SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-21, 12:22 AM   #1
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Default Attacking late war large convoys?

I've just started The Turning Point 1943 campaign. I found a large convoy, attacked from about 5 K out, dived to 170m and was attacked by 10 destroyers who, Liam Neesan like, did find me - and did kill me. I tried the attack again, this time from about 9K out. The plan was to attack on the surface, turn tail at flank spped, drop some decoys and dive and evade. But the convoy ships were just too faint at that range to attack. Any solutions? I realize the Allies have upped their game and no longer run after awhile to follow the convoy.
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 10:14 PM   #2
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Well for those who are interested, I succesfully attacked a large convoy in August 1943. I'm using real nav now, so got the convoy course and position from BDU, intercepted it and ran alongside hull down at distance until I got in front of it. This was for around 2 hours approaching dusk.

I got into an attack position 90 degrees on at around 10,000m at periscope depth.

Unfortunately 2 out of my 4 torpedoes were electric so they didn't have the range but I scored two hits on 2 cargo ships with the G7s. This was at twilight.

I dived immediately and went to silent running, turning initially to 270 degrees and eventually to 245 degrees.

I heard some depth charging at long distance so I knew I'd fooled them.

I took the advice from folks here and didn't report contact. I've kept all status reports to a minimum too.

I'm currently set up for a similar attack 24 hrs later. I'll try the same tactic. All G7s in the cans this time.
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote