SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-21, 05:25 PM   #1
madkiwi
Seaman

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Install from DVD or Steam?

I have not played SH 3 in a while, just purchased a new PC that has Windows 10 on it and trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

I have the old DVD, I am going to have to use a plug in DVD to install as no DVD is installed on the new machine.

But Steam has it on sale for $2.49...

Which way is going to be simplest? I like the idea of having my own install not related to my Steam account. I have the 1.4 patch already downloaded (from June 25th 2005)!

Does the Steam version run on Windows 10 without jumping through hoops or is it pretty much going to need as much fiddling as the DVD version?

Thanks!
madkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 10:01 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

madkiwi! after a 9 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:54 PM   #3
madkiwi
Seaman

It might be another 9 year hiatus!

I installed from my DVD, applied the 1.4b patch, then did the Star Force removal.

I then tried running the game. Got the Ubisoft title screen, then the movie clip then the Silent Hunter title screen with the load progress bar. Plus all the music. Gets to the end of the bar, the screen goes black... desktop.

Did the 4GB patch. Tried starting in every compatibility mode. Changed my resolution to 1024x768. Nothing is working. Crashes to desktop at the end of the game loading screen.

System is an Intel i7-10700F with 16GB of ram, Nvidia RTX 2060. Obviously Windows 10...

I could use a hand on this...
Old 01-04-21, 02:26 AM   #4
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi madkiwi SH3 install if you installed it in program files x86 that could be the problem best to install outside program files x86 make a Folder on drive C:/ called Games and install SH3 in that folder or copy n paste your original install into that folder and see if it runs

let me know how you get on sir

you have a PM Sir

Regards blackswan40

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-04-21 at 03:51 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 06:21 AM   #5
Seth Buttercrump
Watch

Downloads: 5

The Steam version is cheap enough (I have the original dvd somewhere but spent another £4.49 for their version) and the handy thing is you can delete it and download as many times as you like if modding goes horribly wrong

I am currently running the Steam version in 64bit Windows 10, with GWX 3.0 and a couple of other mods. I have had CTD issues but the 'large address aware' trick that someone suggested has eliminated them completely.
Old 01-04-21, 01:50 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Buttercrump View Post
The Steam version is cheap enough (I have the original dvd somewhere but spent another £4.49 for their version) and the handy thing is you can delete it and download as many times as you like if modding goes horribly wrong.
possibly the post of the year!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 06:30 AM   #7
Hanzberger
Helmsman

Downloads: 140

My vote would be for steam. Easy delete and download if need be, plus no starforce and already patched. I have both also.
Hanzberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 06:51 AM   #8
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkiwi View Post
I have not played SH 3 in a while, just purchased a new PC that has Windows 10 on it and trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

I have the old DVD, I am going to have to use a plug in DVD to install as no DVD is installed on the new machine.

But Steam has it on sale for $2.49...

Which way is going to be simplest? I like the idea of having my own install not related to my Steam account. I have the 1.4 patch already downloaded (from June 25th 2005)!

Does the Steam version run on Windows 10 without jumping through hoops or is it pretty much going to need as much fiddling as the DVD version?

Thanks!
In exactly the same boat here too.

Just grabbed it on steam today for $1.80, and it appears to run fine.
If you want to mod it, just make sure your install folder isn’t in the x86 folder that steam sets up by default.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 12:17 PM   #9
madkiwi
Seaman

So the trick suggested by blackswan40 did it. Uninstalled, reinstalled in c:\games\sh3, patched, extracted the 5 files from rld-h14.rar and then applied the 4 GB fix.

I am able to run the game without any compatibility mode settings- so far. Have installed no mods of any kind and before I do took it for a cruise last night to see if it was stable. Works fine, although I get flashes of some artifacts in the sky all the time. I pulled up the Nvidia performance overlay and it is running at 750-820 fps... The GPU is puttering along at around 25% and at 35-38 celcius.

I just need to re-learn all the keyboard shortcuts, I have my original layout sheet from the retail box but still managed to fire 3 torpedoes blindly when I didn't mean to by tapping the Enter key on the numerical keypad. Also so used to WASD for movement in FPS games...

I also took 2 shots at a freighter at under a mile and missed... because I couldn't remember how to operate the TDC to aim torpedoes.

I think I stopped playing in 2015 when I got addicted to World of Tanks. So I will attempt to update my skills again.
Old 01-19-21, 09:22 AM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO RE: DVD or Steam for SH3 source...

Ahoy,

I, for 1, heartily endorse getting it from Steam, as a source for SH3.

Main point being... it is dirt cheap there & every once in a while, they do a 3 in 1 deal on SH set (which includes in it SH3, SH4 (v1.4 without Uboat Missions & v1.5, which is SH4+Uboat Missions aka SH4 Gold Edition the Ubi designation for it from their end of things...) & SH5) which is perfect, if you want to mod all of those.

On the + side of all this, there is a tool which will allow you to divorce SH3 from Steam, called SFSF. Can locate that by doing a google search for it by entering into the search bar ''[SFSF-MODULE]'' (minus the quotation marks).

This tool, is fairly simple to use, point it at where the SH3 is installed, designate where you want it to go, making sure that divorced SH3 is NOT installed (or sent)in either:

C:\Program files

or

C:\Program files (x86)

I recommend creating the following:

C:\Games\SH3\

& then send it to this folder... after that, make a copy of it (unmodded yet, of course) & then save that on a flash drive or if you have a mega account or some other similar site like it or even both... & save it as your gold standard copy to use later if you wish to do more than 1 modded SH3 flavor...

If you do want to do more than 1 modded out version of SH3, I can NOT stress the importance enough of, ensuring that you make sure of including in the folder along with SH3, MultiSH3. This tool, sets up a completely separate save game folder, well away from the main 1 that SH3 sets up the very 1st time you run it, so that the files complete their initial important set up.

As was pointed out, if you need to access it again due to any loss of the gold standard backup, you can always go back to Steam & redownload it.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-20-21 at 02:38 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 01:32 PM   #11
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

My only issue with purchasing SH3 separatly from the Ubisoft Silent Hunter package on Steam is that if you then again decide you want to play the other Silent Hunter games you have to re-purchase Silent Hunter 3 as a part of that package. Ubisoft are kind of dicks.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 11:00 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatsOfStrength View Post
My only issue with purchasing SH3 separatly from the Ubisoft Silent Hunter package on Steam is that if you then again decide you want to play the other Silent Hunter games you have to re-purchase Silent Hunter 3 as a part of that package. Ubisoft are kind of dicks.
Ahoy, FeatsOfStrength...

Not true... & I know how to do it... as outlined below:

There is a app/mod, if you will... that allows for SH3 to be divorced from Steam. Once you run that app/mod... you can then use the now divorced SH3 to be used as a virgin, pristine copy, to use to make multi copies of it & to be then able to mod with whatever flavor of mega mods...

That item, is called '[SFSF-MODULE]', do a google search for it.

Point the SFSF module at the steam install of SH3, then tell it where to send SH3 to.. namely NOT in either \Program files or \Program files (x86).

I recommend creating a new folder in C:\ & name it Games, then create a new folder in that Games folder, & name it SH3, SilentHunterIII or even SilentHunter3... any of these will do.

After finalizing the divorce decree... I strongly suggest making a copy of it & save it anywhere you want to... a thumbdrive, send it to Mega if you have an account with them (or any other data storage site like Mega. If you want to, send the copy to desktop & then use 7zip or winzip to zip it & leave it there... just make sure to save a copy... that will be your gold standard back up copy..

From Here, create in Games, a new folder & name it SH3 megamods. In this folder create any # of folders named to what mega mods you want to roll with modding out a copy of SH3 with... such as CCoM, GWX, nygm, LSH3 v15 or the new V20, or even WAC... take your pick...

Make sure to include in the new folders of the mega mod to run... jsgme & multiSH3... run multi to set up a new game save folder then close out, run jsgme to set up a 'MODS' folder then close that out. Add in the mods you need for the flave of mega mod you want to run, reopen jsgme & then activate as need the mods... run any patches you need to for those needed & finally... use 4GB patch or Large Address aware last but certainly not least... After that, add in SH3 Commander... if it is NOT already included with the mega mod you're going with.

Hope this helps...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-08-22 at 07:41 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 09:15 PM   #13
pedalboat
A-ganger

Downloads: 130

Silent Hunter 3 1.4b without starforce is a portable game.
So no need to install it more than once.
pedalboat is offline   Reply With Quote