SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-09, 11:03 PM   #196
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

I don't get it .
SH4 and SH5 are 2 very different games in terms of gameplay (I hope ). Some might not even like it, just as it was with people going back to SH3 after trying SH4 (such as ME). Also, SH5 is almost one year away. As long as GWX4 comes out a few months untill then, what's the problem? Believe me, I'm as eager to play SH5 as I am to get my hands on GWX4. And in the meantime, I'm playing OM in full force. By the way did you guys do anything to the 2D interface yet? I'm close to completing my interface for Uboats, too bad I'm stuck with this 1.6 Ghz laptop for a month . Maybe that would save you some work
Old 08-21-09, 11:49 PM   #197
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21
GWX4 and GWX4 GOLD. GWX4 > SH4. GWX5 > SH5

Simply release GWX4 for SH4 UBM, sooner the better As quickly or early as possible
And after SH5 is released
Make Gold version with the SH5 subs + Tomi´s sub's + interiors etc.
P.S Now that there is SH5 tread, Why not start GWX5 tread.
Old 08-22-09, 04:06 AM   #198
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

I still play SH3 now thanks to Jæsens work and the GWX and others' work....even after I bought SH4. Even after Ops Monsoon and all the other excellent SH4 mods. But this hasn't stopped me playing SH3. I am not saying one game is better than the other (don't even want to start that discussion up). I play both games regularly. They have both their own merits and faults.

We havn't even seen SH5 yet.....just an entertaining trailer. Who says we won't be playing SH3 + 4 long after SH5 is out and modded?

Look what the Grey Wolves and other modders did for SH3. And what Lurker + many others did for SH4. THOSE GAMES DO NOT DIE just because a new one comes out.

Really looking forward to SH5, but still enjoying 3 + 4.

Would love to see a GWX4....whenever. You have also got lives to lead outside the game, as Jimbuna rightly points out. All I can say is I've enjoyed and appreciated your work. Good luck with whatever you all decide.
Old 08-22-09, 05:22 AM   #199
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Thank you jimbuna and JU for sharing your thoughts. I too was kind of wondering what is going to happen going forward with GWX4 and even pondered with Neal a bit about it today at Captain Zeb's memorial service.

However you guys decide to proceed is up to you, and I wish you all the best and sincerely hope that work on GWX4 does continue. If we have a GWX4 before SH5's release, that would be great. If it comes post-SH5, that's fine too.

Fingers crossed, fellas!
Hi mookie

I hope everything went well today at Captain Zeb's memorial service

On a lighter note.....I opened my messages at The Lair this morning and read one from a team member who obviously doesn't know you.

The message went along the lines of (with a link to your post above) "He appears to be understanding of our position".

I can't deny having a little chuckle to myself before replying "He's a big supporter and a cool guy *********, I met him in person at Neals house in Texas last October"

Unless you object I'll PM him a mug shot

To Jaesen et al

Thanks for your patience and understanding, it really is appreciated folks.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-22-09, 05:30 AM   #200
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
To Jaesen et al

Thanks for your patience and understanding, it really is appreciated folks.
Jimbuna, in case it's not clear, the time taken to complete GWX4 is not an issue to me. As you know, I have been a modder and thus am fully cognisant of the real life obligations and challenges that modders face. Whether it takes 2 months, 6, 12, 24 or whatever to develop GWX4 is not important to me and not something I would criticise or question. To this end, I hope you didn't miss my earlier comment: "I don't think any criticism can be levelled at the GWX team for timing".

My initial post was simply to provoke the GWX4 team to advise followers on what it intends to do with SH4/GWX4 now that SH5 has been made official, as getting unsolicited meaningful updates on GWX4 are akin to trying to push water up a duck's arse with a brick. My post had the desired effect. As far as I am concerned, the issue is now closed and I trust you to keep us updated on what is an important decision that now goes well beyond just the future of GWX4 (ie any decision on GWX4 will now impact on any potential GWX5, which obviously some respondants here are failing to grasp).

Now bugger off and enjoy your pending Ashes victory.

Last edited by JScones; 08-22-09 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 08:32 AM   #201
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks Jim for the clear and open message. It is refreshing to hear such openess and honesty.

I fall into that group of people that has SH4 gathering dust on the shelf. I was excited by the U-Boat Missions update but decided not to buy it based on feedback in these forums.

When GWX announced it was going to work on a SH4 + Uboats ATO Mod I decided that I finally buy the U-Boat Missions update when GWX 4 was finished.

Of course, the announcment of SH5 has effectively thrown a grenade into all that.

I do believe that developing a mod in an open environment, with regular updates etc, whets the appetite. It also allows the commuity to exchange knowledge and build upon the work of others. Consider this as the Open Source approach to modding.

Developing a mod behind closed doors, as adopted by GWX, smacks of old school corporate software development.

I imagine more people would have taken up an SH4 interest + U-Boat missions if GWX 4 got them drooling at the mouth, consequently supporting UBI and, according to some, the sub sim community as a whole.

I believe it is now time for GWX to realise that this closed shop approach to modding is not really the best way to support the subsim community.

You say that RL issues have had an effect on GWX4 development schedule. I wonder if this could have been avoided by a more open approach. How else can someone else take up the reigns when RL intervenes if they have been left in the dark ? So even the GWX team itself would benefit from a more open approach, as will the subsim community and possibly the sales figures of UBI.

Right, now lets put all that aside. My oppinion is GWX should continue developing GWX4, but only those parts that are likely to be portable to SH5.

Old 08-22-09, 09:10 AM   #202
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21
I agree with Uber Gruber. but not with last sentence.
"My opinion is GWX should continue developing GWX4, but only those parts that are likely to be portable to SH5"
instead continue developing GWX4, but only those parts that you think are not in SH5,
and after SH5 is released, port Sh5 parts to GWX4 GOLD version.
Old 08-23-09, 11:33 PM   #203
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

To all who have fielded support for our team and project on this thread, thank you.

You have not been forgotten...

Personally speaking, time has been my enemy like never before, for long months now... (what I refer to is lack of spare time) so I can only be brief here and now... There is so much I would like to say.

I can only assure you that there are very good reasons for ALL the things we do... and though sometimes 'you-the reader' may not understand... and may subsequently make negative assumptions... sometimes that is well worth the price, to preserve a methodology that has proven to work for us time and time again. (Not being snarky here... but accusations that we are in any way 'anti-community' simply don't bother me in the slightest... In fact, the idea makes me laugh a little.)

Whether we succeed or fail... I will post the outcome to you. You will not be left wondering what happened to GWX4 in years to come. I've got the chops to tell you the truth be it good or bad. Naturally, fielding an explaination of failure would make me uncomfortable... but it would also be a release in many ways... not just for me... but for anyone waiting and hoping. Nor would I leave it to Jimbuna to scuttle the ship while I jump out!

JScones has asked some valid questions and Jimbuna has responded accurately. I hope to add my own take to the mix here by this coming Sunday night (US Central Standard Time)

Other personal notes:

@Adriatico... quite the contrary mate. I actually enjoy your posts... and I think we actually share the same dark sense of humor. I don't hold a single bad thought for you.

@Uber Gruber... Every time I respond to one of your negative posts... you do your best to make me out to be rather paranoid... so in short, my response to you now is, "Stick it up your... NOSE!!!" Now I've kept up my reputation for being... ummm... 'direct'. Open modding invites a cast of thousands, promotes 'fog' and pandemonium.

"Developing a mod behind closed doors, as adopted by GWX, smacks of old school corporate software development."

Whatever man, we just needed a quiet place to work away from all the distractions here. That's not being elitist... it just works... and gives our developers a place to screw-up on occasion without being under the microscope of public criticism and ridicule. From the 'management stand-point... I'd rather lead a swift and sharp team, than an amorphous-gaggle any day. (Really and truly... I am not trying to be condescending... its just good common sense. If you had a fair idea of just how much communication is required via email, PM, private and public forum posts, teamspeak, and cell-phone texts/calls... you'd understand what I mean. Leading a project to a focused and successful release via mass public involvement... is SOOOO not the way to produce something lasting and meaningful IMHO.)

Crimeny! The community has always received the functional data we've built and/or modified as we've executed releases anyway... which nullifies what appears to be your chief complaint.

(Now, I think I'll triple my pay and give myself another bonus, award myself some medals, and have a few more Borg implants drilled into place. )

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 08-23-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 12:07 AM   #204
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

hooah Kpt. Lehmann!

i almost stood and clapped!

I appreciate all the GWX team has done for the community, giving us a realistic experience second to none in a game, and I will always continue to support and be awestruck by what the team has accomplished. I can only hope that they will continue to give us the same realism and excitement that they've given us over the past years.

GWX crew, I salute you!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 08-24-09, 01:52 AM   #205
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My morale support and respect for GWX team is irrespective of wether they will succeed finishing GWX4 or not. Don't you anyone forget that they have already done enourmous job with SH3 and brought it up to unimaginable level for what I again bow my head low. I can only pretend that I imagine what a hell of hard work is to be in charge of the team and for team members to carry responsability for given tasks.
I keep questioning myself how come they never run out of steam and keep pushing forward no matter what. After all they have put they paws on SH4 straight away after finishing with GWX3 with almost no rest.

Even if it would happen that production of GWX4 would stuck or would get aborted we are still having SH5 in our minds to cheer us up right ?

No matter how high or low in luck GWX will be I'll stay by your side GWX at least moraly

P.S. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst

Old 08-24-09, 08:31 PM   #206
dmlavan
Watch Officer

Downloads: 69

SH5 or GWX4?
For me, GWX brought me back to SH3 even after SH4 came out, and it kept me addicted to SH3. SH4 has better graphics than SH3, has a bit more features to the game, and much faster loading time (to be honest, THAT is the biggest advantage to me!). However, SH4 was designed for a larger and more mainstream audience, and I imagine that hundreds of thousands of people who bought it no longer play it.

GWX was made BY those who loved the game and the genre, FOR those who loved the game and the genre. SH4 was made for the average sim player, who wanted to see bigger explosions and better scenery. GWX was made for those who wanted more realism, those who were more concerned about the accuracy and detail instead of the eye candy (although GWX brought us plenty of that) - those who would notice, let alone care, if the minefields at Brest weren't accurate!

Despite the best wishes and intentions of the UBI Romania developers, SH5 will likely have to appeal to a much broader audience than those who frequent the SUBSIM and UBI forums, or it will not be successful. The GWX team has made their mods specifically for those who do frequent these forums, and I imagine many of us will be still playing - and enjoying - GWX3 and hopefully GWX4 long after SH5 comes out. And if he GWX team decides not to finish GWX4, I know that we will still enjoy the individual mods that many of them will likely create to make SH5 even better.
Old 08-24-09, 08:37 PM   #207
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Dmlavan, grats for the best comment I've seen in a long time . I hope you won't mind if I'll quote it from time to time.
Old 08-24-09, 10:07 PM   #208
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Hi mookie

I hope everything went well today at Captain Zeb's memorial service

On a lighter note.....I opened my messages at The Lair this morning and read one from a team member who obviously doesn't know you.

The message went along the lines of (with a link to your post above) "He appears to be understanding of our position".

I can't deny having a little chuckle to myself before replying "He's a big supporter and a cool guy *********, I met him in person at Neals house in Texas last October"

Unless you object I'll PM him a mug shot
Thanks for the kind words. And I haven't started charging royalties for my likeness....yet!

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 08-24-09, 10:46 PM   #209
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I like the way GWX do's things. I want to be surprised as I was with all GWX versions.

I install as instructions ( that are so easy to understand )

and follow gameplay instructions ( not adding mods while at sea ) and have NEVER had a CTD. EVER.

So don't change a thing. I want to be SURPRISED.

Gwx is the Sim. SH3 is the add-on

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
Old 08-24-09, 10:50 PM   #210
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

How Much ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
Closed Thread