Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-21, 08:43 AM   #406
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
precisely. Unless your a 800-1200 yd. target shooter with reloading mania as I am with the .45-70 in Shiloh Sharps carbine or original 1876 Trapdoor Springfield (infantry), stick with the .308. It has a greater variety of projectile weights(as yet) and is rated at 5000 rounds to the gun barrel's life expectancy whereas the 6.5 mm is half as many rounds for the barrel life: 2500...on a costly $2,000+ Creedmore rifle?? Costs are an issue for any shooter and buying new guns for an already ample arsenal at my age is not worth it. The 6.5 is only slightly more accurate with slightly less shoulder recoil. Both rounds will get the job done for hunting anything in North America at more typical ranges under 500 yards. The Field and Stream side-by-side comparison article I read B4 posting this blog had an Hornady advertising tone in favor of the 6.5mm over the tried and true .308; hence my skepticism.
Yeah, that is right, costs are a consideration. So, under 500 yds, not a lot of difference? I have never shot anything that far away, I would need a lot of practice, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yeah especially handy in those flat Texas prairies where long shots are pretty much the order of the day.
Down here the wild pigs spend half their time in or near wooded areas. Thanks for the F&S article, so the Creedmore is really better at LR accuracy? And from the ballistics, carries more energy over 600 yds.

However, I honestly don't know about hitting anything over 300yds except at a range with a rest. I've never even tried to shoot something that far away! My range is set up for 150yds, I guess I need to mark off a 400yd spot and start practicing.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-22-21 at 09:11 AM. Reason: it's not "creemore"
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 08:51 AM   #407
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yeah, that is right, costs are a consideration. So, under 500 yds, not a lot of difference? I have never shot anything that far away, I would need a lot of practice, that's for sure.

Down here the wild pigs spend half their time in or near wooded areas. Thanks for the F&S article, so the Creedmore is really better at LR accuracy? And from the ballistics, carries more energy over 600 yds.

However, I honestly don't know about hitting anything over 300yds except at a range with a rest. I've never even tried to shoot something that far away! My range is set up for 150yds, I guess I need to mark off a 400yd spot and start practicing.
^^^
This.

Most places, you're taking out gophers or prairie dogs at maybe 100 or so meters. Coyotes or boars maybe even closer.

And if you're deer hunting, it's usually fairly wooded in a lot of places, so it's more about not being seen/heard rather than a 1000m shot over a flat terrain.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 09:00 AM   #408
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yes, and my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, so I am limited by that. We would need to add scopes to the equation to have a chance of hitting a pig at 400+ yds.

But I think August and these guys did answer my question, the creedmore has an edge in LR accuracy and ballistics. Very interesting, I'll have to consider that along with the other factors, including ammo availability.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-22-21 at 09:12 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 07:40 PM   #409
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Yes, and my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, so I am limited by that. We would need to add scopes to the equation to have a chance of hitting a pig at 400+ yds.

But I think August and these guys did answer my question, the creedmore has an edge in LR accuracy and ballistics. Very interesting, I'll have to consider that along with the other factors, including ammo availability.
i Have a friend that hunts with creedmore for hogs in oklahoma swears by creedmore also if you go scope you don't want to go cheap on scopes or mounts last i heard from the ammo makers going be another year before ammo goes back to normal also here a little hint if you watch Sergeant York where he wets down the sight to cut the haze that really does work in real life

Last edited by les green01; 02-22-21 at 08:04 PM.
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 10:32 AM   #410
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, not buying any ammo for a while. Best price I can find is around $1 a round.
Old 02-23-21, 11:07 AM   #411
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool @ Neal: Remember the Alamo, and keep yer TP dry!

Quote:
Yeah, not buying any ammo for a while. Best price I can find is around $1 a round.
That can be a major consideration in this pandemic trauma time BBY!...for serious shooters that is. Even at Cosco it's about a buck a roll!!??...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-23-21 at 04:21 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 10:32 AM   #412
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

really what is sad in december i was looking for another blackpower rifle even the kits they was even all sold out
Old 02-24-21, 11:00 AM   #413
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^Same here; that's why I switched to TP! My brother in law had driven cross country in his tour bus a few months back with a new Llama auto pistol and was unable to buy .9mm for it anywhere along I-80 from Virginia to California. I traded him a box of my Berretta service weapon's .9mm for a delicious box of cookies and a little electrical work around the house!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 11:42 AM   #414
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

good thing i got the bows i wouldnt mind everyone buying guns if they will stand the lines against the feds right now i got prenty of 45 and 50 cal balls 4 jugs of power 4 things of nipples for the handguns prenty of flints for the rifle
Old 02-24-21, 05:28 PM   #415
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Well, I think I made it through my gun lust phase for the year. I can hold off, going to rejigger the budget for a new tile kitchen floor since the ice maker has been leaking beneath the wood flooring, causing it to warp.
Old 02-24-21, 06:49 PM   #416
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Well, I think I made it through my gun lust phase for the year. I can hold off, going to rejigger the budget for a new tile kitchen floor since the ice maker has been leaking beneath the wood flooring, causing it to warp.
that sucks bad house lol i'm getting ready to bid on a 1944 Garand to help students with their tuition here a link if it ok to post if you guys like to get in the action https://one.bidpal.net/cca2021/browse/all
Old 05-07-21, 04:10 PM   #417
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Bought this last month for the wife, So I get to spend Mothers Day at the range.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 09:28 PM   #418
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Sweet.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 04:36 PM   #419
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Just bought a colt government 1911. Im looking forward to giving her a workout on Sunday.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 11:40 PM   #420
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Happy to see this thread still going

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles