SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-20, 08:17 PM   #571
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Well, my last day at work was yesterday. I sent my employer a letter making it official.

Quote:
I regret to inform you of my decision to conclude my employment with [company] and sincerely apologize for its abruptness and the burden it may have placed on others. I have been keeping tabs on SARS-CoV-2 since early January 2020. It has been said, unprecedented Herculean efforts and draconian measures are being taken by functioning governments to stave off the spread of the virus causing Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome of which there are no approved pharmaceutical treatments or vaccines. I have closely monitored the the European and U.S. Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and Johns Hopkins University dashboard for information. They all seem to agree the virus can still be contained “with the right measures”.

Having been employed over 24 years by United States Coast Guard. I've learned when the Federal government FINALLY gets around to making statements suggesting the spread in the U.S. is inevitable and offers recommendations, one should take heed. Of the several U.S. Center for Disease Control recommendations, one is to take the non-pharmaceutical measure of reducing social interaction. I do this not for myself, but for my family, particularly my wife who has two strikes against her already, namely her age and underlying health issues. I don't wish to sound like chicken little, I don't plan to barricade my house or start digging an underground bunker, nobody should think that way. The United States of America has the best medical professionals and facilities in the world. However I believe I would be remiss if I disregarded their recommendations.

Thank you for opportunity to serve you, our customers and improve myself these last 3-1/2 or so years and I eagerly look forward to working with you again in the near future.
Gonna be a beautiful and clear night tomorrow, think I will observe the stars and take some pictures of a nebula.

btw I just heard on CBS news they are sending a vaccine to China for human trials. Also, as far as the stock market goes its going to continue to drop in fact I think its a good thing. Don't fret or be a weak hand because of it, just be patient and look for opportunity because it will without a doubt go back up.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-28-20 at 08:31 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-20, 10:51 PM   #572
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Nourielle Roubini expects global stock values to drop by 30-40% this year. Seems I am in good company with my estimation two days ago of minus -1/4 or -1/3 or -1/2 by the end of this year.

Dow Jones lost over 10%.

5 trillion in company value has been elimiated this week. You could buy the thirty DAX-listed corporations three times with that money.

A German-market so-called "fear indicator", the so-called VDax stock indicator, has exploded by thirty percent on Friday alone, it has climbed by a factor of three over the whole week. The higher it is, the worse the fear. Its dramatic.

I expect it to become even more of a massacre.
No, the sell off is over. How do I know? Well, I'm watching Olin dropping and when it got to $15.05 I put in a limit order at $14.85.

Naturally the market reversed direction and now Olin closed at $16.19.

So see? If the market continues its slump Monday I'll get what I want, cheap Olin stock. And the universe will not allow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Well, my last day at work was yesterday. I sent my employer a letter making it official.

Gonna be a beautiful and clear night tomorrow, think I will observe the stars and take some pictures of a nebula.
Enjoy the time off!
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-20, 11:10 PM   #573
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well I'm simply going to take my chances. I work in hospitals with only indirect patient contact but it's my duty even though I'm close to retirement. People here are talking about shopping carts but it's nearly impossible to isolate yourself. Gas pumps, ATM's, etc.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-20, 11:52 PM   #574
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

When I arrived at one of our local drugstores this morning (I'm located in Japan), there were approximately 200 shoppers waiting in a long line outside before it opened.

124 health workers at one US hospital have been forced to self-quarantine after possible coronavirus exposure.
Quote:
A woman is currently being treated at the University of California Davis Medical Center for confirmed case of COVID-19. The patient didn't have any relevant travel history or any exposure to another known patient.

A total of 124 health care workers -- including at least 36 nurses -- have been forced to self-quarantine after possible exposure to the coronavirus patient, the National Nurses United union announced Friday.

UC Davis student tested for coronavirus, two other roommates isolated.
Quote:
A University of California Davis student is being tested for coronavirus following potential exposure, Dr. Cindy Schorzman announced in a press call.

That person is being isolated at home, and two other students are being isolated off campus as well, Schorzman said.

All three are roommates at a UC Davis residence hall, according to Schorzman.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

Oregon’s first reported case appears to be ‘community-transmitted’.
Quote:
The U.S. state of Oregon reported its first case of novel coronavirus, public health officials announced. The individual, an adult who lives in Washington County, has no history of travel to a country where the virus is known to be circulating and is not believed to have had close contact with other confirmed cases. Officials “are considering it a likely community-transmitted case,” they said. Washington County lies just to the west of Portland, the state’s largest city.

Washington State reports two ‘presumptive positive’ cases.
Quote:
The U.S. state of Washington has classified two COVID-19 cases in the state as “presumptive positives,” including one case that appears travel-related and one whose origin is unknown. A woman in her 50s who lives in King County recently returned from South Korea. The second case, of a high school student from Snohomish County, is still being investigated. Both individuals are in home isolation, officials said.

Santa Clara County health officials confirm first probable 'community-transmitted' coronavirus case.
Quote:
The county said this case is different from the other two since the patient, an elderly woman, doesn’t have a travel history or any known contact with a traveler or infected person. “This new case indicates that there is evidence of community transmission but the extent is still not clear,” said Dr. Sara Cody, Health Officer for Santa Clara County and Director of the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department. “I understand this may be concerning to hear, but this is what we have been preparing for. Now we need to start taking additional actions to slow down the spread of the disease.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/coro...ina-hubei.html

And so it begins in the US, too. If you haven't already prepared, time is quickly running out before panic buying and shortages begin. Once the sheeple wake up, it'll be too late. And as the number of confirmed infected increases, so will the level of panic and desperation.

I can see the future news headlines now: 'Shopper shoots and kills another shopper at Walmart during fight over last remaining package of toilet paper.'

Last edited by Traveller; 02-29-20 at 01:44 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 06:54 AM   #575
Traveller
Captain

South Korea reports 813 new infected cases on Saturday. Largest daily increase so far.
Quote:
South Korea has reported another 219 coronavirus cases, bringing the country's total number of cases to 3,150.

That's another big jump, following an earlier announcement Saturday morning that authorities had recorded 594 new cases overnight.

Italian hospitals face an "overcrowding crisis".
Quote:
Hospitals battling Italy's growing coronavirus outbreak are facing a "crisis," according to health officials in the southern European nation.

Italy now has over 820 cases, making it one of the worst hit countries in the world. Lombardy, in northern Italy, has 531 confirmed cases and a death toll of 17, the region's health secretary Giulio Gallera said Friday.

And hospitals are struggling to cope.

"If the (coronavirus) keeps spreading, there will be a crisis of the hospitals, not only for those infected, but for all patients,” Gallera said.

For a true picture of just how serious this virus really is, just look at the numbers in South Korea and Italy. In my opinion, these are currently the only two countries testing enough to report fairly accurate numbers of known infected. Coming to your country soon.

Last edited by Traveller; 02-29-20 at 07:23 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 07:20 AM   #576
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Officials on the US West Coast have reported three unexplained coronavirus cases, raising concerns the virus could be spreading within the community.

The patients - in California, Oregon and Washington State - have no known connection to a badly hit country.

A total of 59 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the US, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Meanwhile South Korea, which has the highest number of cases outside China, mobilised the army on Saturday.

Soldiers are disinfecting large parts of Daegu, the south-eastern city that has been at the centre of the country's coronavirus outbreak.

On Friday South Korea reported a sharp rise in the number of cases of the Covid-19 disease. It now stands at 3,150. The respiratory illness has killed 17 people in the country so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51685908

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 09:44 AM   #577
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Just came back from weekend shopping in a large supermarket, Marktkauf. Noodles are out (I noticed that yesterday already in another Edeka shop, where rice and pasta was down to an estimated quarter of the quantities usually beign stored on shelves). Canned pasta sauce is out. Shelves holding canned food of any sort, are suspiciously thinned out, usally they look full, now a felt third of half of what you usually would see is missing. Toilet paper gets sold on palettes that empty quickly. Desinfectants and cleaning swipes are low in supply, or out.

100 ml Sterillium Virugard seen for 249 Euros on the web yesterday. Today the offer had gone void. Usually one litre of it costs aroiund 12 Euros over here. Factor thus is over 20.

Also saw many people carrying huge sacks of potatoes.

If the TV now would say that you could get infected with Corona virusses if getting bitten by a shark, the public tension probably would explode.
Old 02-29-20, 09:47 AM   #578
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Well I'm simply going to take my chances. I work in hospitals with only indirect patient contact but it's my duty even though I'm close to retirement. People here are talking about shopping carts but it's nearly impossible to isolate yourself. Gas pumps, ATM's, etc.
Certainly. Just carry good sanitizer and use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
When I arrived at one of our local drugstores this morning (I'm located in Japan), there were approximately 200 shoppers waiting in a long line outside before it opened.

124 health workers at one US hospital have been forced to self-quarantine after possible coronavirus exposure.
Thanks for the update, Joe. Japan, eh? Man, I would love some pictures from a Subsim member of the ques and general community activity. It's interesting to get that first hand perspective direct from one of our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Just came back from weekend shopping in a large supermarket, Marktkauf. Noodles are out (I noticed that yesterday already in another Edeka shop, where rice and pasta was down to an estimated quarter of the quantities usually beign stored on shelves). Canned pasta sauce is out. Shelves holding canned food of any sort, are suspiciously thinned out, usally they look full, now a felt third of half of what you usually would see is missing. Toilet paper gets sold on palettes that empty quickly. Desinfectants and cleaning swipes are low in supply, or out.

100 ml Sterillium Virugard seen for 249 Euros on the web yesterday. Today the offer had gone void. Usually one litre of it costs aroiund 12 Euros over here. Factor thus is over 20.

Also saw many people carrying huge sacks of potatoes.

If the TV now would say that you could get infected with Corona virusses if getting bitten by a shark, the public tension probably would explode.
Yeah, Trump would say it's time to quarantine sharks! But seriously, make sure you have what you need to avoid the shortage surges.
Old 02-29-20, 09:54 AM   #579
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

The good news: This does not seem to be dangerous to children.

Old 02-29-20, 10:00 AM   #580
STEED
Lucky Jack

Uploads: 48

Icon12

I wonder what sales would be like if this was still around.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 10:24 AM   #581
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yeah, Trump would say it's time to quarantine sharks! But seriously, make sure you have what you need to avoid the shortage surges.
Thanks, but dont worry, I have not hoped or waited for this, nor do i see the risk of this pandemic primarily in the health area, but in the economic area - nevertheless I am prepared for emergencies since longer time now and as I described before, and repeatedly: I can shut down, self-isolate myself and hold out for 2 month, if I rationise: even longer. But so far I have not acitvqated any of my reserves, nor do i plan to do so. Not for somethoignt hat most likely woudl pass on me like a mild form of seasonal flu - if I even would notice it. My main concern never was a biological threat, but a power blackout.

Well prepared over here - but far from getting hysterical!

If I am worried, then it is more about my parents, both are beyond 70 years, and if they catch it, it might not pass on them so easily as it does on many others - who knows. I got them gloves and special soap and respirator masks and desinfectants, but I doubt they would ever use them. Stubborness, your true name is age.
Old 02-29-20, 11:10 AM   #582
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post

Good to see you back Traveller. Be careful and stay healthy over there, sometimes panic is a far more dangerous enemy than the actual thing which causes it. If you need a place to quarantine yourself with plenty of food you can stay at my place.

Im not seeing long lines yet although noticing shelves at the local grocer looking a little more thin than usual. I started squirreling away food awhile back so Im good. Just finished up drying a truck load of fruit. Bought some more fish and beef to jerk yesterday. Just got to vacuum seal them and Im good to go.

FYI this is the dehydrator I'm using. Temperature range is up to 165F which is FDA recommended temp for meats. Timer can set for up to for 24 hours as well.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-29-20 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-29-20, 02:54 PM   #583
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Thank you for opportunity to serve you,
I hope you proof read and corrected.
Old 02-29-20, 03:07 PM   #584
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Yes I did multipule times butt Its hard todo using a cell pone parkd on side of road. I thought I did pretty good

Old 02-29-20, 03:17 PM   #585
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Yes I did multipule times butt Its hard todo using a cell pone parkd on side of road. I thought I did pretty good
I think you did fine. Just busting your chops.

I do wish you the best Mate. It's going to be a rough road ahead for many of us.
Heck, I have to travel the country and just found out I'm going to a very bad area. Taking my new body armour this time.
According to facts? I have a 1 in 26 chance of being a victim of crime there.
And that is based on living there. As I'll be in a Motel? That factor goes up as travelers are the most targeted victims!

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan