
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Is it a window of a dwelling?

Aktungbby is online  
Closed Thread