Old 03-21-20, 01:47 PM   #1622
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
At least they aren't rationing nuts yet
What nuts? None around here, not even chocolate and crisps. Snack food went bye bye early in the week.

Quote:
Coronavirus: Panic buyers 'should be ashamed', says NHS boss
The national medical director of NHS England criticises people whose stockpiling leaves health workers unable to purchase food.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-boss-11961507
I agree, they are selfish bastards who have no shame or morals.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 02:03 PM   #1623
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I agree, they are selfish bastards who have no shame or morals.
Well really, with regard to TP... who has regard for shame or morals with respect to their respective heinous anus!:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 02:05 PM   #1624
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
BREAKING
Coronavirus: Number of COVID-19 infections in UK tops 5,000 as 233 die
The latest figures show there has been a rise in the number of confirmed cases by 1,035 in a day to 5,018.

BREAKING
Coronavirus: Number of COVID-19 infections in UK tops 5,000 as 233 die
The latest figures show there has been a rise in the number of confirmed cases by 1,035 in a day to 5,018.
Looks like without question we are now on the up curb.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 03:32 PM   #1625
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Uk was mentioned, so I made a search for how many people in UK had died from a Flu infection.

So now you my English friends can compare

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...al-flu-reports

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 04:00 PM   #1626
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This is a long interview with the German lead scientist who represents the scientific perspective behind the German approach. Prof. Drosten is head of the virology station of the Berlin Charité and the chief counselor to the federla govenrment, and he gets listened to. Probably nobody has more scientific influenc on German polticla deicisons currently, than him. He worked early for the CDC as well, is one of the discoverers of SARS and contributed dominantly to the first quick test for SARS that was then released under his repsonsibility early before it hd even passed all formal tests and licenses (the time was so urgent that he said they could not wait of the bureaucrats to catch up). He is seen as one of the world's leading virologists and is an outspoken expert especially for Corona virusses.

For better or worse, this man's views are the scientific basis the government acts upon.

In English.

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundhei...omplettansicht
Old 03-21-20, 04:37 PM   #1627
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Listened to a live interview with Drosten today, in the radio on DLF (Deutschlandfunk) today while driving to and fro Braunschweig.

Good man, he also makes the panic spreaders look awful.
"Corona is dangerous, but manageable." He is also of the opinion that Germany is taking the right way.

"We're two or three weeks ahead of some of our neighbors. We've been able to do this because we've been doing so many diagnostics, so much testing. Of course, we missed some cases in this early stage, that always happens. But I don't think we overlooked a major outbreak. This assertion is also supported by the fact that we are seeing cases in Germany increase as expected. But we're also seeing that we have fewer deaths than other countries."

(This was also said in the radio interview.)

But also:
"ZEIT ONLINE: How much longer will we be able to keep up with testing in Germany?
Drosten: At some point, this won't be possible anymore. We're simply not able to increase our testing capacity as quickly as the number of cases rises. Then two things will coincide: First, some of the people who are now sick with COVID-19 will die. And second, because we won't be able to test everyone, our statistics will be incomplete. Our fatality rate will then also rise. It will appear that the virus has become more dangerous, but this will be a statistical artifact, a distortion. It will simply reflect what's already starting to happen: We're missing more and more infections."

So, it still can get much worse here.

He explained the differences between countries like China and us, and why he thinks why our way is the better one, even, or especially, in dire situations like this. When asked about the UK and the US he was very... quiet.
Whatever, he mentioned the cooperation within Europe, but also said that an earlier appreciation/realisation? of the multiplying of cases in Italy would have been desirable.
He is also of the opinion that China was (relatively) open and communicative, so while it all spread from China, the latter's reaction and international information was quick and decisive.

I wonder whether i can get this on audio recording somewhere.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-21-20 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typoes, still some left i fear
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 06:11 PM   #1628
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
So, it still can get much worse here.
Of course it can get MUCH worse. Yesterday, Martenson opened this calculation, he showed that after what Italy has been through, only 0.8% of their population nevertheless has reached immunity so far. Needed for virusses with an estimated R0 (replication/spreading rate) like this one, are 75-90%, 80% he said.

Lets not forget that. Whatever we do, the only relief to all this is 80% herd immunity, either by infection and surviiving it, or by controlled infection via a vaccine.

The only good news is that around 80%, maybe even a bit more of infected people suffer from only mild symptoms that do not require hospitalization, just house quarantine for 3 weeks. This sounds harmless, but the killing risk lies in the hospitals being blocked for all other patients that are not Corona, too.

Also, quite some of those who had to go to hospital and surived it, suffer for the rest of their lives from lung deficits, 20-30% of their lung capacities are gone.

Realistically, vaccine not before 2021. In the best and smoothest and problem-cleaned scenario imaginable, late autumn. But the nothing must go wrong, and everything and everybody must work perfectly. Not very likely, but highly unlikely.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-21-20 at 06:25 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 06:59 PM   #1629
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I read today that in Australia if 40% of the population get it , more people will die than died in WW1 and WW2 . My youngest son nearly died of pneumonia when he was 9 . He will die , my other son will die , my father will die , i will die , my wife will die . All have serious underlying health problems to start with .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 07:48 PM   #1630
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
I read today that in Australia if 40% of the population get it , more people will die than died in WW1 and WW2 . My youngest son nearly died of pneumonia when he was 9 . He will die , my other son will die , my father will die , i will die , my wife will die . All have serious underlying health problems to start with .
Sober - statistics and probabilities do not describe individual fates. NEVER. Only trends for populations. You do not know what will happen to each and every individual in your family.

Do your part to shift probabilites in your favour.

How to do that by now everybody should know.
Old 03-21-20, 08:10 PM   #1631
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Sober - statistics and probabilities do not describe individual fates. NEVER. Only trends for populations. You do not know what will happen to each and every individual in your family.

Do your part to shift probabilites in your favour.

How to do that by now everybody should know.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:17 PM   #1632
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The US number of reported cases just blew past Spain, Germany, and Iran. Well, Iran doesn't count, their numbers are probably bogus.

By Friday the US will pass China and be #1 in the world for reported COVID-19 cases.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:46 PM   #1633
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
The US number of reported cases just blew past Spain, Germany, and Iran. Well, Iran doesn't count, their numbers are probably bogus.

By Friday the US will pass China and be #1 in the world for reported COVID-19 cases.
You think late testing and very few labs had anything to do with that?

Six weeks later I'm just now getting over the flu (at least I think it was the flu)
or achievement

Old 03-21-20, 08:53 PM   #1634
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I read an article last Thursday or Friday, U.S. N.I.H. is expecting confirmed cases in the U.S. to exceed 70,000 this week. It was said those numbers would be driven mainly from a substantial increase in testing.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-21-20 at 09:01 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 09:00 PM   #1635
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I just spoke with a friend who got called into an emergency meeting at his hospital. He said the virus is spreading quickly from gas pumps. He said to wear gloves or have a paper towel touch the pump and throw the napkin or gloves out before you get back in the car. Please tell everyone you know. Shopping carts as well, wipe them down
or achievement

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan