SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-22, 08:06 AM   #1081
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0

First off thank you again BubbleHead for the Overhaul to the Overhaul. I have only ever played the original TMO with RSRDC, and although great as it was, it has become very dated.

I do have a question or two for BubbleHead or another knowledgeable player.
I have read threw all of the documentation in search for an answer for this however I could not find one, so if it is there and I missed it I apologize.

I am wanting to know if moving the deck gun from the aft to the fore when getting a new sub class problem has been fixed some how some way, or do I still have to do some text editing with note pad (or the like) so the deck gun slots don't vanish when I get my new command. Over the years I have been able to deal with the 2 or 3 other little quarks of SH-4 no problem, but the deck gun problem, that one is my nemesis, we are old adversaries.

No rush on a reply. I do not expect to be promoted for a while yet, much less offered a new boat, so like I said..... no rush.

Also, if a work around is still required to move the deck gun from aft to fore when taking command of a new sub, what is the best/easiest way to proceed? I would be greatfull for any help.

At one time I was able to pull it off, but it was such a multi step process that was easy to mess up I just started beginning my new careers in a Gato as soon as possible (about early-mid '42) which means I have not done it in a while and now have totally forgot how. The bane of my SH-4 existence that one bug/flaw is.

And lastly... another question for BubbleHead, or any other kindly helpful soul....

I have always tried to keep my MOD sets very lean.

This is what I have so far.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\00_SH-4\MODS]

Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.5 UpdateBH V2.0
Nav Map Make-Over TMO Update 2.0
NMMO Patch TMO Update V2.0
TMO Update BH V2.0 PATCH 01
EAX_Clang_Splash
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses
Tracer Mod v3

See any red flags, problems, situations, predicaments, issues, troubles, or anything just plain wrong?
The reason I ask is because the first time I loaded my first save it did this weird thing where when I tried to set up way points the little line to show where your boat will go did not appear when I was using the tool to set up the way points, and every time I tried to set one, nothing would appear and the helmsman would say “Returning to cores” and then right after that he would say “All stop” like when you reach your last way point. I closed the game, restarted the computer, reloaded and then everything was fine. In the preceding 8 or 10 times after that it has also been fine, it was just that one time, and I have never had that situation/bug/problem before in playing the game ever. That was a weird one.

Any and all info is much appreciated, and thank you in advance for any info... from BubbleHead or anyone else.

StealthRabbit
Old 08-19-22, 12:33 PM   #1082
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
First off thank you again BubbleHead for the Overhaul to the Overhaul. I have only ever played the original TMO with RSRDC, and although great as it was, it has become very dated.

I do have a question or two for BubbleHead or another knowledgeable player.
I have read threw all of the documentation in search for an answer for this however I could not find one, so if it is there and I missed it I apologize.

I am wanting to know if moving the deck gun from the aft to the fore when getting a new sub class problem has been fixed some how some way, or do I still have to do some text editing with note pad (or the like) so the deck gun slots don't vanish when I get my new command. Over the years I have been able to deal with the 2 or 3 other little quarks of SH-4 no problem, but the deck gun problem, that one is my nemesis, we are old adversaries.

No rush on a reply. I do not expect to be promoted for a while yet, much less offered a new boat, so like I said..... no rush.

Also, if a work around is still required to move the deck gun from aft to fore when taking command of a new sub, what is the best/easiest way to proceed? I would be greatfull for any help.

At one time I was able to pull it off, but it was such a multi step process that was easy to mess up I just started beginning my new careers in a Gato as soon as possible (about early-mid '42) which means I have not done it in a while and now have totally forgot how. The bane of my SH-4 existence that one bug/flaw is.

And lastly... another question for BubbleHead, or any other kindly helpful soul....

I have always tried to keep my MOD sets very lean.

This is what I have so far.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\00_SH-4\MODS]

Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.5 UpdateBH V2.0
Nav Map Make-Over TMO Update 2.0
NMMO Patch TMO Update V2.0
TMO Update BH V2.0 PATCH 01
EAX_Clang_Splash
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses
Tracer Mod v3

See any red flags, problems, situations, predicaments, issues, troubles, or anything just plain wrong?
The reason I ask is because the first time I loaded my first save it did this weird thing where when I tried to set up way points the little line to show where your boat will go did not appear when I was using the tool to set up the way points, and every time I tried to set one, nothing would appear and the helmsman would say “Returning to cores” and then right after that he would say “All stop” like when you reach your last way point. I closed the game, restarted the computer, reloaded and then everything was fine. In the preceding 8 or 10 times after that it has also been fine, it was just that one time, and I have never had that situation/bug/problem before in playing the game ever. That was a weird one.

Any and all info is much appreciated, and thank you in advance for any info... from BubbleHead or anyone else.

StealthRabbit

Glad you are checking the mod out

Unfortunately moving deck gun and conning tower upgrade issues remain, I have been unable to resolve them as was original creator of TMO. Thought I covered it in the README, if left it out, oops.

There is a TMO Aft deck guns mod included, its from the original TMO, can activate it before career start and will have aft deck gun, forward deck is default. This is not necessary is using Tambor or Gar as their deck guns are always aft mounted (my understanding is pretty much of them kept aft mounted deck guns, I could be wrong). This was the work around mod.

To switch mid career, will require the procedure, editing files.

Your mod list: What is Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses? Your non "official" mods(those no prescribed in README) may be interfering with things, thus your issue.

Make sure follow readme on install, esp location of where SH 4 is installed etc.

The IJN radar fix is not needed, radar fix was improved incorporated into TMO Update mod. This was mentioned in the README I thought?

Enjoy the mod, let us know how it goes.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 02:08 PM   #1083
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Glad you are checking the mod out

Unfortunately moving deck gun and conning tower upgrade issues remain, I have been unable to resolve them as was original creator of TMO. Thought I covered it in the README, if left it out, oops.

There is a TMO Aft deck guns mod included, its from the original TMO, can activate it before career start and will have aft deck gun, forward deck is default. This is not necessary is using Tambor or Gar as their deck guns are always aft mounted (my understanding is pretty much of them kept aft mounted deck guns, I could be wrong). This was the work around mod.

To switch mid career, will require the procedure, editing files.

Your mod list: What is Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses? Your non "official" mods(those no prescribed in README) may be interfering with things, thus your issue.

Make sure follow readme on install, esp location of where SH 4 is installed etc.

The IJN radar fix is not needed, radar fix was improved incorporated into TMO Update mod. This was mentioned in the README I thought?

Enjoy the mod, let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do endeavor to read (and have read) all the read me's. I mean, people go threw the effort of writing it after making a free MOD that makes my game better, the least I can do is read the read me before I go and bother the person that made the MOD about something they did cover already. That's my thinking anyway. Everyone is different. It's just soooo much info... and then I will try and go threw message threads to see if a subject has been talked about... but there is not just 2 or 3 of thoes. I guess some stuff is bound to just fall out of my head... getting crowded in there.

Anyway...

I guess I put the IJN radar fix in out of habit, because I do remember read me info saying it was included, silly me.

So far the only issue I have had (besides that one time weird Way Point plotter thing) is when I try and load a save where I am near multiple ships I get a CTD. However this was not a huge surprise because I remember this happening with TMO classic now and then, and because I make many saves (especially with the new MOD and all) it did not ruin my day/patrol. Besides that everything has been smooth.

On the personal preference side of things, that new klaxon sound when I give the order to dive is... jarring. It even startled my oldest pet rabbit who is use to everything and is never startled anymore. He looked at me as if to say “Why would you do that?”. (Or maybe I'm anthropomorphising). I think I might try out alternate sound MODs. Know of any that have something with a name like Klaxon not-so-loud? I do enjoy the immersion but I have never been a fan of any of the klaxon sounds. I guess I startle easy.

Have not come across a single Japanese cargo ship yet. If you have reduced the traffic as much as I think it will defiantly be a fix for 1,000,000 tone careers. That's a good thing. I want it to be a challenge to get to the top of that Aces list. Also I hope it's possible with just a bit of dedication. Time will tell.

Did I say starting 6 months before Dec 7, 1941 is awesome? Because it is.

Thanks again.
StealthRabbit
Old 08-20-22, 02:59 PM   #1084
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I do endeavor to read (and have read) all the read me's. I mean, people go threw the effort of writing it after making a free MOD that makes my game better, the least I can do is read the read me before I go and bother the person that made the MOD about something they did cover already. That's my thinking anyway. Everyone is different. It's just soooo much info... and then I will try and go threw message threads to see if a subject has been talked about... but there is not just 2 or 3 of thoes. I guess some stuff is bound to just fall out of my head... getting crowded in there.

Anyway...

I guess I put the IJN radar fix in out of habit, because I do remember read me info saying it was included, silly me.

So far the only issue I have had (besides that one time weird Way Point plotter thing) is when I try and load a save where I am near multiple ships I get a CTD. However this was not a huge surprise because I remember this happening with TMO classic now and then, and because I make many saves (especially with the new MOD and all) it did not ruin my day/patrol. Besides that everything has been smooth.

On the personal preference side of things, that new klaxon sound when I give the order to dive is... jarring. It even startled my oldest pet rabbit who is use to everything and is never startled anymore. He looked at me as if to say “Why would you do that?”. (Or maybe I'm anthropomorphising). I think I might try out alternate sound MODs. Know of any that have something with a name like Klaxon not-so-loud? I do enjoy the immersion but I have never been a fan of any of the klaxon sounds. I guess I startle easy.

Have not come across a single Japanese cargo ship yet. If you have reduced the traffic as much as I think it will defiantly be a fix for 1,000,000 tone careers. That's a good thing. I want it to be a challenge to get to the top of that Aces list. Also I hope it's possible with just a bit of dedication. Time will tell.

Did I say starting 6 months before Dec 7, 1941 is awesome? Because it is.

Thanks again.
StealthRabbit

Yes, it is a lot of information, I tried to be detailed though. SH 4 is a fairly complex simulation actually, and submarine warfare was complex so simulating it properly is also. Mods do make things more realistic, enhance things, but can make it more complex as well.

Traffic is now overall slower and yes its more difficult to reach the top, but it also depends on factors such as the time period...early war, mid war, late war, assigned patrol area.

Pre-War "campaign, nice. I've played through twice in testing, it can be fun or boring lol. Odds are, you likely will not see a lot of traffic because its pre war. Japanese vessels which will ignore you one patrol, then attack you the next, then ignore you again, it depends. This reflects escalating tensions . Creates a sense of tension though, you never know. Also depends on your orders, where you are assigned.

In one pre war career, I spotted the a carrier (Akagi), on its sea trials in 1941) and shadowed, sent a contact report. While at periscope depth, observing from about 4000 yards plane spotted me, missed with bombs but two destroyers came my way, after fired at my scope, fired "down the throat" shot in self defense and went deep. I had external camera off but heard one of two torpedoes impact, followed by explosions, breaking up noises, was credited with sinking a destroyer. Next patrol spotted a japanese tanker, which ignored me.

Pre War career spotted one Japanese merchant vessel, that was it, just how it worked out.

Pre war career is a good chance to hone your operations, familiarity with the boats capabilities, get the crew some experience, etc but has that sense of tension due to possible threats. Get invested in career than once war starts, go from there.

Yes, should never save near ships etc. That is cardinal rule of SH 4.

When saving a game, should always make sure have no contacts on sonar, radar, visual. Check your hydrophone make sure you can hear no vessels, no sound contacts i.e. the green light does not light up.

Be careful how many saves you have, sim can get strange once have too many.

Klaxon is a authentic WW II klaxon, recording of the USS Pampanito in San Francisco, so was used for immersion purposes. Diving klaxons were loud for a reason. If just cant tolerate it, there are alternate dive alarm sounds in the sounds section here at subsim.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 08-20-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-20-22, 03:39 PM   #1085
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Y If just cant tolerate it, there are alternate dive alarm sounds in the sounds section here at subsim.
or.....one can lower the volume in Data\Sound\SH.sdl.
that's what i did. somewhere between 50 and 70 depending on your sound card and speakers.
no offense, BH, i like yours much more than the one with Harvey Keitel asking for some dive on the planes. i gritted my teeth every time i heard it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 05:48 PM   #1086
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
or.....one can lower the volume in Data\Sound\SH.sdl.
that's what i did. somewhere between 50 and 70 depending on your sound card and speakers.
no offense, BH, i like yours much more than the one with Harvey Keitel asking for some dive on the planes. i gritted my teeth every time i heard it.

Yes, that is a option as well.

Yes, I loathed the sound clip from U-571 and dive alarms not matching etc., that was from original TMO, when I started modding one of the first things I changed lol. One use for V2.0 is my favorite, we finally have a historically accurate dive klaxon.
Old 08-21-22, 10:16 AM   #1087
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

At least I was expecting an answer.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 12:12 PM   #1088
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
At least I was expecting an answer.
Quote:
you want to know if i get "angels" and trucks driving on the water when i use this as the basis:
TMO BH
starting in June, 1941 from Cavite Naval Yard in a Perch (whatever that class was)

my apologies for not answering your question.
i have been pulled in 32 different directions and this one got lost.
i'll look at it today and tell you what i found.

LAA enabled
Old 08-21-22, 12:36 PM   #1089
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
my apologies for not answering your question.
i have been pulled in 32 different directions and this one got lost.
i'll look at it today and tell you what i found.
ok, i found trucks, driving on the water, but no angels.

LAA enabled
Old 08-21-22, 12:59 PM   #1090
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

[QUOTE=KaleunMarco;2824151]ok, i found trucks, driving on the water, but no angels.

thx KaleunMarco ...
this was mainly for BH...about my list...
but I'm glad to see that you have these problems too.. it reassures me
I show you the angels see your screen approaching this ship... you see them...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 03:18 PM   #1091
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

[QUOTE=Kal_Maximus_U669;2824153]
Quote:

thx KaleunMarco ...
lmao.
i saw that "blip" and i thought it was a seaplane because they are parked in the harbor. i never thought to zoom it.
since i did not see them on the pier(above the pier) i figured they were not present.
so, after further review, TMO_BH does have both angels and truck-boats in Manila Bay.

LAA enabled
Old 08-21-22, 04:39 PM   #1092
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

[QUOTE=KaleunMarco;2824176]
Quote:

lmao.
i saw that "blip" and i thought it was a seaplane because they are parked in the harbor. i never thought to zoom it.
since i did not see them on the pier(above the pier) i figured they were not present.
so, after further review, TMO_BH does have both angels and truck-boats in Manila Bay.

Hmm... thinking of grabbing some waterfront property...

Just letting it be known that there is also that, on that list... & I know that it does take time to look into... so not stroking out over it...

Has been some time since I messed about with coding & such & well know that... it's NOT an easy task, as 1 slip up can cause a world of schiznitz.... not to mention a load of head banging & hair pulling, as a result.... & I do appreciate all the hard work & effort by modders.

Soooo... from Me... a hearty thanks...

M. M.
Old 08-21-22, 05:52 PM   #1093
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

[QUOTE=Kal_Maximus_U669;2824153]
Quote:

thx KaleunMarco ...
Thanks for the reports. I did not notice this when I was in Manila during testing. I will take a look at it when I return from vacation.

Some areas may unavoidable due to the options for port placement and the limited spaced in historical locations, such as where Cavite is supposed to be. If you are talking about Manila harbor itself, not sure, I never went there in testing.
Old 08-21-22, 07:06 PM   #1094
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

[QUOTE=Bubblehead1980;2824200]
Quote:

Thanks for the reports. I did not notice this when I was in Manila during testing. I will take a look at it when I return from vacation.

Some areas may unavoidable due to the options for port placement and the limited spaced in historical locations, such as where Cavite is supposed to be. If you are talking about Manila harbor itself, not sure, I never went there in testing.
Can confirm, that there is at least... 2 trucks that are proving to be... amphibs... maybe a 3rd. Can't swear for definitive on the 3rd... it may be that 1 of the 2, is on a shorter circuit than the other one... *shrugs*

May have seen nurses flying high above the water or a ship... will see of setting up another career, out of Cavite... to cross verify that or... simply fire up My career start off, out of Cavite...

M. M.
Old 08-21-22, 07:07 PM   #1095
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

[QUOTE=Mad Mardigan;2824213]
Quote:

Can confirm, that there is at least... 2 trucks that are proving to be... amphibs... maybe a 3rd. Can't swear for definitive on the 3rd... it may be that 1 of the 2, is on a shorter circuit than the other one... *shrugs*

May have seen nurses flying high above the water or a ship... will see of setting up another career, out of Cavite... to cross verify that or... simply fire up My career start off, out of Cavite...

M. M.

I have never had issue with nurses, but trucks in some places. They are part of the ports scenery unfortunately.