SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-15, 06:04 PM   #1
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 0
gear darker nights

Can somebody tell me, how and which files I can modify to get real dark nights as like in Traveller's mod? As my current game has a light bluish nights capable of seeing almost everything.

Tnx!
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 08:35 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Environmental mods are something I just don't mess with. I haven't seen one yet which actually improves the game at all and I've seen terrible effects on gameplay.

In my book gameplay is KING. Eyecandy is okay, but only if it has no impact on gameplay.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 10:29 PM   #3
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Use a Sweetfx preset that will make the nights darker. It is only changes graphics so it won't mess with the sensor detection.
Old 12-05-15, 10:47 PM   #4
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Environmental mods are something I just don't mess with. I haven't seen one yet which actually improves the game at all and I've seen terrible effects on gameplay.

In my book gameplay is KING. Eyecandy is okay, but only if it has no impact on gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Use a Sweetfx preset that will make the nights darker. It is only changes graphics so it won't mess with the sensor detection.
Uhm, I have not idea what those things are. Are those mods, apps or what?
Old 12-06-15, 05:07 AM   #5
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

SweetFx is a graphics utility that gets installed in the main game folder. You could tweak just about any graphics option you could think of. Youtube has some great tutorials on how to use, and set up. It's not hard at all. I use it in several games, including this one. The only drawback that I could think of, is to my knowledge SweetFx only works with Direct X based games. I don't think it works on Open GL based games.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 06:08 AM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
Can somebody tell me, how and which files I can modify to get real dark nights as like in Traveller's mod? As my current game has a light bluish nights capable of seeing almost everything.

Tnx!
You could tinker with the scene.dat file, but I wouldn't advise it. Most likely you would mess up your game.

More sensibly, you could simply change your monitors settings, or the game's graphics settings, so it's darker.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 10:16 AM   #7
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
You could tinker with the scene.dat file, but I wouldn't advise it. Most likely you would mess up your game.

More sensibly, you could simply change your monitors settings, or the game's graphics settings, so it's darker.

I was thinking more on extracting from Traveller's mod only the "weather" or n"night" files which will only make my nights darker without affecting all of the other game specs.

Would any of you have an idea which files are those or if it is possible?
Old 12-06-15, 12:47 PM   #8
Kilo
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
SweetFx is a graphics utility that gets installed in the main game folder. You could tweak just about any graphics option you could think of. Youtube has some great tutorials on how to use, and set up. It's not hard at all. I use it in several games, including this one. The only drawback that I could think of, is to my knowledge SweetFx only works with Direct X based games. I don't think it works on Open GL based games.
I saw SweetFX working with OpenGL. It was for a flight sim, though... I'll post a link to that if interest is shown for conversion.
Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 11:24 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
I was thinking more on extracting from Traveller's mod only the "weather" or n"night" files which will only make my nights darker without affecting all of the other game specs.

Would any of you have an idea which files are those or if it is possible?
Use Traveller's version of the scene.dat file. However, it affects waves, fog, etc. There is no night file, or such.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 11:13 PM   #10
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I have a mod for darker nights, basically cuz i didn't like travs, you're welcome to try it if I can find it. I basically used TMO, just changed the water in the day and pretty much redid the nights to darker and you could make more realistic night surface attacks based on moonlight.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 11:41 PM   #11
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I have a mod for darker nights, basically cuz i didn't like travs, you're welcome to try it if I can find it. I basically used TMO, just changed the water in the day and pretty much redid the nights to darker and you could make more realistic night surface attacks based on moonlight.
That is exactly what I am looking for! Let me know if you can find it!

Old 12-24-15, 09:31 PM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
That is exactly what I am looking for! Let me know if you can find it!

pm me your email and i'll send it to u

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote