Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-22, 12:56 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Very moving clips about to play piano. Piano music is still on my favorite list and I listen to it almost every day.
Well, I may be late but I am not foolish, I do not expect miracles happenign, after all, my father worked as a professional musician - I know from years of seeing his example that things take time, and are hard work at times. If you go for online courses like this, you better have a realistic idea of what they can help you with - and what not. You then must compare that to your personal goals and see whether something fits in your plan, or not.

If somebody aims at playing advanced classical piano from sheets, there is probably no way around personal tutoring.

In the end I want to have fun with hacking on the keys on a piano, and maybe doing so without being completely orientation- and clueless. Anything more would be just a bonus I do not really expect to materialise - but certainly would not reject.
Old 06-28-22, 01:24 PM   #17
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Well, I may be late but I am not foolish, I do not expect miracles happenign, after all, my father worked as a professional musician - I know from years of seeing his example that things take time, and are hard work at times. If you go for online courses like this, you better have a realistic idea of what they can help you with - and what not. You then must compare that to your personal goals and see whether something fits in your plan, or not.

If somebody aims at playing advanced classical piano from sheets, there is probably no way around personal tutoring.

In the end I want to have fun with hacking on the keys on a piano, and maybe doing so without being completely orientation- and clueless. Anything more would be just a bonus I do not really expect to materialise - but certainly would not reject.
I will say you have right called " goal or maybe focus to improve your personal skill since your father is a professional man in music art. If anyone have a right line to carry on it's good ya learn all the way so long ya like it ya will find something wonderful. Myself grow up with none music art in our family, but my dad's mother was a real good painting...so I desire more to follow her step...even if I not make any paint...but I have always like piano music.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-22, 01:44 PM   #18
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I am also a visual learner - it's been a boon having Youtube to help with so many things now... once I only had to ask my dad or father in law

Good luck with it, Sky
Old 06-28-22, 01:50 PM   #19
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon12

Man beachte den Text ..
(Kitsch and cheesy, and bad times, but ...)

No seriously, this is a great idea, wishing you luck (and patience)

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-22, 02:17 PM   #20
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Skybird, when you have learned how to master the piano-What kind of music will you play ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-22, 02:32 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Man beachte den Text ..
(Kitsch and cheesy, and bad times, but ...)

No seriously, this is a great idea, wishing you luck (and patience)

"Wer Klavier spielt hat Glück bei den Frau'n", eh...?! Damn, why has nobody told me earlier?
Old 06-28-22, 03:01 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Skybird, when you have learned how to master the piano-What kind of music will you play ?

Markus
Hehe, I think you underestimate the task. I will never "master" piano in the rest of my lifetime, I will always remain a student only - I started too late. If it goes well, then I hope to turn at least into a student who in reasonable time intervals indeed improves further and further, and maybe in a few years can do some slowly-played improvisations based on accords and arpagios: then I would consider my endavour already a big success! I do not want to hang to a repertoir of a dozen simple songs that I only can play and nothing else, that would be like like a computer course where grannie or grandpa learn how to print a callign card and thats it - that would be bporing, and pointless. Being able to just play half a dozen simpkle pieces and nothing else than these: thats for robots, but I want to go beyond at leats this this. Playing simple improvisations from my mind, and while doing so reliably finding the accords I wish to bring up. Slow, simple bar tunes, maybe, nothign complicated. The simple slow jazz piano that gives a humble background to the slow jazz singer on the stage. You get what I mean, yes? Nothing too complex, too difficult.

Also, simple melodic pieces that I sometimes have on mind, you know, that kind of tunes that suddenly come to your mind over the day, and you hum them for some minutes, and an hour later its gone away and forgotten. If I can translate that idea of a melody into a simple tune and reliably finding the right keys and accords, I would be very happy already. Because when I just hum and whistle, I am very good at improvising, its my thing, always has been. Now I need to translate it directly to the language of piano, not leaving it to humming and whistling. And for that I need to learn some technical and theoretical basics, and that will take time. Much time.

Another intermediate goal would be to be able to play simple, slow accords and melodies without needing to stare panically at the keys all the time. When i was a young boy and learned chess for the first and second time (I took three starts between the age of 4 and 10), I could not name the squares correctyl without looking up the coordinates at the board's rims. Today I just need a snapshot glimpse at the board, any square, and immediately "see" without any coordinates what field it is, just by the position of it within the context of the complete board, within a tenth of a second or so I see its E4, or G7. I hope with some years practice I can find the wanted notes on the right keys as intuitively, too. But that needs: drills, drills, drills. I have no illusion on that.

This - much younger - man took 7 (!) years with this course I picked. Hear what he has to say:

"I learned everything I play today from just 39 bucks."

The way is the goal. Starting this late in my life, it cannot be any more than this, evertyhing beyond that is a welcomed bonus, but not seriously expected in advance. Also, its to keep me occupied, my other interests , as I said, became faded, stale a bit. And maybe it helps against early brain degeneration, too!
I just seriously feel I should and must do and start something completely new, else I may turn mad in a couple of years.

The above may be possible in some years, who knows. Its not a given, but the piece is surprisingly simple in structure (I have the sheets), and so it might be in reach for me in some years. But the following piece will always be beyond my reach, forever, I have no doubt. But one can dream, can't you? The man gives the best cover of this piece I ever heard - maybe even better than Williams imself played it (with orchestra), very sensible, preicse and expressive. These two pieces are very dear to me, and sometimes they even give me wet eyes.

Its good to have idols and loves like this, may they be within reach or not. For they at least keep you yearning, and yearning is what keeps you trying.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-28-22 at 03:46 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 06:35 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Okay, the time for lazy excuses and talking instead of doing is over - let the drama begin!

I know I know, its not ideal a setup, but it will slightly improve with an according folding table and a special foldable piano seat, but for the time being, this must do. Space is an issue in my appartement, it was big enough for me so far, but for something of the size like this it was not meant to be, furniture-wise. The alternative would have been to let it be and not even try to get started. No alternative that is, in other words.

Comes time, comes better ideas. Must everything be perfect in life, or is it ever? Hardly.
Old 07-02-22, 06:39 AM   #24
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Soon we gonna hear some beautiful music in our music thread

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 11:44 AM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Hehe, I think you underestimate the task. I will never "master" piano in the rest of my lifetime, I will always remain a student only - I started too late. I But that needs: drills, drills, drills. I have no illusion on that.
The way is the goal. And maybe it helps against early brain degeneration, too!
I just seriously feel I should and must do and start something completely new, else I may turn mad in a couple of years.
but the piece is surprisingly simple in structure (I have the sheets), and so it might be in reach for me in some years.
U poor dolt! THINK BIG!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 03:09 PM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
U poor dolt! THINK BIG!

My first "real" piano hours today. I follow the course in one session, then took some time to play around with the many voices of the keyboard, and then practiced another session hour hitting simple chords, octaves, and training the "Fingersatz" for C Major scales up and down, both hands. Now my arm musclesles are ab it - "sore"... Oh, and I got the first simple Boogiewoogie rythm right, though not as fast as it should be.

The teacher of the course I opetdf for just hitds all my marks, this is one guy to follow for long time to come. I was lucky to find this. I just connect to the way he teaches things.

The keyboard is a technically marvel. It sounds terrificly real, can be tuned and influenced in so unbelievably many ways via blutooth app (as if it were a real piano), the keyboard action unbelievable. It feels like a grand piano, including the surface of the keys, the mechanical minor deaial from the escape, the weighted keys from low to high tones, and even the fact that the very high keys do not have dampening like in reality (the strings are so short that in a real piano there simply is no space left to install dampening cushions). Practically all e-pianos in this price class do not care for these details.

Its unbelievable that such quality and wonder can be had for so little money these days. I may not be competent to talk about keyboards, but still I alreayd would recommend this keyboard very much. Its the upgrade of an absolute bestseller, and that beststeller it is not without reason, it seems. Even the Blutooth connection with my tablet, sometimes criticized , was set up without much hazzle, I just followed the instruction to the last letter.

A beast is creeping circles around my house, its name is ambition.

Old 07-02-22, 08:51 PM   #27
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
You're going through a midlife crisis old boy, I'm surprised your parents haven't sat you down and told you this as well, you're supposed to know something about psychology so why haven't you diagnosed the symptoms yourself and come to that conclusion as well, or are you in denial about it?.
Yep, Well his country is Joe Biden's front line. And his psychology has went out the window.Common sense will always win when it comes to reality.But the Bird had a good run. And i like the Bird. Welcome back Sky.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 10:36 PM   #28
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorpet View Post
Yep, Well his country is Joe Biden's front line. And his psychology has went out the window.Common sense will always win when it comes to reality.But the Bird had a good run. And i like the Bird. Welcome back Sky.
That's a scary thought. I'd seriously be looking at a second residency in Paraguay if I was that close to Putin.

I was trying to play "Three Little Birds" on my ukulele last night. Boy I suck, even with a "uke buddy" to cheat with.

Last edited by em2nought; 07-02-22 at 10:39 PM. Reason: scary thought
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 01:10 PM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I wish you well Sky and for what it;s worth my late father was self-taught...something I could never quantify as a child.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 11:01 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

Life has changed dramatically over here, studying has re-structured my day dramatically. I assume its indicating somethign good that time is fleeting and hours are flying by. The installation still is the elephant in the rooom, but I love it, and I am VERY happy with the Roland e-piano model I have choosen, the key action is a stunner, allowing a hilarious wide range of dynamic and feeling so real. So, beside the fascination for the musical aspect and the learning, I am also fascinated by the pure technical aspects. The blutooth music and blutooth MIDI links are pure gold, via app I can unleash the full potential of the machine (not that I can make use of it...). ~370 different voices, including natural sounds like wind, water, leafs on a tree, thunder, but also helicopter, machines and engines, rifles and guns, laser cannons, laughing voices, wind blowings, as well as a full set of different percussions, different drum sets and a full jazz drums combo. I did not count too precisley, but around 280-300 of these 370 sounds are musical instruments, however. My mum this morning, and yesterday my neighbour (a hobby pianist) checked the keyboard, and fell flat on their faces, they say they cannot recognise a difference in how it feels. The Roland simulates a grand piano action, that has one or two details added that an upright furniture and wall piano does not have (escape, for example) Even these tiny, minor, easy-to-miss details are there in the Roland.

Exercising a lot, I can almost feel the neurons in my brain getting rewired by the hour, and I currently have a sign on my forehead that reads "temporarily closed due to construction work". I follow my material in one session per day, do finger exercises in another session, and a third session the day is repetition, and fooling around, trying first simple melodies, and first tries to get both hands in synch. Thats the difficult part, the hand synchronisation. And then the disbelief when at the end, unexpectedly, for one run it clicks and everything falls into the right place and you get the sequence right, as if it was playing itself, all by itself, without your will, easily! Good feeling, a flow-experience. I know that self-teaching like I do and internet assistance and epub media and all that has not only pros, but also cons, and that there are aspects in live tutorong that cannot be compensated for this way, but many of these are more relevant for goals that are not nescessarily my goals, and it also helps that I am aware of these differences, so that I can have nevertheless an eye on this. The material I follow also is aware of this and adresses many of these points all by itself.

Day three. I had a very good start, and apparently made only superb choices so far. Lucky start, better the lift-off could not have taken place! The star gate at Jupiter is still far away, but I am on my way into orbit arond Earth for a beginning. And then step by step, always step by step. I enjoy it, i have fun, and I make progress - I already can - slowly - read simple notes and follow them when playing, and do first, - slow but harmonic improvisations: simple jazzy chords with the left, simple, slow melodies one-note-per-time with the right hand. Thats definitely the direction I want to go at: slow jazzy improvisations, slow bar and cocktail jazz, groovy stuff.

Perfect start, all systems green lights, and I love it!