SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-20, 10:43 AM   #1
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Polish and British ships in same convoy?

I was out on my first patrol of Happy Times and hunted down a large enemy convoy. The ships were flying British, Panamanian, and Polish flags. Poland? In mid 1940 why would there be Polish ships in a convoy with the Brits? Would these be considered allies, neutral, or enemy?
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 01:57 PM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
I was out on my first patrol of Happy Times and hunted down a large enemy convoy. The ships were flying British, Panamanian, and Polish flags. Poland? In mid 1940 why would there be Polish ships in a convoy with the Brits? Would these be considered allies, neutral, or enemy?
In real terms, Poland formed a government in exile residing in Britain. Polish forces that managed to flee invading Germans answered to this government and fought Germany together with Allies till the end of the war.

In game terms, there is a separate "Free Poland" nation that flies Polish flag and is to be considered enemy, while actual "Poland" becomes ally due to being conquered. Ships you saw certainly belonged to "Free Poland".
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 03:13 PM   #3
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
In real terms, Poland formed a government in exile residing in Britain. Polish forces that managed to flee invading Germans answered to this government and fought Germany together with Allies till the end of the war.

In game terms, there is a separate "Free Poland" nation that flies Polish flag and is to be considered enemy, while actual "Poland" becomes ally due to being conquered. Ships you saw certainly belonged to "Free Poland".

Damn! There were some heavy tonnage ships flying the Polish flag I could have taken down. Oh well, next time.
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote