SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-07, 09:29 PM   #1
Spruence M
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
[WIP] SH3 Commander Bar Scene Mod

SILENT HUNTER COMMANDER BAR SCENE MOD

I have contacted JScones, and recieved his permission to do the following:

As my first MOD attempt I am going to introduce more content into the bar scene. I hope to accomplish several things:

1. More Dialog
2. More Rumors
3. Bar News
4. Kpt. Balz News (If he is willing and everyone doesnt seem to mind, I find him humorous myself)
5. More Characters for the bar.
6. More Drinks
7. More Bar Scene Shots.

This will be the easy part I believe. JScones had mentioned that it might be possible to add music, but due to my hectic day, I was unable to read his E-Mail carefully enough to understand his directions, and I will check it again for reference.

I would like to extend the bar scene for ALL years and include gossip and such at the bar, more so than now. I have always enjoyed this feature a lot, and wish to improve upon it. I have yet to see anyone else take these measures, and since I have no real MOD knowledge, this will be a good place to start.

As a secondary objective, I will also try to include some more news in the loadscreen section, hopefully enough to fill up each paper, and not have any blank spots, because these load screens get me through the load times.

I would appriciate input on Any and All of these subjects. Character Names and Dialog would be apprciated. I will take everything under advisment.

Thanks for your input,

Matthias Spruence

Edit: *2 minutes later: I just got a new job and I start tommarow, I will be posting and working on this project as much as possible.
Spruence M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 05:43 PM   #2
Huskalar
Ensign

Downloads: 176

Just want to say that I like your mod idea.
Huskalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 06:10 PM   #3
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Good luck, IMHO this is a good idea, it'll add more emersion to the "between missions" times.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 10:12 PM   #4
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 05:25 AM   #5
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

A great idea! Club was empty, quiet and bored. Experiences, rumours and news are welcomed!

Greetings!
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 05:29 AM   #6
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Oh god yeah that would be way cool Spruence. Go forth and moddiply!

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 10:34 AM   #7
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 658

S!

Very good initiative.......I really gve up going to the night club...too boring!

Looking forward to it
Old 10-06-07, 01:52 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Can we have a change of dress for the singer ? That old one looks split

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:13 PM   #9
Spruence M
Sonar Guy

By no means forget about this, I know I have not posted anything new on it, but after 2 back surgeries and a host of other things, and working for the first time in several years, I just havnt gotten too it.

To borrow the Esteamed Lehman's terms, "Through hell or high water..." I'll get this little mod done.
Old 10-08-07, 09:18 PM   #10
Bosk
Watch

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruence M
By no means forget about this, I know I have not posted anything new on it, but after 2 back surgeries and a host of other things, and working for the first time in several years, I just havnt gotten too it.

To borrow the Esteamed Lehman's terms, "Through hell or high water..." I'll get this little mod done.
Very sorry to hear about your difficulties but I applaud your willingness to keep up an optimistic attitude.

I think an improved SH3 nightclub could really add a lot to the game, and don't forget the idea that I had about gambling with other sub captains and betting Renown! I think it'd be a great way to blow off steam after a long patrol.
A few more shots of those lovely french ladies (scantily clad of course) would not go astray either.

Best of luck with this mod!
Old 10-09-07, 07:21 PM   #11
Spruence M
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosk
I think an improved SH3 nightclub could really add a lot to the game, and don't forget the idea that I had about gambling with other sub captains and betting Renown! I think it'd be a great way to blow off steam after a long patrol.
A few more shots of those lovely french ladies (scantily clad of course) would not go astray either.

Best of luck with this mod!
The gambeling addition, although would be a GREAT idea, is far beyond the realm of my capabilities. Again, I think that would be a worthy addition, but I simply cannot code this type of thing in any capacity.

Looking at this project, it mostly is simply adding dialog, and pictures. Which from my current perspective will be fairly easy, because the picture is linked to a random folder already setup within SH3 Commander and I won't even have to work with that, or at least thats my understanding.

Wish I could though.

I can troubleshoot your hardware and software though!

I also will be making an attempt to add in some music, but to keep file download sizes down, I may just include a couple, with some instructions on how to add more as a user desires. At my first thought, music would sort of be an overkill, but with as much content I have in mind, you'll have time to hear it.

Also, please include some character names, real Germanic names if you want, otherwise I am going to pull them from the SH3 name generator for the carear mode, but if you have a custom request, I will ofcourse entain them.

Rumors and conjecter suggestions as well, everything in this forum that is suggested might just get added. I really want to make this a big hit. (I've never really contributed anything, and to pay back the community with this project would be very nice.)

Edit: A rumor suggestion example would be like Lujein's seceat lover...

I will also add in some more events to the bar scene that are historical, like Hess' flight to England, and some info maybe about the German airborne mission to assasinate Churchill. Correct me if I am wrong, but that book was based on a true story was it not?

Also, Gunther Prein will be noted for his successes throughout the war, and his death, I remember hearing that he sank the oak, but then he mysteriously vanished.
Old 10-09-07, 08:52 PM   #12
AtlantikEel
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

From u-boat.net:
Günther Prien went aboard for his last patrol on 20 February, 1941.
This incident is now being questioned, as the traditional credit for U-47's sinking has always been attributed to the British destroyer HMS Wolverine, but new data suggests that the destroyer was actually attacking Eckermann's UA which had to withdraw from the battle with heavy damage.
It is now speculated that U-47 was hit by one of her own circling torpedoes. (Two US submarines in the Pacific are also believed to have been lost to the same sort of equipment failure.)
AtlantikEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:17 PM   #13
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosk
This would require coding changes to SH3Cmdr. And tbh, before I considered adding this feature I'd add a "Meet with BdU" feature where after each patrol your performance would be analysed and possibly commented on by BdU. Perform exceptionally well and you'll meet with Karl in Berlin where you could get access to new equipment, details of the latest Allied and Axis techniques, details of the war's progression etc etc. Perform poorly and you'll meet with Karl in Berlin where you could take further renown decreases or other "punishment".

Sort of immersing you into a more accountable role where your performance results in more than just a "Be more aggressive" response.

But not likely to happen as I can't see any justification for releasing an SH3Cmdr R2.8.

Quote:
Looking at this project, it mostly is simply adding dialog, and pictures. Which from my current perspective will be fairly easy, because the picture is linked to a random folder already setup within SH3 Commander and I won't even have to work with that, or at least thats my understanding.
No, you need only plonk jpg images and wav sounds into the Nightclub folder and SH3Cmdr will do the automating itself. Have a look in the folder now and you'll see three jpg files - SH3Cmdr grabs one randomly each time the user "visits" the nightclub. Likewise wav files.

BTW, widescreen images (16:9 proportion) work best as that is the "native" display size for the nightclub screen.

If sound file size becomes an issue, you may want to consider releasing a core pack and a separate optional sound pack.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:26 PM   #14
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Also, guys, with rumours and such, don't be afraid to think laterally and draw inspiration from any medium. For example, a current nightclub comment:
Quote:
0=PETER: I heard recently that the Americans captured an Enigma machine from U-571. A relative in Hollywood told me, so it must be true.
There's numerous others like this.

Tongue poking at SH3 is also included:
Quote:
2=JOACHIM: "Be more aggressive" they say. "Keep up the good work" they say. Bah! They're not much for variety are they?
There's definately a few of these type of comments in there!

Hopefully these inspire some creative thinking.

Looking forward to seeing the final product.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 06:22 AM   #15
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Also, please include some character names, real Germanic names if you want, otherwise I am going to pull them from the SH3 name generator for the carear mode, but if you have a custom request, I will ofcourse entain them.

Rumors and conjecter suggestions as well, everything in this forum that is suggested might just get added. I really want to make this a big hit. (I've never really contributed anything, and to pay back the community with this project would be very nice.).....
That sounds very promising and my officers will really look forward to their return to home base and danse with the pretty mademoiselles in the cabaret and enjoy some good music ........Just one info: Do you wish us to post our custom request/suggestions here? or send them directly to you by PM?

good luck for your project!