SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-07, 01:28 PM   #136
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default US Naming Criteria

SS, SSN (Pre-LA) where named after sea creatures - i.e. TREPANG is well a type of Sea Slug. SCORPION was shortened from SCOPRION FISH. Originally SSBN's and occasionally some SSN's (L.MENDAL RIVERS, LIPSCOMB) were named after famous people in US History. HG Rickover changed that when he forced (based on money and getting funding) the USN to adopt naming boats after cities and SSBN's after States. The phrase he coined was "Fish Don't Vote". Later we see some exceptions (USS RHODE ISLAND was renamed to USS HENRY M. JACKSON as he was pivotal in helping the TRIDENT program receive funding.) The SEAWOLF is also an exception as the name stuck as well as the "SSN-21" even though sequentially the numbering was dorked up - due to the 21'st Submarine concept. It was needed to inspire guess what funding on a large and capable SSN. We see the class gets mired in politics again with the 22 boat being named after Connecticut and the last boat being named after Jimmy Carter. We are now back to States for SSN's and the correct sequentially numbered boats with the VIRGINIA. IMHO I wish we would save our submarine heritage and go back to Sea Creatures. But with no SSBN on the board to be built it is unlikely that the USN Naming criteria will ever get restored to some semblance of historical perspective. BTW - Brit boats names really rock you got to love AVENGER, ASTUTE, etc.
Old 12-06-07, 01:51 PM   #137
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
It just amazed me how little space there was between the bunks there. I double I would be able to sleep with the next bunk 5 inches away from my face while laying on my back. My friend showed me the cots that you can toss up on the torpedo racks when there's no torpedo somewhere in there, but I imagine that room has to be tough to sleep in as well. Less on the clausterphobia, more on the noise level as people run around the torpedo room doing stuff.

I think my friend worked in the reactor area. He said he wasn't allowed to show me where he worked. I wish I was still in contact with him. I'd ask him and post more information.

Now that I think of it, I do remember going through the mess hall to get to the engine room. The mess hall was TINY.
The other bad thing about the torpedo room is that they have preventative maintenance tasks that require moving weapons around. Which means yanking the bunks for hours at a time routinely. Still beats hot bunking, nothing worde than laying down in someone elses sweat.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 01:52 PM   #138
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdog
Diesel boats and the original fast attack boats are named for fish. As boats became larger...names for fast attack boats changed to American cities and the FBM (boomer) boats came to be named for famous Americans.
and of course later SSBNs were named after states.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 05:29 PM   #139
rattlermorgan
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

HMS/M Explorer, 1960 at Campbelltown, Mull of Kintyre, when in the Sea Cadets. HMS/M Tiptoe when she was tied up in Reserve Fleet, then HMS/M Andrew, Acheron and Aeneas during service in the Royal Navy, as a Ships Diver I used to inspect the hulls with another diver whilst serving on the Submarine Depot Ship HMS Tyne 2nd Submarine Squadron, Devonport 1969/71. I left the Royal Navy in 1973 after serving 12 years, and have never really adjusted to civilian life, the sea has gotten into my blood so to speak. Regards Rattler Morgan.
rattlermorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 08:11 PM   #140
Keyman
Bilge Rat

Default Subs I have been on

Served on Francis Scott Key, SSBN 657, Blue crew, from 72 to 76, made 5 patrols.
Silversides, SSN 679, one northern run, unofficially a Bluenose.
My rate was Machinist Mate 2nd(SS), worked back aft in the engine room.

Visited the following: (all nukes) Guitarro, Bancroft, Tullibee, NR 1.

During a port call in Haakonsvern, Norway, visited one of their German built coastal boats, don't know if it had a name, or just a number.

U-505

Fleet boats: Cobia, Silversides, Clamagore, Drum.

Judging from the number of posts from former subsailors, being a bubblehead is something you don't get out of your system.

I encourage everyone to visit the Francis Scott Key website, www.ssbn657.com.
She was a great boat, with a great crew. I was fortunate to serve on her.
Keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:45 PM   #141
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyman
Served on Francis Scott Key, SSBN 657, Blue crew, from 72 to 76, made 5 patrols.
Silversides, SSN 679, one northern run, unofficially a Bluenose.
My rate was Machinist Mate 2nd(SS), worked back aft in the engine room.

Visited the following: (all nukes) Guitarro, Bancroft, Tullibee, NR 1.

During a port call in Haakonsvern, Norway, visited one of their German built coastal boats, don't know if it had a name, or just a number.

U-505

Fleet boats: Cobia, Silversides, Clamagore, Drum.

Judging from the number of posts from former subsailors, being a bubblehead is something you don't get out of your system.

I encourage everyone to visit the Francis Scott Key website, www.ssbn657.com.
She was a great boat, with a great crew. I was fortunate to serve on her.
Welcome to SUBSIM Keyman

Wow, that is quite a list Nice WS by the way.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:01 AM   #142
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Boats I've served on include the USS Salmon SS 573 worlds largest diesel submarine from 1957 till 1977, I was Sonarman STS 3 (SS) 63-65, USS Ethan Allen SSBN 608 blue crew three patrols 68 to 70, USS Sam Houston SSBN 609 blue crew STS 2 (SS) for two patrols 70-71.

I've been on the USS Redfish, USS Catfish, USS Sculpin, USS Permit, HMS Tapair, HMS FBM submarine (forgot the name) tied up alongside of us one time in Newport News (wow are they clean sailors)

I love my memories ... I just don't have anybody to share them with
Old 12-07-07, 02:29 AM   #143
vonBimmell
Watch

I served on the Canadian Oberon class HMCS/m Okanagan, and visited a few British and American nukey boats.
Old 12-07-07, 03:43 AM   #144
dzoulias
Nub

Downloads: 63
Default Real submarines i have visited

1. While an undergraduate and prostgraduate student, at Portsmouth UK, i have visited
HMS Alliance (P147) Amphion class in Portmouth Submarine Museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Alliance_(P417)

2. When i was a minor, my father (a naval officer in the Hellenic Navy at the time) took me to HS PAPANIKOLIS, a WWII submarine that served under the Greek Flag (Hellenic Navy) during WWII against Italian warships. It was constructed in France. below find some pics but the website is in Greek. I could not find something in English.

http://www.asxetos.gr/article.aspx?i=1247

3. When i was doing my obligatory 21 month navy service in the Hellenic Navy i have visited a type 209/1100 German-constructed submarine also serving with the Hellenic Navy called HS GLAFKOS III. These are 1972-1980 made and underwent extensive overhauling from 1999 and on.

Well thats it i guess...
dzoulias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 09:00 AM   #145
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Uss Pompanito in SF.

That was the first and only sub I have been aboard. I wish they would open the bridge and conning tower up, but I guess saftey regs won't allow that.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 03:26 AM   #146
MGD_
Bilge Rat

U505 (I grew up near her) I have yet to see her new dig's. My brother & I used to climb on her deck & play war I was always the capitan!

USS Nautilus (I was on the crew that helped tied her to the pier where she lay's now in Groton)
USS Providence (plank owner) fear the vls!
USS Dallas (what a sharp outfit) These guy's where the Aces of the Deep during the 80's & 90's.
USS Albuquerque (way before the Loomis afair)
USS Chicago (what a great boat) I scored a 67' GTO from a sailor moving to the east coast when her sea trials were over.
USS Tullibee (when I came on she was the joke of the fleet) We found a low preasure garden hose spliced into a critical part of the steering system.

Never placed on a boat for to long but going down to take a look at what the other kids on the block had to offer I was lucky enough to see the Navy's finest on many boats. I'm so glad I did it. The people were the tops. The Sub Sailors are the best sailors I have ever seen or known.

I spent 40 minutes on the USS Augusta after she smashed into a Russian attack sub near a damaged Russian boomer. I helped tie her up at EB. I saw a story on the Augusta in of all places Penthouse Magazine that comfirmed what happened to her sonar cone.

Make no mistake the 80's were a rough and tumble time for Subs. Short of the hardships of conventional submariners from WW2 we never saw action like the cloak and dagger stuff and I hope the kids never do what we did in the shallows of the Med. ever again.

Mucho respect to every cold war submariner. You earned your pay and then some. As for fuel burning Submariner's I do know how you managed!

MGD
MGD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 11:02 AM   #147
399nkov
Bosun

Downloads: 20

SS288 CABRILLA (Training Sub in Houston, Tx.) , my first.
SS342 CHOPPER
SS399 SEA CAT (Served on for 18 Months) Qualified on Seacat, RM3 SS
SS406 SEA POACHER (Served on for 6 Months) Started Quals on Poacher
SS410 THREADFIN
SS420 TIRANTE
SS421 TRUTTA
SS424 QUILLBACK
SS525 GRENADIER
SS522 AMBERJACK (Just Viewed from Tender) (diesel cigar shaped, exp.)
Barracuda (The others above all at Key West buddy tours)
AS15 BUSHNELL (Our Tender in Key West)
CV16 LEXINGTON (Corpus Christi, TX., tour)
BB35 TEXAS (Houston, Tx. tour)
BB60 ALABAMA (Mobil Ala., tour)
SS228 DRUM (Mobil tour)

Last but not least, SS244 Cavalla, in Galveston, TX. Toured and wade fished near her many times.

Also had a brief tour of the fast attack, SSN 585 Skipjack, the first of the cigar shaped nuke class, Ft. Lauderdale, I think.

This is my first post and I can't say enough about the great mods that are available for SH4. They help to bring back those days at sea.
399nkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 10:39 PM   #148
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

USS Nautilus - Groton, CT. She is one grand 'ol lady. And have visited the memorial Conning Tower, up the street from the sub museum, for the WWII subs at Groton.

Just missed out on a day cruise on a nke out of Groton. Ex son-in-law was stationed there on a Nukeboat.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 11:35 PM   #149
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

U-505 (before the cool enclosed exhibit, been meaning to go back.)
USS Nautulis in Groton, CT while at Sub school.
USS Bowfin went there every port call in PH
and finally the good ol' USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)...for about 4 years.

Pretty short list for a RL submariner imo. But what can I say I worked on one for a few years.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 02:47 AM   #150
dbf574
Mate

Downloads: 17
Default What Real Subs have you been on?

Well, let's see...

I've served onboard the USS Grayback (LPSS/SS-574), USS Jack (SSN-605), USS Barbel (SS-580), USS Los Angeles (SSN-688) and the USS Olympia (SSN-717).
Toured the USS Ohio on her first port visit to Pearl Harbor after having partied with the crew of the USS Darter at Beaman's , needless to say that being attached to the USS Barbel at the time I felt like I had just walked into the bridge of the starship Enterprise when I walked into the control room .
Worked on the electronic equipments within various boats, including the USS Nautilus (when she was active), while working at the Submarine Repair Facility in New London Ct. during my first shore duty (1978-1981).
Visited various boats in Pearl Harbor.
Partied on an Austrailian submarine, their 'Goat Locker' had invited the 'Goat Lockers' of the 4 Los Angeles class boats that were in port with them in Yokosuka, Japan for a 'get-together' (it definitely felt weird drinking alcohol onboard a submarine , but I soon got over it ). Those mates could really drink up a storm, but that's another story altogether

I would love to get a tour of any Virginia class boat that ever pulls into Pearl Harbor... this lady, I have just got to get into