SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-13, 11:27 AM   #1
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Beware Samsung's shameless datagrab

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/12/45...eazy-data-grab

I get that Samsung is providing their customers with a "value added" service, but this is seriously too much access for free music. Come on, this is like the pizza delivery guy needing the keys to your house, the password to your computer, and the code to your safe.

Samsung's response here:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/17/45...s-are-baseless
Old 07-17-13, 05:04 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

There are two forms of capitalism, a good and construcive one, and an immoral, tyrannic one.

The first is represented by the "honest trader" (in German: "ehrbarer Händler"). His word is like a treaty becasue he means it, he may negotiate tough, but will move heaven and hell to keep his word and deliver his part of the deal, and he indeed wants satisfied customers for the sake od his own honourable reputation, and he does not just want to cash as much as he can, but he wants to honestly earn his income and profit by giving a fair amount of quality in service or item himself, by that he wants to honestly deserve what he gets. This is the kind of business-doing I hold in very high esteem, and when I can afford it, I try to support it. Unfortunately, it is extremely rare these days, and present almost only on the lower level of small business and family business, and at the lower end of the economic food chain.

The other form of capitalism is the kind of guy who does not want to fairly earn his money, but who wants to sack as much as he can in as short time as possible and with as little effort by himself as he can get away with. Grab as much as you can, and see with how much you can still get away, that is his premise. The bigger the company, the more business is being run like this, and when it is big corporation where managers have the saying that have no personal relation to the company's products, but see their contract only as a time-limited opportunity to make as much money as they can, then this form of running an economy means growing problems for everybody, for it corrupts the complete community system.

What I mean is that data collecting promises the potential of big busines sprofits in the future, and targeting personalised advertisment, and selling data profiles of customers and making money with that. And the companies doing that, ALL LIE. Google lies. Yahoo lies. Twitter lies. But also Sony lies, Microsoft lies, Samsung lies. The list is long, very long.

This kind of capitalism is what I totally oppose and dislike and really hate, for it brings out only the evils in man, not what is noble and constructive. It establishes monopolies, tyranny, conglomerated information that allows control and power.

The answer of Samsung is not worth the paper it is written on, but is pure propaganda and self-excusing. Of course they try to profile their customers. Of course they will try to do it even when customers say No to that. Of course they lie about it if it threatens to hurt sales. Hell, on my Galaxy Note there are so many Samsung services that switch on themselves and that I cannot deactivate for lasting effect nor could deinstall, although I do not need them and do not use them. And the whole Samsung tablet again runs by Android, which means Google. And Google knows neither honesty nor obedience to laws. It since long time now makes its own rules, and most of the time it gets away with it. Not always, but most of the time.

It's a candlelight dinner with the devil when you use such services and things. One should know that. And that is true not only for hardware like tablets, but also for social media, online activity in general, and application services like the one discussed above. And don't be fooled: you might have been invited, yes, nevertheless the bill after dinner is over, always is on you.