SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-11, 04:18 PM   #1
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0
Default Windows Vista 0x000014c error

I need some help with a 0x000014c error.When I went to start my PC today my(both wireless) mouse and keyboard where not responding at the Vista password page.I restarted my PC and it gave me the "Windows is messed up page" it said that there was a registry error I tried every boot option and none work it says to restart my PC and insert the windows installation disk which
I have tried several times but it never seems to read it.

I tried using F12 and "running" the CD/DVD drive but nothing seems to happen.
How do I force the PC to read from the Drive and run the installation so I can attempt the repair options?

System Dell XPS420
32bit Intel Q6600
4GB RAM (or 3?)
8800GT
cant recall the rest of hand

Thanks for any help I am probably forgetting something obvious that is keeping the PC from reading the CD but that is why they have tech threads right?

P.S. I have up to date AVG and run full scans often and scan any files D/Led from the web so I suspect this is not being caused by a virus or malware. Sometimes after scans it does find errors in system restore though it never listed them as threats and I dont know how to fix such a thing.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 04:45 PM   #2
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

I can be badly wrong, but most bios versions I know require F 11 to access the boot options page...

Edit: Did you have the system restore option enabled on your VISTA system. You can try to go back to an older save point then

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 04:50 PM   #3
Stealhead
Navy Seal

O.K. I was able to go into set up and make the PC read the drive first and am now running Windows repair.I thin you can do the same thing with F11 though change the rad order.

Anyway I will report back when I discover what id going on and if windows can fix it.
Old 06-05-11, 04:54 PM   #4
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

I wish you the best, good luck

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 05:08 PM   #5
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Well all seems to have worked it self out windows ran the repair just fine and told me to restart and I did everything seems to be running fine now.I think the cause was a .cbr reading program(used for comic books) I D/Last night must have caused the issue. I will run an AVG scan in safe mode see if it finds anything.

Good thing I did not play SH4 last night I'd have lost the saves in my Op Mosun career which would have resulted in retribution against the Tommies.

Ha ha that is my style I suppose I took a little risk changing the boot order(I id jot down the default order) but it worked out.You could say that I am not lying when I claim to have good problem solving skills which is why I am so good at maintaining refrigeration systems well I do have great mechanical skills as well though many guys cant handle more complex HVAC systems and they get stuck working for some residential service company selling run caps for $100.00.

Does anyone know what the system restore errors that AVG finds mean I have seen these for some time and never had a problem and I dont think that this issue was caused by it either.

Last edited by Stealhead; 06-05-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 06:55 PM   #6
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Download and install TuneUp Utilities 2011 its not free but there is a 15 day trial demo, run Tuneup and let it fix all the problems it finds. Its a good app, that monitors everything & tells you what needs correcting, solved a registry problem I couldn't fix one time there. Even has a gaming mode you can setup where it will disable programs that run silently in the background so you get more gaming power!. Tuneup has been around for 15yrs so its not some newbie app trying to break into the market.

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 12:49 AM   #7
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Sounds useful I'll have to try it out.

Another odd little thing my PC dose from time to time it will minimize certain games while I have them running in full screen normally it seems to happen if I have left the game idle for a few minutes(I have my screen saver set for 30 minutes so I don't think it is the cause) It a pain with SH4 as I always get bugs if I alt+tab or minimize.

I regularly run virus scans in normal and safe mode and also use an alternate program besides AVG so I doubt the random minimizing is some form of malware. Though it may be getting caused by other programs running in the background a few times after random minimize Steam was updating something.This PC is 3 years old and sees much use so perhaps some of the hardware is going on it.
Old 08-24-13, 12:32 PM   #8
Aaron Julien
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Fix Vista 0x000014c

Actually it is not hard to fix this this problem

What you will need to fix it is :

1- A 2gig flashdrive (I used a 2g and it worked,not sure if any other size works)

First visit this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/t88gryfudq...ista32-bit.iso (Thats my dropbox which contains the Windows vista Iso DO NOT EXTRACT IT , just put it on your desktop and leave it there.

2-Visit this link and download and download the usb installer(On the bottom of the page it will mark Download uii in a blue box) , this will turn your flashdrive into a bootable flash drive http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

3-Run the program and it should look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/100773530@N06/

(Make sure you select Windows Vista Installer and note that this will not reset anything on your victim Computer )

4-Now in the select your iso option in the program select the iso which you downloaded from my dropbox by selecting browse AGAIN DO NOT EXTRACT

5-Now put your flashdrive in your computer and select the drive And when everything is done it should look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/100773530@N06/

6-Now select create and note that THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR FLASHDRIVE\

7-Now you have a bootable flashdrive

8-Now insert your flashdrive into yoor victim computer and go into your Bios and set your usb as your first boot device by moving it first in the order (If you dont know how to do this visit this link) -

9-Now restart your computer and it should mark Windows is Loading files on bottom of the screen Just leave your victim computer like this for about 10 - 15 minutes and it should just have a blank screen without the user accounts.

10-Restart your computer by pressing the button on the Tower and select Last known Good Configiration DO NOT TAKE OUT YOUR FLASHDRIVE and your computer will start normally

11-Take out your flashdrive and restart computer again and you are good to go

When this works please vote thats all i ask Hope I helped you
Aaron Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 01:23 PM   #9
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I'm pretty sure distributing a Windows image is illegal. Not to mention a bit shady.

Microsoft has a program of their own that lets you make a bootable USB drive from an image, and you can use various tools to make the image file. I've always used ImgBurn. And here's the MS tool.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote