SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-16, 12:37 PM   #301
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
\DATA\CAMPAIGNS\CAMPAIGN\DynamicMiss
\DATA\CAMPAIGNS\CAMPAIGN\PatrolObjectives

Perfect! Thanks!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 12:47 PM   #302
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Perfect! Thanks!

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 12:50 PM   #303
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks!
Don't forget the \DATA\UPCDATA\UPCLocalization folder.
These are the interior screens.

Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 01:21 PM   #304
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

On a another note, I noticed last night while on patrol using v.02 Alpha that some of the ships in FOTRS were taking less torpedo hits to sink than normal. Ships that normally take three were going done after two.....etc.
I think I'll add the zones file to the mix via JSGME tonight and look for any differences while I'm playing. Sorry, I meant to say testing.

Old Dog 1 out for now.

Old 06-23-16, 02:06 PM   #305
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
On a another note, I noticed last night while on patrol using v.02 Alpha that some of the ships in FOTRS were taking less torpedo hits to sink than normal. Ships that normally take three were going done after two.....etc.
I think I'll add the zones file to the mix via JSGME tonight and look for any differences while I'm playing. Sorry, I meant to say testing.

Old Dog 1 out for now.
I'll have to get back into my "testing" also, give a good "run through the water", so to speak... My last foray under the sea involved the same SM that I'd made before, with 2 Ise BB, 1 tanker & 1 CA Furataka (the one that jumps over torps with effortless ease). Comparing the versions, in FOTRSv2, beautiful graphics, slightly more difficult to get a ship to go down, especially in mid-1942, due to "duds", early detonations, and "tail-chasers" (the ones that make you go "Oh, $#!p!!!"). If the torps hit & detonated, 6 or 7 to take an Ise down. Compared to stock v1.4 & v1.5, oftentimes, only four, and the ship would sink in less than 10 minutes. The other night, I played in the v0.01 Alpha, and it took seven & eight hits to take 'em down, and they still hung around for over 30 minutes each after "Enemy target destroyed, Sir!". Like cdrsubron7, it only took five torps each yesterday evening, so either I've gotten to be a better "shot", or they sank easier - not as fast as stock, but still pretty quick. I wonder what they did for the sinking and/or damage model in FotRS v2.0?

Also, here's some links:

First up are a couple links on DropBox to what I just finished with, "SH4SoundStudy.xls" (or csv)

The Excel spreadsheet, in Office 2000 format:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/22o8i7s1at...Study.xls?dl=0
This file has one sheet for each version of "Sound" folder I'm looking at.

Just the sorted data, in a csv file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/krspkyoo16...Study.csv?dl=0
Being a CSV file, this is only the sorted data, which is the helpful info...

And just to add to "The Sound" discussion, I've copied my earlier mp4 from photobucket over to DropBox with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mf1dksupl...Sound.MP4?dl=0

In the spreadsheet, there's all sorts of differences, making me wonder if there's any documentation at all as to how sound is handled by the program, and the requirements for the files.

I do have to take me some time, and go over the last half dozen or so pages of this thread, and get caught up on what all has been happening while I've been trying to get that metadata gathered and sorted. If anyone wants to know what I did to get that, let me know and I'll try to describe it. It's actually rather easy to get at, but the sorting is the killer...

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-23-16 at 02:25 PM. Reason: who tauwt me two sprell?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 03:19 AM   #306
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The other night, I played in the v0.01 Alpha, and it took seven & eight hits to take 'em down, and they still hung around for over 30 minutes each after "Enemy target destroyed, Sir!". Like cdrsubron7, it only took five torps each yesterday evening, so either I've gotten to be a better "shot", or they sank easier - not as fast as stock, but still pretty quick. I wonder what they did for the sinking and/or damage model in FotRS v2.0?
The ship damage model in FOTRS v2.0 has tremendously increased flooding times. Some ship compartments need 25 minutes to flood when they're destroyed. If they're just damaged, the flooding times increases even further, taking hours to flood only one ship compartment.

The hit point system works as stock does. During a night attack, running surfaced and at full speed, fired four fish at a very fast moving Mogami CA. She spotted me, managed to fire two gun salvoes at me while I was turning away, before one torpedo hit her under the turret. She lost all her hit points, a big Hollywood explosion, immediately stopped firing, slowly turned its turrets front and sunk aft first after about 10 minutes.... Exactly like your case with the Ise BB. But still, I prefer it from the stock damage model.

You might do grave damage to a ship, but she'll continue firing her guns 'till she sinks. And NO WAY she'll sink fore first if you torpedo her aft. The "She's going down" will be received when the most of the ship is clearly underwater, water pressure has broken the watertight doors, flooding uncontrollably the rest of the ship. That's what I'm trying to achieve.

PS
I've yet to encounter "The SOUND" or ticking sounds. Your creaking files may have exorcised that demon.

Old dog 2, over & out.
Old 06-24-16, 06:41 AM   #307
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
I've yet to encounter "The SOUND" or ticking sounds. Your creaking files may have exorcised that demon.

Old dog 2, over & out.
The ticking sound in my video was the stop watch. And it goes away when I shut it off about 2/3 of the way through the video.
Old 06-24-16, 08:33 AM   #308
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
The ticking sound in my video was the stop watch. And it goes away when I shut it off about 2/3 of the way through the video.
By the way boss, did you notice that the helmsman "finally" says "Rudder zero"?
Old 06-24-16, 01:15 PM   #309
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Started a new patrol last night in January, '44 out of Fremantle. Patrol area was Celebes Sea northwest area not to far from Davao Gulf. Loaded Billy's Zone mod into see if there where any changes with the number of torpedoes it needed to sink ships. Most of the ships encountered were smallish except a Big Old Tanker and a Whale Factory Ship. All ships took two torpedoes to sink including the tanker and the Whale Factory Ship. The only exception to this was the two Sen-Toku subs I encountered. The first one sank after one hit although I fired two. The second one required four. I would have posted screenies of the Sen-Tokus but I'm at work right now.

Maybe one of you guys can jog my old memory. Someone recently posted in this thread or one of the other threads having to do with our work here and mentioned something about three merchant ships he had modeled for some other mod and offered them to us to use in FOTRS Ultimate. For the life of me I can't find that post again. Do any of you remember this or am I suffering from senility.

Old 06-24-16, 01:44 PM   #310
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
By the way boss, did you notice that the helmsman "finally" says "Rudder zero"?
That sold me on the mod right away. Brilliant! Only nine years late.
Old 06-24-16, 02:21 PM   #311
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Started a new patrol last night in January, '44 out of Fremantle. Patrol area was Celebes Sea northwest area not to far from Davao Gulf. Loaded Billy's Zone mod into see if there where any changes with the number of torpedoes it needed to sink ships. Most of the ships encountered were smallish except a Big Old Tanker and a Whale Factory Ship. All ships took two torpedoes to sink including the tanker and the Whale Factory Ship. The only exception to this was the two Sen-Toku subs I encountered. The first one sank after one hit although I fired two. The second one required four. I would have posted screenies of the Sen-Tokus but I'm at work right now.

Maybe one of you guys can jog my old memory. Someone recently posted in this thread or one of the other threads having to do with our work here and mentioned something about three merchant ships he had modeled for some other mod and offered them to us to use in FOTRS Ultimate. For the life of me I can't find that post again. Do any of you remember this or am I suffering from senility.
Take a look at the last post of Razzle Dazzle thread.

Please, PLEASE, post the Sen Toku screenshots Commander!!

God, I'd love to drive this beauty...
Old 06-24-16, 02:51 PM   #312
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Take a look at the last post of Razzle Dazzle thread.
Thanks, Billy.

Quote:
Please, PLEASE, post the Sen Toku screenshots Commander!!

I will post them tonight after I get home from work.

Old 06-24-16, 03:33 PM   #313
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Thanks, Billy.

I will post them tonight after I get home from work.
Anytime Commander!
Old 06-24-16, 06:59 PM   #314
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

OK, I've been diving into the deep end of the pool, without my floaties, and I believe I have discovered a problem... there is no water! Can't hide a re-floatable sinkable boat without water! But seriously, the "ShipName.dsd" files are where the ship sounds are called from, such as the sound of the engine from near and far, above and below water, and the sound of the props. Most of the BB class, all nations, use the KingGeorgeV sound files, just with different settings. My problem, like with the sorting of the Sound folder files' metadata, is that the data is not in any particular order. One ship calls the prop sound first, another calls the "loud" engine, and another the quiet engine, while another might start with the ambiance or the mix sound. Kind of hard to pull the data and sort it properly, in order to see which ship uses what. Now, this might very well be the way that the devs made a particular model "unique" in its sound, with using the same sound file as all the others... don't know.

Anyway, going through "The Museum", it seems that there is a sound playing in the background the whole time, which is probably an "_amb" file. Haven't figured out which one yet. But just looking at the BB classes in "The Museum", and it seems that some of the ships do not have ANY sound associated with them. (Is this a "Museum" problem, or a ship's DSD file problem??) So, I'll probably go through each ship in "The Museum" individually and write down which ones seem to be quiet. Then, on to the carriers, cruisers, destroyers, etc. I did notice that some of the destroyers do use a file (can't find the name right now in my notes...) that apparently simulates a "straight pipe" sound, while some of the bigger ships seem to be "muffled". The Iowa is set at like "50", while a destroyer might be set to 85, or similar. I'll be messing with the DSD file settings, also substituting something really obviously NOT a ship sound, so I can try to figure this out.

In the meantime, there are 221 sound files in a "stock" SH4, v1.4. Stock SH4 v1.5 has the same (apparently) exact files. There are 142 sounds in FOTRS2 that are different from stock. One hundred Seventy-Three in Ralles' mod. You can figure that most of the FOTRS sounds do NOT match the length of the stock sounds. Some are spectacular sounding. If we can prove, one way or the other, what actually causes "The Sound", it'd be tempting just to leave well enough alone, and just fix what needs fixing, like the "blending" of a sound back into the background - which, btw, has it's own settings in several DSD files, dependent upon where you are (in the sub, near shore, middle of the night, etc)...

In the meantime, all the speech files are in ogg vorbis format. Even the stock games, from the time of my first SH4 purchase (can't remember the version, but a "one point zero something or other), until now, has had issues with "voice" when coming back out of TC. I have not found any rhyme nor reason that can solidify the exact circumstances, as it doesn't seem to always happen the same way twice, -BUT- usually after a 32 or 64 times TC, and you'll lose your voice confirmations from the crew. But, not always. If anyone has any enlightenment on the issue, I'd appreciate "hearing" your take(s) on the issue. I have found some "voice" DAT files, nine of them, that seem to match the nine voice folders in "Sound", but those just look to be a list for lip syncing (say whuh??)...

I'd sure appreciate it if someone who has experimented with the Sound in their game to "pipe-up" and let us know what they did, and how well it worked. We want the bad with the good, so we can attempt to avoid the bad... Thanks - out.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 09:50 PM   #315
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

The second picture looks so much like the first I just put the one up.