Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-15, 10:53 PM   #76
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politenessman View Post
look for a country where they are having enough children to pay the taxes for the services you will need as you age, it helps if the country isn't running major deficts too.
So somewhere in Africa, or wherever there's a major war going on.

Peak child isn't just a European or American thing, it's a global thing caused by the improvement of medical practices and standards of living. When living standards go up, when children stop dying before they reach double figures then people have less children. It's a natural progression.

Does that mean we're going to have to pay for the aging population? Yes, of course it does, we're already seeing a massive rise in dementia rates and housing for old people, but that's just how it goes. You cannot have a constantly youthful population, it will swing between the two, because if you were to have a constantly youthful population growth then you would soon outgrow the planet you live on. We're already over 7 billion in total on this planet, mostly clustered in certain areas because we don't have the financial incentive to spread out more. Thus, trapped within the financial constraints we have made for ourselves, increasing the global population at a reckless pace is foolhardy. Unless you plan to go Logans Run and kill everyone when they reach 40.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 02:11 AM   #77
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Quote:

You misunderstand the crisis you face, the financial one is a disaster, but the demographic one is existential, it means you won't have the tax base to pay for your debts or services.
You missunderstand Europe. No wonder since you quoted Mark Steyn and after a research of his works I have concluded that I wouldn't use those books for fertilizer. They're a load of crap, but they lack actual nutritional values to be an actual manure.

Don't you worry your pretty litle head about Europe. We always find a way to deal with these problems, the hard way or the easy way. So we'll just have to pay our own pensions as we work and not relly on the younger generation for it. And maybe start educating our children on more savy financial maneouvers like investing money in growing markets so there's always a possible second income. Maybe we will turn hard left, nationalize our industries, throw the greedy fat cats into jail and live off the billions they wouldn't share. Maybe we'll turn far right, throw out anyone that doesn't fit in. Maybe we'll finally see the old generation without ideas die out and start a new world that's focused on prosperity rather than cheap political scoring.

European first half century is always turbolent which then evens out to second half of prosperity. So I chose the interesting time to get born.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 10:03 AM   #78
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
At risk of stating the obvious. no it doesn't.
Most of the world has neither.
What has changed for many 1st world people is expectations and an ability to prioritise, they expect to be able to afford a high end mobile phone and TV/broadband and an annual vacation, a 'gap year' at the end of university and all sorts of things that were considered luxuries not that long ago and will take on debt to get it.
Also, in many cases a willingness to go into debt to study subjects that have no likelihood of paying that debt off - I put that down to well meaning fools telling their kids to study "what they love" or "follow their passion" rather than telling them to study what will pay and use that money to fund following their passion/doing what they love in their spare time.
No one expects to afford a high end mobile. There are plenty pay as you go flip phones. But, in the 80's there was public pay phones on every corner. Not anymore. A mobile phone is a necessity. The street corner .10 cent phone is not longer available. Calling a cab or setting up a drug deal from a payphone is not longer a option. And as with the automobile, life has been directed with the use of an automobile. Life is also directed with the use of a cellphone. Many business, including my own, require a cellphone. In the 80's a cellphone was not required in places of employment.

Television, in my neck of the woods a special box is required to still received "free" television. The free TV channel selection is very minimal.

I'm not sure why the tangent on telling kids what to study, follow a passion or what they love have to do with expenses of cable TV and a cell phone.
Old 09-03-15, 06:28 PM   #79
Politenessman
Watch

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
So somewhere in Africa, or wherever there's a major war going on.

Peak child isn't just a European or American thing, it's a global thing caused by the improvement of medical practices and standards of living. When living standards go up, when children stop dying before they reach double figures then people have less children. It's a natural progression.

Does that mean we're going to have to pay for the aging population? Yes, of course it does, we're already seeing a massive rise in dementia rates and housing for old people, but that's just how it goes. You cannot have a constantly youthful population, it will swing between the two, because if you were to have a constantly youthful population growth then you would soon outgrow the planet you live on. We're already over 7 billion in total on this planet, mostly clustered in certain areas because we don't have the financial incentive to spread out more. Thus, trapped within the financial constraints we have made for ourselves, increasing the global population at a reckless pace is foolhardy. Unless you plan to go Logans Run and kill everyone when they reach 40.
"Peak child" has nothing to do with it, it just lowers the figure to reach replacement rate, before you comment further I'd suggest you read up on demographics otherwise you are at risk of making a fool of yourself.
Politenessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 06:42 PM   #80
Politenessman
Watch

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
No one expects to afford a high end mobile. There are plenty pay as you go flip phones. But, in the 80's there was public pay phones on every corner. Not anymore. A mobile phone is a necessity. The street corner .10 cent phone is not longer available. Calling a cab or setting up a drug deal from a payphone is not longer a option. And as with the automobile, life has been directed with the use of an automobile. Life is also directed with the use of a cellphone. Many business, including my own, require a cellphone. In the 80's a cellphone was not required in places of employment.

Television, in my neck of the woods a special box is required to still received "free" television. The free TV channel selection is very minimal.

I'm not sure why the tangent on telling kids what to study, follow a passion or what they love have to do with expenses of cable TV and a cell phone.
You don't need a mobile phone, nor do you need a car, or for that matter, a TV - they are lifestyle/financial choices you make and if your workplace requires a mobile phone, they can supply it.

If you 'need' a mobile phone to set up your drug deals, you have bigger issues than phone affordability to be getting on with.

Re telling people what to study, you might have noted people were complaining about University debts in this thread, perhaps reading the thread before commenting on 'tangents' would be helpful in future?
Politenessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 02:05 AM   #81
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

No one will employ you here if you don't own a mobile phone and employers will give people with their own cars preference in employment.
And lets not forget internet. You can't even send a job aplication anymore without an e-mail adress. Well, you can but without an e-mail adress at the header your aplication will roam straight to the ignore and shred pile.

And mobile phones are cheap, they're no longer a luxury for the rich. I paid €200 for my phone, it's still going strong 2 years later, my monthly charge is a fixed €10. That's not luxury, that's cheaper than food.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 11:05 AM   #82
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
You don't need a mobile phone, nor do you need a car, or for that matter, a TV - they are lifestyle/financial choices you make and if your workplace requires a mobile phone, they can supply it.

If you 'need' a mobile phone to set up your drug deals, you have bigger issues than phone affordability to be getting on with.

Re telling people what to study, you might have noted people were complaining about University debts in this thread, perhaps reading the thread before commenting on 'tangents' would be helpful in future?
Sure, you don't need a phone or car...if you live in the city. Even so, no street corner public phones. So yes, if one want to enjoy city life without phone/car they can. And get grip, not all companies pay for your cellphone if used for company business. The reason being the phone can be used for personal use. My last job in sales required a phone at my expense.

Please note I have two daughters in college and well aware of the cost for higher education. The thread concerned the stock market. So why the tangent on university debt in the thread at all?
Old 09-04-15, 11:37 AM   #83
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Please note I have two daughters in college and well aware of the cost for higher education. The thread concerned the stock market. So why the tangent on university debt in the thread at all?
I think it was down to the old 'Young people have it too good' syndrome.
Old 01-15-16, 11:46 AM   #84
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Massive sell off in US stocks, the DOW has slumped over 300 points, oil prices slipped below $30 a barrel for the first time in over a decade, and the Chinese economy is an ongoing concern.
Earlier this week an internal note in RBS was leaked, written by an Andrew Roberts its advice was 'Sell mostly everything'.

The Bull Run looks to be drawing to a close, prepare for the Bear.
Old 01-15-16, 12:17 PM   #85
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

All part of we must keep that I.O.U paper going.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 01-15-16 at 06:25 PM.
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 02:53 PM   #86
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Massive sell off in US stocks, the DOW has slumped over 300 points, oil prices slipped below $30 a barrel for the first time in over a decade, and the Chinese economy is an ongoing concern.
U.S. stock markets sharply lower on Friday, with the Dow Jones industrial average briefly declining more than 500 points.

This news is even more disturbing for USA and China:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walma...ry?id=36315019

Walmart is closing 269 of its stores, including 154 locations in the United States, the company said today.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 04:27 PM   #87
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
U.S. stock markets sharply lower on Friday, with the Dow Jones industrial average briefly declining more than 500 points.

This news is even more disturbing for USA and China:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walma...ry?id=36315019

Walmart is closing 269 of its stores, including 154 locations in the United States, the company said today.
Crikey, things must be bad if even Walmart are feeling the bite.

Not good, not good at all.
Old 01-15-16, 06:19 PM   #88
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

There is no crisis. There is only a stubborn reality that refuses to comply with political demands for money growing on trees.

Wait until the FED again needs to LOWER service rates! First it will be the laughter that is deafening your ears. Then the desperate yelling.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-15-16 at 06:26 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 06:26 PM   #89
Oberon
Lucky Jack

And yet it's a reality that we and the rest of the world live in, so for all intents and purposes, there is a crisis....well, one brewing at least.
Old 01-15-16, 06:29 PM   #90
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Dump paper money and invest in Bit Coin or physical Gold and Silver, not shares the real thing you need.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
market, stock, stocks