Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-11, 08:55 PM   #181
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
I don't think you understood what I was saying.
Apparently not. I thought your Steam comparison was about only having to connect once. My mistake.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 03-14-11, 08:25 PM   #182
Lexington
Nub

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

I just purchased this game sunday from amazon.com via digital download because I had heard that the constant connect was removed. however when I play it still is requiring me to be connected to internet. is the DRM removal only for the physical disc copies or do i need to download a patch separate from the ubisoft loader?
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:19 PM   #183
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

They caught you on the technicality. CONSTANT internet connection is dropped.

You still have to be on the net to initially start up the game.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 09:50 AM   #184
Lexington
Nub

Downloads: 29

mines still constant, my net dropped in middle of gameplay this morning and the game force closed. but i must say i am impressed with the game for most part so i guess i can deal
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 06:51 AM   #185
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

I wonder how many of us are still on the sidelines waiting for UBI to drop the connection requirement to play. I know Sailor Steve is is still out. But I wonder how many others are still on the sidelines (and how many caved)?

I haven't given a dime to UBI on any games since they implemented the new DRM.

The chumps that designed UBI's DRM should have studied the Steam model more carefully. Steam has very good balance...Yes, you must occasionally log onto Steam and validate your intall, yet the rest of the time you can play in offline mode where ever and when ever you like. It's a little intrusive (as all DRMs are) but not to the point of being obnoxious or limiting opportunities for play.
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:18 AM   #186
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

I caved when they dropped the constant connection requirement. I've had the game for about two weeks and have only had one or two times where the game kicked me out when trying to synchronize saves. I think it was my fault though because our baby monitor was on and it interferes with our wireless connection.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 12:28 PM   #187
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
I wonder how many of us are still on the sidelines waiting for UBI to drop the connection requirement to play. I know Sailor Steve is is still out. But I wonder how many others are still on the sidelines (and how many caved)?

I haven't given a dime to UBI on any games since they implemented the new DRM.

The chumps that designed UBI's DRM should have studied the Steam model more carefully. Steam has very good balance...Yes, you must occasionally log onto Steam and validate your intall, yet the rest of the time you can play in offline mode where ever and when ever you like. It's a little intrusive (as all DRMs are) but not to the point of being obnoxious or limiting opportunities for play.
I am, and I have no problem with the waiting.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:29 AM   #188
Sardaukar67
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 47

Same here, though £5.50 deal from amazon.co.uk for SH V is bit tempting.
Sardaukar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:37 AM   #189
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
have only had one or two times where the game kicked me out when trying to synchronize saves.
Strange. That it would disconnect you.
BTW, turn your synching of saves off. No stupid pauses whilst sinking allied tonnage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
I am, and I have no problem with the waiting.
How long will you wait? Until the 'connection required to login' is patched out?
Good luck with that. A patch isn't around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar67 View Post
Same here, though £5.50 deal from amazon.co.uk for SH V is bit tempting.
Take the plunge, it's worth it.
The modders here are amazing and have transformed this game into a really enjoyable and playable simulation.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 03:37 PM   #190
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
How long will you wait? Until the 'connection required to login' is patched out?
If it was wrong when they did it, then it's still wrong. If you don't think it's wrong, then fine. Personally, I'll wait until it's gone completely. If that never happens, I'll still have my principles.

Quote:
Good luck with that. A patch isn't around the corner.
It didn't require a patch to partially remove it, and they said that ultimately it would happen. It they lied, then there's even more reason not to support them, no matter how little it costs.
Old 03-31-11, 04:16 PM   #191
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
If it was wrong when they did it, then it's still wrong. If you don't think it's wrong, then fine. Personally, I'll wait until it's gone completely. If that never happens, I'll still have my principles.

Steve, you keep raising the same argument, but it is not a question of right or wrong or high moral principles. You make it sound like you are defending your civil rights under the Constitution.

Ubisoft has designed and is selling software, in this case a game. Ubisoft may choose to subject said software (GAME) to whatever restrictions it deems appropriate. The customer may choose to buy or not buy said software (GAME) based on said restrictions.

The fact that you chose not to buy said software (GAME) because of said restrictions does not make you "principled", it just means you are STUBBORN.

Just like the fact that the rest of us mere mortals (SH5 players) chose to buy said software (GAME) despite such relatively minor, (inconsequential really)restrictions does not make us UN-principled...it just means that we realize that its just a game.
Old 03-31-11, 04:24 PM   #192
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Steve , you should remove the constant conection logo in your sig .
I can make a new one for you with connection required to play or something like that .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 04:51 PM   #193
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

for me, its about choice and control: the freedom to choose and who controls it.
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 05:25 PM   #194
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Steve, you keep raising the same argument, but it is not a question of right or wrong or high moral principles. You make it sound like you are defending your civil rights under the Constitution.
You seem to be ignoring the context. It's not an argument at all. Someone raises the question of "how long will you wait", and I respond with my reason for not buying it, and why that reason still stands. In case you missed the hundred or more times I've said it, I don't condemn anyone who disgrees, and I've even recommended that others buy the game. For me it is a matter of principle: They did something I find morally wrong, and I won't support it.

It has nothing to do with rights. I just give the reason for my choices.

Quote:
Ubisoft has designed and is selling software, in this case a game. Ubisoft may choose to subject said software (GAME) to whatever restrictions it deems appropriate. The customer may choose to buy or not buy said software (GAME) based on said restrictions.
And I choose not to buy it. And I only mention it when someone asks for reasons not to buy it.

Quote:
The fact that you chose not to buy said software (GAME) because of said restrictions does not make you "principled", it just means you are STUBBORN.
No, it means I believe what they did in this case is truly morally wrong, and I won't support it. That's all I've ever said.

Quote:
Just like the fact that the rest of us mere mortals (SH5 players) chose to buy said software (GAME) despite such relatively minor, (inconsequential really)restrictions does not make us UN-principled...it just means that we realize that its just a game.
Can you show one instance where I've said that anyone but me shouldn't buy the game? It doesn't matter to me how minor the restriction is. To me if it's wrong it's wrong. Period.

I could just as easily retort that it sounds like you're trying to justify your own guilty conscience for giving in to temptation when others have stood strong. But I don't really ascribe that type of motive to anyone, and I don't trust my own motives or reasons enough to accuse anyone else of having bad ones.

A question was asked. I answered it. You seem to think I'm trying to convince others. I'm not. As I said, it's just my reason for opposing it. I don't expect it to be anyone else's.
Old 03-31-11, 05:28 PM   #195
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Steve , you should remove the constant conection logo in your sig .
I can make a new one for you with connection required to play or something like that .
It doesn't say "constant", it says "permanent". Do you not have to have a connection to log on? Do you only have to have it at 3 PM, and not when you log on at 6 PM? I'm hoping it's not permanent, which means that someday it will be removed. Until that happens, it looks pretty permanent to me.

However, if you want to make one that says "Internet connection STILL required to log on", I'll gladly accept your offer.

On the other other hand, though the meaning is very obvious, it doesn't name a specific game...