SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-08, 11:44 AM   #1
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Default Need help adding units

I'm willing to add as playable units certain versions of already playable platforms, specifically: The non-improved Los Angeles, the non-improved Akula and also Kilos from more nationalities (Iran, India) for the quick mission generator. As I understand it from what I have readed so far, that would be OK for SCS.

If someone knows what steps must be followed to add player controllable platforms, please contact me per PM, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Last edited by Hitman; 11-15-08 at 11:46 AM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 12:55 PM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I think all thats needed is some added entries in the DB, but dont ask me which ones ... Well I hope thats all, I dont think the versions of the playable units are hardcoded.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 07:25 AM   #3
Fleet Command CC
Engineer

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'm willing to add as playable units certain versions of already playable platforms, specifically: The non-improved Los Angeles, the non-improved Akula and also Kilos from more nationalities (Iran, India) for the quick mission generator. As I understand it from what I have readed so far, that would be OK for SCS.

If someone knows what steps must be followed to add player controllable platforms, please contact me per PM, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks
Hey Hitman,

Did you find out how to add new controllable platform?

ASrock 4Core1600P35-Wifi, Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz, 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 ATI CrossFire Edition, Sapphire 2600XT 256MB GDDR4 PCI-E, 500GB Sansumg SATAII HDD 16MB Cache, XP
Fleet Command CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:01 AM   #4
captcav
Loader

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet Command CC View Post
Hey Hitman,

Did you find out how to add new controllable platform?

You can't new playables, its forbidden and cannot be achieved.

Captcav
captcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 04:17 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Thanks
You would just edit the values of the ship/sub/aircraft that you want to convert into the "new" playable. Same for the values of its weapons, if they're different, because that's the only way to "change" the loadout.
Old 05-29-09, 05:07 AM   #6
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcav View Post
You can't new playables, its forbidden and cannot be achieved.

Captcav

S.C.S dosn't care anymore they even said so.
By the way Alfa Tau and RA beg to differ on the impossibility of adding new playables.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:41 AM   #7
captcav
Loader

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
S.C.S dosn't care anymore they even said so.
By the way Alfa Tau and RA beg to differ on the impossibility of adding new playables.
They don't care anymore? so one day they just woke and decided to take all restrictions away from making playable addons? i some how don't think that's the case.

RA don't have new platforms, they have the same platforms with different skins. The subs are the same and the surface vessels are the same, i play RA everyday, the Udaloy is a Perry Class Frigate with a different skin and a couple of new colours on the screen, but that's about it!

I've created a VLS weapons control along with firing sequences if someone in RA and i've been asking for a year can make a new platform, it's still to be proven to me it can be done!
captcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 08:10 AM   #8
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
They don't care anymore? so one day they just woke and decided to take all restrictions away from making playable addons? i some how don't think that's the case.
Well you haven't been reading all the discussion carried in the DW forum on subsim the last 6 months or so.

Quote:
RA don't have new platforms, they have the same platforms with different skins. The subs are the same and the surface vessels are the same, i play RA everyday, the Udaloy is a Perry Class Frigate with a different skin and a couple of new colours on the screen, but that's about it!
Just a difference in semantics. As far as playability is concerned we have new playables, just as was the case for SCU for sub command. They are new playables in the sense they use new stations, have specific weapons and performance.

Quote:
I've created a VLS weapons control along with firing sequences if someone in RA and i've been asking for a year can make a new platform, it's still to be proven to me it can be done!
Maybe nobody is interested in taking up your request. The RA and AT modders are very busy upgrading their mods. As it stands they still have a lot of work to do, they are adding new things every day and YOU whine because nobody cares about your pet project ?
Man if you are so desperate develop your own mod.

Take a look at the virginia fire control, or the oscar 2 fire control station in RA. That seems like fire control stations not based on those of the default 688 or akula 2. The lada has a new waterfall broadband and narrowband sonar*. Same for the akula 2*. How about the frigate with its completely overhauled control of the helo's ?

* will be available in the final version of RA.
Old 05-29-09, 03:04 PM   #9
Fleet Command CC
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
You would just edit the values of the ship/sub/aircraft that you want to convert into the "new" playable. Same for the values of its weapons, if they're different, because that's the only way to "change" the loadout.
Hello Molon Labe,

I've done some playing around with the db files this week with not much luck, would you give me some ideas on what I need to edit to convert a ship into a playable unit please.

I would greatly appreciated thanks.

ASrock 4Core1600P35-Wifi, Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz, 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 ATI CrossFire Edition, Sapphire 2600XT 256MB GDDR4 PCI-E, 500GB Sansumg SATAII HDD 16MB Cache, XP
Old 05-29-09, 03:19 PM   #10
Fleet Command CC
Engineer

Quote:
Hey captcav,

The Udaloy is a completely different model to the Perry Class Frigate, I know this because I've convert the .J3D file into a .3ds file and import the model into 3ds Studio Max.

Old 05-29-09, 04:14 PM   #11
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Hello Molon Labe,

I've done some playing around with the db files this week with not much luck, would you give me some ideas on what I need to edit to convert a ship into a playable unit please.

I would greatly appreciated thanks.
You can't convert a ship into a playable. You have to convert a playable into another playable. So if you wanted a 688 Flt I, you would edit the "LA Improved SSN" values to be that of the "LA SSN" and then change the names of the ships in that class. And probably remove all the VLS tubes, but that might cause a crash, so back up before you try that.
Old 05-29-09, 09:57 PM   #12
Fleet Command CC
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
You can't convert a ship into a playable. You have to convert a playable into another playable. So if you wanted a 688 Flt I, you would edit the "LA Improved SSN" values to be that of the "LA SSN" and then change the names of the ships in that class. And probably remove all the VLS tubes, but that might cause a crash, so back up before you try that.
Molon Labe,

Thank you Sir, I will have to give this a try, can I ask did the RA team did their Mod in this way?

Old 05-29-09, 10:02 PM   #13
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Molon Labe,

Thank you Sir, I will have to give this a try, can I ask did the RA team did their Mod in this way?

No, the way Molon Labe describes is to give up one playable for another.
So you can't increase the number of playable units in the game, the number of playable units is equal to the number of default units.
Obviously Alfa Tau and RA have some 30 playable units each (including the default units).
Old 05-29-09, 10:06 PM   #14
Fleet Command CC
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
No, the way Molon Labe describes is to give up one playable for another.
So you can't increase the number of playable units in the game, the number of playable units is equal to the number of default units.
Obviously Alfa Tau and RA have some 30 playable units each (including the default units).
goldorak

Oh right, so how did the Alfa Tau and RA teams get up to 30 playable units then?

Old 05-29-09, 10:38 PM   #15
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
goldorak

Oh right, so how did the Alfa Tau and RA teams get up to 30 playable units then?
I don't know.
You should ask them this question.