SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-08, 04:20 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default A very fast Intercept Calculator

Assuming you have all the data already on your contact, I found a much faster way to construct the intercept than MOBO. (Aaron, this would be where the value of templates might give MOBO a lot of power to solve common reoccuring problems.)

Now, today, I have this process fully optimized. Although I worked out the MOBO construction of intercept with appropriate lead be unseen and submerge, I realized that I can use a much more straight forward special purpose calculator to solve the navigation problem. Originally, I thought this calculator, InterCalc, was only good for straight running torpedo solutions, but now I see it is ideal for setting up submerged submarine attacks.

In this screen shot, you see both the MOBO solution in the background with the same InterCalc solution in the foreground.

Old 02-04-08, 04:23 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Here is all the raw data needed to feed into either of these two tools:

Old 02-04-08, 04:24 PM   #3
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Suggestion: One thing your "I" intercept function is missing is the ability to specify a lead distance.
Old 02-04-08, 06:17 PM   #4
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Actually, no. It's not missing.

In fact, not only can you plot a lead distance, you can also position yourself at a pre-specified attack station (something that intercalc can't do).

For a simple lead distance, all you'd need to do is plot another contact 20k yds ahead of the real contact and then plot the intercept for that second contact. I've included a way to set contact vectors equal (mouseover and press the equal key) for quickly adding stuff like that.

I frequently plot submerged intercepts to attack stations that set me up for 30° AoB at 2500yds.

Remember, maneuvering boards are used IRL for solving stationing problems. ...and if it can be done on a real moboard, it can be done on MoBo. I'm just leaving work, but when I get home I'll post your example with the 20k lead.
Old 02-04-08, 06:55 PM   #5
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I understand what you just said with doing a simple lead. Yes, that would be better than what I did which was more trial and error of adjusting positions and looking at times.

I have try that "=" function.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-08, 07:23 PM   #6
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood
I frequently plot submerged intercepts to attack stations that set me up for 30° AoB at 2500yds.
Actually, I would like to see how to do that if you have the time or if it has been done already. Thanks!
Old 02-04-08, 10:13 PM   #7
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8
Default Simple 20k Lead

Here's the simple example of the 20k lead applied to your plot example.

I got 239° at 15kts for a 1:30 time to intercept.