SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-09, 07:29 AM   #1
brandenburg
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Is the towed array performance more real in SCXIIc?

I found that the blank area of towed array(30 degree to left and right ahead the ship .etc) in SCXIIc is much less then original SC. Is this change make the game more real or more playable?
brandenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 10:18 PM   #2
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

A bit more realism I think.
Old 02-15-09, 09:36 AM   #3
brandenburg
Nub

Thanks for your advice.I hope so,more real
Old 02-15-09, 10:33 AM   #4
Frame57
Sea Lord

Have not played in awhile, but I recall some of the boats have port and starboard arrays you can choose. I forget which ones use the 16 and 29 array but you can select them and see if you notice a difference.
Old 02-16-09, 09:01 PM   #5
brandenburg
Nub

I have tried and found that 688i can choose the port array.The reason why i didn't find this is that i can stream both of them at the same time in 688(i) HK while only one tow array can be streamed in SC.But the two arrays have little different performance.

btw,in SCXIIc the distance i can identify what class the target is has been cut off too much, it means that if i have to get close enough to the target to confirm whether it is an enemy target before i fire at the risk of being shoot by enemy first and less chance to evade the incoming torps. Any suggestions about this problem?
Old 02-17-09, 11:41 AM   #6
Frame57
Sea Lord

I was not a Sonar Tech while i was in so I am not the most skilled with Sonar. I was a Knuckle Dragger. (Machinist Mate) but i spent a lot of time on a few patrols and was part of our tracking party when we made contact with soviet subs. My boat had one towed array. It was not uncommon for our Sonar gang to have classified other subs out to 20K yards. I remember this vividly while in the Control room on watch. This of course depends on other varibles such as the current accoustical conditions of the sea, the speed of the other sub etc... One of the tactics we used in the 70's was called "sprint and drift". This tactic relied on the hope that the sub you were trailing did not have a deployed towed array. If you were in the targets baffles you could increase speed without being detected and then go to a 1/3 bell and drift in closer. This was usually done so that recording could be made of the other sub. many people erroneously think that we intentionally got real close to soviet subs to antangonize them and this was not true at all.

As far as the game goes, you can try this tactic. Because you do want to classify your target before firing a fish at it. Also use your thermal layer to avoid detection. If a target is heading in your direction simply be patient and position yourself so your TA and Fire Control can track them and let them close the distance. I always fire two fish at a target. I set one fish to run at the estimated depth of the target and the other fish I set for 400 feet deeper because a sub that is attempting to flee an incoming torpedo will use decoys and then 99% of the time go deep. So I dely the second torpedo by 60 seconds or so then fire. Good luck!
Old 02-18-09, 03:06 AM   #7
brandenburg
Nub

Oh,thanks very much.I'll try this tactic
Old 05-30-09, 04:42 PM   #8
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default This will Help

To add to frame 57's comments: On the 688i adjust your angle 30 degree's left and right of the bearing to the target. This takes time because of the length of your arrays. But, it fixes your firing solution. It is not necessary to do this on the Seawolf class they have WAA, and I don't know about the Akula.

Good hunting,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote