Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-06, 09:52 PM   #1
Rcsubs
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter II game editors help

Hello Group,

I have downloaded the patches need to turn SHII into Pacific Aces and after playing the game I would like to do some editing on my own for my own use, not for posting mods anywhere. I do have some programming knowledge and would like to do a little editing on the game and maybe even learn something new........

Could someone tell what programs I need and wher to get them???

I have been doing a bit of searching but so far no luck, but then what are your chances of finding something when you do not even have a name for the item your looking for.............................

Thank you for your time and help,
Darrell
Rcsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-06, 06:43 AM   #2
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

By "game editing" do you mean altering/moding the game files ?

A lot of the relevant files are text files and can be edited with a text editor like notepd or wordpad.

These include :
Udf files ( sim/units) - unit parameters
Adf, Ddf (sim/systems) - system files ( guns, ammo etc )
Dsf ( sim/dsf) - game interfaces
Tga ( sim/art/inteface/cic ) - interface art
Tga ( sim/art/textures) - clouds, sun, water, seabed ect )
Tga (sim/art/pyro ) -textures for particle effects

Also look in shell/art/interface and shell/art/dsf

Audio files are in sim/sfx

Model files are very difficult to change . For most people this means hex editing which is very difficult.
jrf (sim/models) - model files

Last edited by horsa; 09-26-06 at 08:40 AM.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 09:33 PM   #3
Rcsubs
Seaman

Hi Horsa,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but after reading your response I got a little busy doing some editing on the game to see what results I would get and I am glad to say that I now have a Gato sub that runs at 20knots on the surface flank speed and 10knots submerged, from what I have read that was the performance of the US Gato Class sub.

I have been looking for the file that controls the torpedo reload speed of the crew however so far I have not found that file.

Can you tell me which file that would be?

I have always wanted to do a little programming and learn how to make a PC Game, maybe after I spend a little time on this game and learn a little tweaking I will seriously start programming work on a game. I do have some programming experiance, I have a Associate Degree in computer programming, however I never got a chance to apply my knowledge to some work somewhere. I had to good job offers one time and those jobs went out the window when President Regan canceled the MX Missle Program, oh well maybe I can get into game making?
Is C++ the main program language for games?
What language is used for the graphics part of a game program?? I know you mentioned Hex for the graphics, but is the grames programmed in another language and then compiled into Hex?

Darrell
Old 09-29-06, 06:02 PM   #4
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Likewise, sorry I've been away.

I'm not a programmer, so I'm not the best person to advise you on this.

Howvwer, C++ is generally regarded as the best prog language to learn if you wnt to get into game development.

Hex code is on way game code can be read with a hex editor . Try putting "hex editor" into google for a free hex editor . Because of DC/SH2's peculiar model format, this was one way of changing DC/SH2's models, but I wouldn't recommend you get into it. Sergbuto was really tye only person who made real progress with this.

Graphics files come in many different formats and the way they are applied to games varies a lot.
Old 09-29-06, 07:00 PM   #5
Rcsubs
Seaman

Hi Horsa,

I think RPG is also used in game programming, I had a few couses in RPG back in the 70's so I would need a refresher course, however it was an easy language to use, but I had a teacher that could put a hiper child to sleep without any trouble, I think excitement was null and void in his life.

Do you have any ideal as to which file in SHII controls torpedo loading time?

So far you are the only one that has responded to my editing questions and I thank you for your help, game programming has always been and interest, just never got into it and I have been able to make changes to the game so far. The only thing that bothers me is the voice telling me the engines are overheating...

Darrell
Old 09-30-06, 01:58 PM   #6
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

They are going to be in the torpedo system files somewhere ( sim/systems)
Old 09-30-06, 10:23 PM   #7
Palindromeria
Planesman

try torpedo.ddf
Palindromeria is offline   Reply With Quote