SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-07, 05:03 AM   #31
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Yes, I know, but just scroll up the page.
His last message about this work is from 04/26, and I think Rubini told us he gave up the idea of the 16 stay alert crew mod before... So I think this mod is still a WIP (IMHO )... Anyway, let's wait for Rub' himself to tell us some words about this mod.
Old 05-04-07, 06:30 AM   #32
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

what i dont understand though is kaleun cook's post above where he says the mod is working great. dunno whats happened since then
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 08:08 AM   #33
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi mates,

Excuse me for the long absence. Busy RL last days!
What is going on is that some guys are testing a GWX 16km Stay Alert crew mod. The feedback is coming very slowly, the main motive, I guess, is that you need to play a lot to really notice the changes of the mod.

In the first moment I was dropped the idea. But after a more close look I tried at least some adjusts. The result is not so good as the 8km version but is better than stock /GWX 16km. At least your crew will always (90% or more ) see the enemy before (expetion for small ships and small planes in some fog conditions - what is ok).

Also the crew spot distance is now very more close to the player one.

The draw back is that we have a bit more vampire night vision, but I can assure you: only a bit.

So, when I have enough feedback I will release the mod.

Thanks mates!

If somebody more want to test it (can be enabled middle patrol and you will just play the game) let me know.

Rubini.
Old 05-04-07, 09:28 AM   #34
Alex
Dominant Wolf

:hmm:

I am a volunteer

I will be glad to test it (as soon as I can find my way out of Gibraltar after having sunk 4 ships).

I still have a question though : does this mod completely replace the GWX 16km visibility mod files ?
Old 05-04-07, 11:17 AM   #35
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Rubini,

Still testing the 16k, its been slow going due to RL time commitments and the need to sleep at night. I have not run into any "negative" areas but again not enough hours, in this career.

Thanks again!

Wilcke
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 05:50 PM   #36
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
:hmm:

I am a volunteer

I will be glad to test it (as soon as I can find my way out of Gibraltar after having sunk 4 ships).

I still have a question though : does this mod completely replace the GWX 16km visibility mod files ?
Thanks! You have a PM!
And you need the GWX 16km optional mod installed first.
Old 05-04-07, 05:58 PM   #37
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke
Rubini,

Still testing the 16k, its been slow going due to RL time commitments and the need to sleep at night. I have not run into any "negative" areas but again not enough hours, in this career.

Thanks again!

Wilcke
Thanks mate!
Looking forward for more feedbacks!
Old 05-04-07, 08:38 PM   #38
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

I don't mind testing it, if it's not too late.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:42 PM   #39
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner
I don't mind testing it, if it's not too late.
You have a PM!
Old 05-07-07, 11:24 AM   #40
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quick update on the 16k mod, Type VII, West of the Iberian Peninsula, I chased down a map contact reported by Bdu, and was able to get a hydrophone contact!

The weather was absolute rubbish, viz down to 300-400 meters. We surfaced to do the end run and setup for a 90 degree AOB shot at 500 meters. In the heavy seas I almost ran into the merchant ship.

Everything worked smoothly, the WO was able to see the contact out to 400 meters and then when it went into the gloom no more "contact".

Since I had a good contact course and speed I was able to do a quick turn sprint along his course about 1000 meters turn 90 degree and put two eels into her....she kept going for about 10 minutes, stopped, 5 minutes later explosions and down she went.

Subjectively, I liked what I saw and heard with this 16k mod. Hope this helps Rubini, again thanks for all the hard work.

I am only able to get about one or two sessions a week in SHIII due to RL constraints. But so far so good!

Wilcke

Last edited by Wilcke; 05-07-07 at 11:53 AM.
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 03:52 PM   #41
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Same thing for me, 3 words : everything works ok.

One of the best improvements I've ever seen on this game. Thank you very much, Rubini !
Old 05-09-07, 01:49 AM   #42
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:

One of the best improvements I've ever seen on this game. Thank you very much, Rubini !
Maybe time for release?

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:11 AM   #43
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
The draw back is that we have a bit more vampire night vision, but I can assure you: only a bit.
Actually I think something *could* be done about that but going a very different route. AFAIK the ships are rendered also at long distance by night, but the darker environment (graphics-wise) prevents the player from seeing them before the crew actually does. So why not tweak a bit with night lightning until the player can see the ships at the same distance as the crew? :hmm: I found several times that my crew spotted a ship by night before I did, but before crying "vampires!" I gave it a second thought and raised the light setting in my monitor...and bingo....there she was, fully visible!

Wonder how many people actually think about vampire vision (Well admitingly there IS vampire vision, but you should many times be as vampire as them with correct night light) when compared to the player, while it might be a matter of light correction:hmm:
Old 05-09-07, 10:38 AM   #44
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund
Quote:

Maybe time for release?

Mikael
Yes...probably tomorrow!
Old 05-09-07, 10:44 AM   #45
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
Actually I think something *could* be done about that but going a very different route. AFAIK the ships are rendered also at long distance by night, but the darker environment (graphics-wise) prevents the player from seeing them before the crew actually does. So why not tweak a bit with night lightning until the player can see the ships at the same distance as the crew? :hmm: I found several times that my crew spotted a ship by night before I did, but before crying "vampires!" I gave it a second thought and raised the light setting in my monitor...and bingo....there she was, fully visible!

Wonder how many people actually think about vampire vision (Well admitingly there IS vampire vision, but you should many times be as vampire as them with correct night light) when compared to the player, while it might be a matter of light correction:hmm:
Hitman,
The problem in messing with the light factor on Sensors.cfg is that we will get less vampire night vision, this is right...but then we will start to have blind crew at early morning and late afternoon...Sh3 uses probably the sun angle to calculate the sensibility for light factor. It´s really not easy to adjust all this. But I already fine tuning this issue to the best possible (that i could) in the mod!