SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-07, 06:33 PM   #91
Hawk U-375
Engineer

Downloads: 518
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_n_ez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_n_ez
ps... great job on the hydaphone sounds too

that thanks needs to go to Hawk U-375, he did the underwater effects for the sounds I needed. I just made them come to life....
Ok.. thanks Hawk U-375 ... GREAT job You made it alot more realistic that what it was .... Kinda actually suprized me to really hear the torpedo hits plus the aftermath of it .....

Your Welcome.....Glad I could be apart of this Great Mod!!!!
Hawk U-375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 06:36 PM   #92
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

Awesome mod. Haven't played much with it yet, but I look forward to the next patrols
sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 07:17 PM   #93
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Hi RB!
I was really quick on this!
Here the list from your Material.dat V2.021:

-These ones don't have alpha channel and also are now only a
tiny white image:
bubble_01, 02
bubbles_01, 02
casca1.tga ==> this one even don't open with Gimp.
ciob_add.tga
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
expl_hallo.tga
paraluie.tga
all pierreE*.tga
Smoke_volum02 and smoke_volum.tga
all splash*.tga (except splash_vert_add.tga only not have
alpha channel)
all twirl_soft*.tga
waterspray.tga

-Some others only don't have alpha channel (take a carefull look at all them)

-These ones have the same above problem but are also on the
texture folder, so no problems in the end:
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
paraluie.tga
some of pierreE*.tga
Smoke_volum02 and smoke_volum.tga

Notice that the textures from depth charges detonation splashes are in this list above. This is how and why I found this problem.

Hopes that this could help you!
Hi Rubini,

Thanks for pointing that out. Which of the files is responsible for the depth charge detonation splashes?
I'm playing with all the GWX splash*.tga inside of my texture folder (i guess that they are the same since stock) to overwrite the ones on RB Materials.dat while awaiting for a official reply from him on this matter. This makes the depth charge effects with old normal look again.
Old 10-29-07, 07:20 PM   #94
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
I'm playing with all the GWX splash*.tga inside of my texture folder (i guess that they are the same since stock) to overwrite the ones on RB Materials.dat while awaiting for a official reply from him on this matter. This makes the depth charge effects with old normal look again.
Do we put them in TNormal or TLowRes?
Old 10-29-07, 07:22 PM   #95
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
...data\Textures\TNormal\tex
Old 10-29-07, 07:40 PM   #96
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
...data\Textures\TNormal\tex
Done... thanks for the quick reply!
Old 10-29-07, 09:20 PM   #97
Hawk U-375
Engineer

Downloads: 518

Race check pm..on thoughts for 2.03
Hawk U-375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 09:31 PM   #98
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
So far everything is checking out. Not done with all of them though. Everything has an Alpha channel that should have one. The Alpha channels are different though from stock to what I have done. I might change some of the Alpha channels to make them more like stock.
If you definitely wanted some changed, which ones should I concentrate on?

EDIT:

I compared all my TGAs to the stock ones and there are some differences. Some of my new TGAs include Alpha channels whereas the same stock one doesn't. Also some have different alpha channels for the same TGA. The ones that are different (either have an Alpha now or Alpha is different) are:

- black
- Fire_add
- int_halo
- pierreE
- pierreE2
- pierreE_test
- splash_vert_conic
- whoopsmal_add_02
- whoopsmal_add_03
- explosion
- explosion_halo_add
- CB
- bucata

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 10-29-07 at 10:36 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 10:55 PM   #99
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
So far everything is checking out. Not done with all of them though. Everything has an Alpha channel that should have one. The Alpha channels are different though from stock to what I have done. I might change some of the Alpha channels to make them more like stock.
If you definitely wanted some changed, which ones should I concentrate on?
The unique one that I have really noticed in game until now that probably have some problem was the depth charges splashes like i said. The others, I only tried to open with GIMP and noticed the absence of Alpha Channel or sometimes a texture that is in truth just a tiny white, etc...but I don´t noticed any problem in game. I don´t make extensive tests, I´m just playing my GWX 1.03 in dec 1942 and only have fired two fishes until now (using your mod) in two small merchants in the Carebean.
The explosions are really great, the hydrophone sounds too!

I have others feedbacks/observations that I will send by PM to you because they are more detailed and more a real feedback and suggestion than any other thing.

But I really think that some messed up was made with that textures in the Materials.dat. Perhaps someone imported them without using the correct graphic soft that work with transparences like Photoshop or GIMP, well i really don´t know (textures aren´t my land, I´m more a tweak man...LOL). Normally the game will run and will be not easy to notice the degradation (if any) of some effects in game when using a texture without transparence when it needs to have one. Like the depth charges splashes again...You need to look close to notice something wrong. In this case the absense of the transparence make it appears somekind of 2D sprites in close look. Well, hopes that you have understood me (my poor english) and thanks to look at this!

The important is that the mod is great and this texture matter is easy to correct.

As a quick question/suggestion: why you used a new "smoke" with problems in the wind direction if the SH3 one was ok on this matter? :hmm:

Anyhow I will let you know any other find that i shall observe using the mod, ok?
Old 10-29-07, 11:09 PM   #100
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
EDIT:

I compared all my TGAs to the stock ones and there are some differences. Some of my new TGAs include Alpha channels whereas the same stock one doesn't. Also some have different alpha channels for the same TGA. The ones that are different (either have an Alpha now or Alpha is different) are:

- black
- Fire_add
- int_halo
- pierreE
- pierreE2
- pierreE_test
- splash_vert_conic
- whoopsmal_add_02
- whoopsmal_add_03
- explosion
- explosion_halo_add
- CB
- bucata
And all that I'm saying could be ok if it´s intentional. Perhaps you have some motives to make this or that texture without transparence or even making it different in some way. If this is the case than what I should like to say (until now) is that the depth charges splashes were better before IMHO. This is my taste, I don´t know if others ppl also have the same opinion on this matter.
All we want is the best SH3 experience and this mod have the great potencial to raise the fun and imersion beyond the limits!
Old 10-29-07, 11:32 PM   #101
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I welcome all criticisms, suggestions, etc. I will run some test missions tomorrow with different TGAs for the depth charge textures and see what I find. Thanks for reporting this.
Old 10-29-07, 11:38 PM   #102
Vader 1
Engineer

Downloads: 0

WOW...I just got the new addition up and running and I am in awe

Thank you ever so much for this great addition...from the flares to the explosions and don't get me started witht the hydrophone sounds. This again has taken this sim to a new level and from all the good feed back I am sure some more version are in the works.

Please do take some time for your self to sit back and enjoy your work sir as it is fantastic.

Vader
Old 10-29-07, 11:58 PM   #103
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader 1
Please do take some time for your self to sit back and enjoy your work sir as it is fantastic.
Vader
I would like to sit down for once and actually play the game but I can't. I'm on a roll and have too many ideas that I have to try and make happen. Most, so far, are coming along quite nicely
Old 10-30-07, 01:05 AM   #104
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

I'll give you the bad news first.
I found some odd issues you might want to see.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Error3.jpg
Too much blood if that what it is suppose to be?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/Errors2.jpg
X marks the spot or its a field goal?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/Errors1.jpg
The aft end of the bobbing boat hopped its way and set and intercept coarse to attack me. I collided and died. Trust me I was using the XXI and it was faster than me under water. I don't get it?:hmm:

It was the weirdest thing I ever seen. I though nothing of it at first when I hit the ship with FAT torpedos, but when it was hunting for me... Well I was shocked. Then dead.

Well it was fun

Now the good news.

Well I was trying to get to Bergen to see my custom work using Missioneditor to tweek Bergen by adding bouys and debris plus XXIII AI subs, VIID AI sub Some merchant ships Docked VIIC\41 and a Cruiser. But I never made it. However it was a busy patrol. Air assaults were insane.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/Funshot8.jpg
I left Lorient in late 44. I pasted 3 german destroyers to the open sea.
Next thing I know I see the sky loaded with planes.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/Funshot6.jpg
This destroyer starts firing its guns and it sounded incredible.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/Funshot7.jpg
I figure I'll help. 3 destroyers + One sub against 16 bombers.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/Funshot5.jpg
2 destroyer sunk and I took some major damage... I said ALARM dive dive.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/myboat1.jpg
I get away and I managed to take out one nice juicy bomber and three of those floating search bombers.
The deptcharges was very nice sound effects. Some of my crew had an accident.

Other than that Racerboy Its a great mod.
Old 10-30-07, 01:19 AM   #105
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
I'll give you the bad news first.
I found some odd issues you might want to see.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Error3.jpg
Too much blood if that what it is suppose to be?

nope, it's a TGA problem - specifically the Alpha channel. I have made a new TGA for this and will be included in next update. It's not supposed to be blood, it's supposed to be the reflection of the flares on the water (gives me an idea though of something to make...:hmm: ). The more flares in the sky the more pronounced this bug.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/Errors2.jpg
X marks the spot or its a field goal?

this is a known bug that was in the included txt file. In order to get the smoke to react to the induced wind of the ship's movement I had to remove a certain controller. This certain controller was responsible for the smoke that always went straight up no matter what. I see this as a valid compromise.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/Errors1.jpg
The aft end of the bobbing boat hopped its way and set and intercept coarse to attack me. I collided and died. Trust me I was using the XXI and it was faster than me under water. I don't get it?:hmm:

now that's something I have no control of. That's an issue with the ship itself.

It was the weirdest thing I ever seen. I though nothing of it at first when I hit the ship with FAT torpedos, but when it was hunting for me... Well I was shocked. Then dead.

Well it was funThe deptcharges was very nice sound effects. Some of my crew had an accident.

Other than that Racerboy Its a great mod.
see above in yellow