Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-23, 07:03 PM   #9871
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Good news Markus, they were probably all trying to run away wearing Stillettos!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 02-15-23, 07:29 PM   #9872
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Good news Markus, they were probably all trying to run away wearing Stillettos!!

Ever try to run in Stillettos? It ain't easy.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online  
Old 02-15-23, 07:30 PM   #9873
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Ever try to run in Stillettos? It ain't easy.
And how exactly do you know this?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 02-15-23, 07:38 PM   #9874
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
And how exactly do you know this?

From Reeces Twitter posts of course!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online  
Old 02-16-23, 09:18 AM   #9875
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Russian student under arrest for an Instagram story

By Steve Rosenberg
Russia Editor, Arkhangelsk

University student Olesya Krivtsova has been missing a lot of classes.

That's because 20-year-old Olesya is under house arrest. She has an electronic tag on her leg. Police can monitor her every move.

Her alleged crime? Olesya was arrested for anti-war posts on social media. One of them concerned last October's explosion on the bridge linking Russia to annexed Crimea.

"I posted an Instagram story about the bridge," Olesya tells the BBC, "reflecting on how Ukrainians were happy with what had happened."

She had also shared a friend's post about the war.

Then the drama began.

"I was talking on the phone to my mother," Olesya recalls, "when I heard the front door opening. Lots of police came in. They took away my phone and shouted at me to lie on the floor."

Olesya was charged with justifying terrorism and discrediting the Russian armed forces. She faces up to 10 years in prison.

"I never imagined anyone could get such a long prison sentence for posting something on the internet," Olesya says. "I'd seen reports of crazy verdicts in Russia, but I hadn't paid much attention and continued to speak out."

A student of the Northern Federal University in Arkhangelsk, Olesya has now been added to Russia's official list of terrorists and extremists.

"When I realised I'd been put on the same list as school shooters and the Islamic State group I thought it was crazy," recalls Olesya.

Under the rules of her house arrest she's banned from talking on the phone and going online.

Olesya has a striking image tattooed on her right leg - Russian President Vladimir Putin depicted as a spider, with an Orwellian inscription: "Big Brother is watching you."

It appears that in Olesya's case, it wasn't Big Brother watching her, but her fellow students.

"A friend showed me a post about me in a chat," Olesya says, "about how I was against the 'special military operation'. Most of the people in this chat were history students. They were discussing whether to denounce me to the authorities."

The BBC has seen extracts from the group chat.

In one comment, Olesya is accused of writing "provocative posts of a defeatist and extremist character. This is out of place for war-time. It must be nipped in the bud".

"First let's try to discredit her. If she doesn't get it, let the security services deal with it."

"Denunciation is the duty of a patriot," someone else writes.

Later, when the list of prosecution witnesses was read out in court, Olesya recognised the names from the student chat.

It's one year since the Kremlin launched its "special military operation" in Ukraine - the term it uses for Russia's full-scale invasion of its neighbour. Within weeks of the assault, President Putin was calling on the Russian public to separate "true patriots from scum and traitors".

Since then, across Russia there have been reports of Soviet-style denunciations against critics of the war. They include students informing on teachers and workers denouncing colleagues.

Public criticism of the invasion - and that includes reposting other people's criticism - is dangerous. The Russian authorities expect total, unflinching support for the offensive in Ukraine. If you don't support it, at the very least you're expected to stay silent. If you don't stay silent, there's a string of repressive laws for punishing dissent. That includes laws against spreading "false information" about the military and "discrediting" the army.

In Arkhangelsk, a giant portrait of a Russian soldier killed in Ukraine stares down on the city from the side of a nine-storey apartment block, along with the words: "Being a warrior means living forever."

The patriotic messaging is persuasive. On the streets of Arkhangelsk, we find little sympathy for Russians facing prosecution for their anti-war comments.

"People who discredit our army or spread fakes, they're sick in the head," Konstantin tells me. "They should be sent to the front line as cannon fodder."

"I have a negative attitude to critics of the special operation," Ekaterina tells me.

But a long prison sentence for posting something online, isn't that harsh? I ask.

"People should use their brains," Ekaterina replies. "If they live in this country, if they enjoy all the benefits this country has to offer, if they're patriots, they need to abide by the law."

Later that day Olesya is allowed out of her flat. But only to attend a court hearing. Her defence lawyers are trying to persuade a judge to lift the restrictions on her movement.

Olesya's T-shirt sports a picture of a police van with "School Bus" written on it. A comment on how young Russians are being punished for their criticism of the authorities.

The judge rules to keep her under house arrest.

"The state doesn't have the stomach for debate, for democracy or freedom," Olesya says. "But they can't put everyone in prison. At some point they'll run out of cells."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64625127

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-16-23, 09:18 AM   #9876
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

At your age your wrist probably isn’t the only thing that’s limp.

Yep, I had to go there, I’m sorry I couldn’t resist.

Old 02-16-23, 09:20 AM   #9877
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-16-23, 09:33 AM   #9878
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-16-23, 09:38 AM   #9879
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Lukashenko will go to Putin on Friday. They will talk about war

Oleksandr Lukashenko, who seized power in Belarus, will meet with Russian dictator Vladimir Putin at his Novo-Ogaryovo residence near Moscow on Friday.

This was stated by Putin's press secretary Dmytro Peskov, Censor.NET reports with reference to the Russian mass media.

"As for the preparations for the meeting tomorrow between the two presidents - Putin and Lukashenka - yes, I can confirm that such a meeting is being prepared."

According to him, the meeting will take place in Novo-Ogaryovo, "the conversation will be thorough."

Lukashenko also confirmed that the meeting will take place on February 17.

"We will discuss security and defense issues. But the main thing (I already said that we are preparing a meeting of the Supreme State Council sometime in April-May) - we will discuss issues of an economic, military, and political nature, which will be discussed at the Supreme State Council." - he said.

The parties also plan to discuss the issue of a joint military group in Belarus. "If we come to the issue of our joint grouping in Belarus, of course, we will also discuss it," Lukashenko said. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3400168

Putin made crucial mistakes, war is going in right direction for Ukraine, - Swedish Defense Minister Jonson

Russian dictator Vladimir Putin underestimated the Armed Forces and the will of Ukrainians, as well as the cohesion of the EU and NATO.

The Minister of Defense of Sweden, Paul Jonsson, stated this in an interview with the EP, Censor.NET reports.

"In my opinion, Putin made two crucial mistakes. First, he significantly underestimated the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the will of Ukrainians to fight and fight hard. And the second thing he underestimated was the cohesion between the EU and NATO. This led us to the movement in the right direction," he said.

According to the minister, he meant that Ukraine won the battle for Kyiv, Kharkiv, and Kherson, and recaptured Zmiiny Island.

"For the Ukrainian people, the situation is going in the right direction. And we will support you as long as it takes to guarantee your independence and territorial integrity," Jonson added. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3400176

Old 02-16-23, 09:49 AM   #9880
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

European Parliament supports exclusion of Russian Federation from UN Security Council

Remove Russia from the UN Security Council The European Parliament supported at the plenary session an amendment to the resolution to mark the anniversary of the beginning of the Russian aggression against Ukraine, which calls for the exclusion of Russia from the UN Security Council.

As Censor.NET reports with reference to Ukrinform.

The corresponding amendment to the resolution was proposed by Lithuanian MEP Piatras Aušträvičius during the "by voice" voting procedure.

"I propose to supplement the resolution and include the following text in it: The European Parliament... calls on the EU and its member states to take further actions to continue the international isolation of the Russian Federation, including Russian membership in international organizations such as the United Nations Security Council," said the deputy.

This proposal was adopted by the majority of votes of the European politicians present at the meeting, therefore, it will be included in the resolution of the European Parliament.

As previously reported by Censor.NET, today the European Parliament by a majority of votes adopted the resolution "One year of Russian invasion and aggressive war against Ukraine". 444 members of the European Parliament voted for this document, which expresses solidarity with Ukraine, condemns the actions of the Russian aggressor and proposes to bring to justice the top leadership of Russia and its allies, 26 voted "against" and another 37 abstained. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3400191

European Parliament called on international community to provide all, without exception, types of weapons for Ukraine’s victory in war with Russian Federation, - resolution

On the eve of the anniversary of Russia’s invasion of independent Ukraine, the European Parliament adopted a resolution in which it declared its solidarity with the Ukrainian people and support for the country’s complete victory in this war, calling on the international community to supply all types of weapons without exception.

This is reported by Censor.NET with reference to Interfax-Ukraine.

The corresponding document was voted on on Thursday in Strasbourg within the framework of the plenary session of the European Parliament. 444 deputies voted "for", against - 26, and 37 abstained out of 507 who took part in the vote.

"The European Union once again declares its unwavering solidarity with the people and leadership of Ukraine and its support for the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine within its internationally recognized borders," the resolution states.

In this regard, the EP reaffirmed its unchanging "strongest condemnation of Russia's illegal, unprovoked and unjustified aggressive war against Ukraine, as well as the involvement of the Belarusian regime; demands that Russia and its proxy forces cease all military actions, including attacks on residential areas and civilian infrastructure, and that Russia withdraws all armed forces, proxy forces and military equipment from all internationally recognized territory of Ukraine, cease forced deportation of Ukrainian civilians and release of all detained Ukrainians," the EP deputies demand.

The EP pays tribute to the courageous people of Ukraine, the laureates of the 2023 Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought, who defend their country and defend freedom, democracy, the rule of law and European values from a brutal regime that "seeks to undermine our democracy and weaken and divide our Union." Source: https://censor.net/en/n3400183

Old 02-16-23, 10:04 AM   #9881
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Oh oh someone else just tripped and fell out of a window.

PROBABLY SUICIDE: THE BODY OF THE CHIEF FINANCIER OF THE ZVO WAS FOUND IN ST. PETERSBURG

https://spb.tsargrad.tv/news/verojat...sta-zvo_725972

Quote:
Investigators find out under what circumstances the head of the financial support department of the Western Military District in the Kalininsky district died.
The day before, about eight in the morning, the corpse of a woman was found under the windows of a high-rise building on Zamshina Street. Eyewitnesses reported the terrible find to the police.

According to preliminary information, local residents found the body of 58-year-old Marina Yankina on the asphalt. Her personal belongings and documents were left on the common balcony of the 16th floor. It is noteworthy that a woman lived in another house. According to one version, her death can be suicide.

The press service of the ZVO confirmed that the woman was their employee, but refused to seek other comments and advised to contact the investigative authorities for information.

According to Fontanka, before the ZVO Marina Yankina worked in the Federal Tax Service, and also served as Deputy Chairman of the Committee on Property Relations of St. Petersburg.

Old 02-16-23, 10:12 AM   #9882
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-16-23, 12:38 PM   #9883
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
At your age your wrist probably isn’t the only thing that’s limp.

Yep, I had to go there, I’m sorry I couldn’t resist.
Don't apologise; U beat me to it!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-16-23, 02:32 PM   #9884
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-16-23, 02:41 PM   #9885
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Closed Thread