SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-21, 05:36 PM   #46
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
FWIW, I cant find it hosted here on SUBSIM.
Can't find what? LSH? I think he has it stored on his own site. He's never asked to store it here or we would gladly.
Old 01-03-21, 05:40 PM   #47
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Can't find what? LSH? I think he has it stored on his own site. He's never asked to store it here or we would gladly.
AH, that's what I thought the whole stink was about.

If it's not being hosted here, then why the tears.

I must have missed something.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 01-04-21 at 03:30 AM.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 06:31 PM   #48
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Excellent, thanks. The mod should not install a copy of the full game if there was no game present. Does that makes sense?
With that, it shouldn't, I would think. With V15 or LSH3-2015, there was no problem, that I recall of...

Can't help but think, with LSH3-2020 being released, if there wasn't a slip up of the .exe being inadvertently left in the installer... before it was zipped up & shoved out the door.

I have a 2 HD set up on this tired ol' rig. It's a Dell Optiplex 980, majority of it with what came in it when it left the factory... the only change I know of, is My adding in a nVidia GForce GT 720 graphics card.

I have the main copies of SH3, stored away on the 2nd HD & it includes any & all game launchers in addition to My mods repository covering from SH3 to SH5.

When I set up v15, I took a copy of SH3 from it & installed that into the main drive, which houses the opsys which is now, Win 10.

I created a complete folder, stepped away from either Program files or Program files (x86), named 'Games'. It is in this folder that I have the launchers games library located, as well as any other games for that matter.

I set up for v15 to be added to SH3 by dropping that unmodded copy of SH3 into the following:

C:\\Games\SH3\LSH3-2015

After doing that, I then ran the installer... with none of the issues that 2020 has had, up to this point.

So... shrugs

M. M.

Old 01-03-21, 07:04 PM   #49
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Can confirm, from a new PC with NO installs of SH3....

This mod WILL install a modded, but fully functioning copy of SH3.

It will search for an existing SH3.exe, and if it can't find one will error out...... a few times. But creating a new empty folder named "silent huinter 3" will cause it to think that a previous install is there, even if there isn't, and proceed do a full, complete install.

Game boots up,
Museum boots,
Exams run fine,
Career appears to run fine.

As Priva...... errr, Jeff suggests, the installer needs work to prevent outright piracy.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 01-04-21 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 07:35 PM   #50
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Could it also be possible that LSH3-2015 also contains a cracked SH3?

This is a massive disappointment that I am gonna express in a positive and productive tone and not what I truly want to say.

Firstly, I see no changes from the LSH3-2015 screenshots in the current LSH3-2020. The lack of a changelog- which is, in my opinion, a totally unacceptable thing for a mod team so accomplished and experienced as the LSH team- also makes me question if this should even be called "LSH3-2020", since I see no changes from LSH3-2015.

Secondly, the accusation of LSH3-2020 having pirated SH3 and there is proof of this being true makes me question the integrity and true intent of the modders, whether the piracy was intentional or not. Have we been deceived since the annocunemt of LSH3-2015? Has LSH3-2015 also pirated SH3 and we did not detect it? If the latter is true, that would say that the piracy of SH3 in LSH3-2020 is intentional.

I'm watching this thread with great interest.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!

Last edited by Texas Red; 01-03-21 at 07:46 PM.
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 07:51 PM   #51
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

I assumed that it's a cracked .exe, but could be a later version without DRM. (Jeffs posts indicate to me that it's a modded cracked .exe)

Not that I have a problem with that. After all, UBI themselves recommended using a cracked exe to bypass Starforce back in the day.

But to supply the whole game along with it, seems to be an oversight.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 01-04-21 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 09:51 AM   #52
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yes, that's what I am thinking, the installer does say that SH3 must exist on the PC before it will install, it just does not seem to do a good job at verifying that. I've sent a PM to Urmel asking for help.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 05:54 PM   #53
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I have offered my help. Even installed Skype and attempted contact.
Sent my personal E-mail address and other then a quick reply to ask to install Skype?
Nothing so far.

I can post a video of how to install with NO SH3 install if need be.
Granted they do not Host at SubSim? It still violates rules about Pirate Software links I believe?

"SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy.
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account and permanent ban. We do not care what you do on your computer in your home, but do not discuss it here.Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.

Discussion of torrents is also not allowed on this site. Please don't post links to torrents in our forum.

Abandonware: games that are 8~10+ years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question."

A better way would be to COPY the base folder from a LEGAL install and then add the other files.
Today, our systems can do that in a heart beat.

GWX 3 considered that approach in 2008 but systems were way slower and had less HD space back then so it was not done even though tested.

I am NOT out to prevent the LSH from doing their work.
It's my intent to see any Modder succeed!

I am not questioning their integrity. I'm questioning their choice of installation.
I see no reason that one needs to send a complete version of SH3 on an install of a mod!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-04-21 at 06:42 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 07:40 PM   #54
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I've renamed this thread to a less inflammatory choice of words. I appreciate the OP bringing attention to this and the LSH team are working to improve this process.
Old 01-04-21, 07:43 PM   #55
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Very Wise decision Neal.

I Am here to assist the LSH Team should they ask me to do so.
Old 01-05-21, 10:43 AM   #56
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Default valid license

Me I think we must stop the controversy ... with that Urmel was very explicit I think in the pdf installed
To install the free supermod "LSH3-Edition-2020", a valid license from Ubisoft© for the original game
"Silent Hunter III ©" is mandatory!
The LSH3 team distances itself explicitly from illegally acquired game licenses and/or pirated copies!
Maybe Urmel plays the silent hunter because he was explicit enough ...
Now I do not support piracy but most of the players here we have already bought the game 1 or more times ... whether its Sh 2,3,4,5..as I already said Ubi lived well with that .... now we have to let the modders do what they didn't want to do ... there was a time when he was happy to find us the PC players ... now the console is Wall Street is better .... I said an effort should be made on their part for Sh3 because I do not see where the problem is, it still sells good that said.
I wish Happy New Year to "Taulier" Onkel Neal and to you Jeff-Groves thank you for the work here..
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 11:28 AM   #57
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

First, I want to thank you all for your patience.

It's the age-old dilemma, how to handle the copyright and IP rights of an old game that the parent company probably forgot they owned.

I want to emphasize: the SUBSIM rules were created by me, I do not pretend they were brought here by Moses. The SUBSIM rules are there to discourage people from pirating games and hurting the game developers and producers. Thankfully, most players agree: pirating submarine games is unfair and wrong.

That said, when a game is considered "abandonware" by most people, when a game is 10+ years old and no longer being sold, then it's more of a gray area.

SH3 is actually "sold" on Ubisoft and Steam, albeit for a mere $2.49.

As several people have pointed out, there are numerous places online where one can get a copy of SH3 free, as usual, all one must do is Google it.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Google is not losing sleep over links to these sites showing up on their website.

What is the best solution? I would argue that having the installer check for any version of sh3.exe before proceeding is the best solution and the most admirable one. If it can be done.

Neal
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 03:19 PM   #58
ThePrody
not dead yet

Uploads: 1

I know there are legal platforms like OCTGN or VASSAL that we can use to play digital version of board games and they are saying " hey, you need to own a physical version of the game, this is just something to make it easier for you if you want to play the game without setting up de physical game, we're not selling this to you, it's free, it's your responsibility if you're using it without owning the game"
I dont see why this is different, they are saying we need to own a legal copy of sh3 and they are not selling the supermod, it's just something fan-made , it's our responsibility to legally own the game in the first place.
If the Gestapo knocks at my door and asks if i own that game that i play on my computer , i need to prove that i own a legal copy of sh3 (i'll show them that it's in my Steam library), it doesnt matter what supermod i'm playing at that moment , at least that's how i see it .
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 05:51 PM   #59
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

That is a reasonable point of view.
Old 01-06-21, 10:46 AM   #60
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Hello Subsim people ^^

Just wanted to drop by and say hi to my friends.

Take it easy. I haven't worked @ Ubi or Silent Hunter for a while, and almost no one of the old SH teams still works there. I doubt anyone reads Subsim or cares there (sadly).

Most of you have probably bought SH3 a few times on various platforms, so the question is whether a new person that just gets in the hobby and learns about LSH would find out he doesn't actually need the game installed/purchased? Well, at that point he could also really download a cracked SH3 anyway so ...

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote