SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-10, 03:37 AM   #16
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Akk! you on a laptop?
If so Im afraid you cannot upgrade your video card.
Its built in.

Last edited by JU_88; 09-03-10 at 07:09 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 04:22 AM   #17
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Yep, looks like you will have to either purchase/build a desktop machine or a new laptop for SHV.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 01:17 PM   #18
Seth8530
Captain

Downloads: 17

Yeah, ur gona need a desktop or a new laptop with some mure umph to it.. 1.8ghz is kinda week for modern gaming even if its a quad core because most games poorly utilize all cores.

The graphics card is also an issue. Integrated graphics as a rule generally suck for gaming. If it was a desktop i woulda recomended adding in a graphics card and possible overclocking the CPU but since you cant get past the graphics card issue overlclocking the CPU would me a moot point..

Good luck and sorry. wish we coulda had better news.
Old 09-03-10, 05:40 PM   #19
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov View Post
Yep, looks like you will have to either purchase/build a desktop machine or a new laptop for SHV.
its a PC. not a laptop. Wtf. theres no way i can upgrade it? Absolutely no way? What about getting a new motherboard. is that possible? i dont want to buy a new machine.... this one cost 600 dollars. now i have to get another one just because some retards didnt have the sense to allow for graphics card update? thers gotta be another way

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 05:46 PM   #20
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Sorry Capt. Matt. Not sure why I assumed it was a laptop.

So it is a Gateway desktop machine. About 2 or 3 years old? Also did you run CPU z program?
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Old 09-03-10, 05:54 PM   #21
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Quote:
Sorry Capt. Matt. Not sure why I assumed it was a laptop.

So it is a Gateway desktop machine. About 2 or 3 years old? Also did you run CPU z program?
yea its around 3 years.

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
Old 09-03-10, 06:30 PM   #22
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Hopefully we are on the right track now

Ok Capt MattJ, I did some research on this as I must admit that I built my own machine around a similar time to you purchasing this computer but I went down the Intel Core 2 Duo route (E6600 2.4Ghz oc'd now to 3.2Ghz). So I am not overly familiar with AMD from this time scale of 2008.

You have a Gateway desktop machine with a AMD Phemom X4 9150e CPU clocked at 1.8Ghz. Firstly the e in the spec denotes that it is an energy efficient CPU. It is a quad core but has a slow (laptop style) clock speed of only 1.8Ghz. Your motherboard is a Gateway RS780 which is based on the AMD 780G chipset.

I searched for your motherboard spec online and I think that I have found it here. The important spec to take from this is:
Quote:
One PCI Express ×16
One PCI Express ×1
Two PCI conventional
So we know that you have a PCI Express x 16 slot for a graphics card. Hence you are good to go to install a graphics card in that x 16 slot. Now the questions that you need to ask is what type of graphics card do I need in terms of performance? For a start looking at your weak CPU clock speed and the fact you use a 19" monitor you don't need any super dooper new fast graphics card. That would just be a waste of money. As others have mentioned you will need to also check your power supply to make sure it has the specs to cover the install of a graphics card in terms of wattage, 12v rail, and also 6 pin graphics card power connectors. Also you will need to make sure the graphics card length is not too long and that it will fit in your case. What is your budget to spend on a graphics card?

If my post doesn't make sense then excuse me as I am somewhat bleary eyed and tired.
Old 09-03-10, 06:39 PM   #23
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Quote:
Ok Capt MattJ, I did some research on this as I must admit that I built my own machine around a similar time to you purchasing this computer but I went down the Intel Core 2 Duo route (E6600 2.4Ghz oc'd now to 3.2Ghz). So I am not overly familiar with AMD from this time scale of 2008.

You have a Gateway desktop machine with a AMD Phemom X4 9150e CPU clocked at 1.8Ghz. Firstly the e in the spec denotes that it is an energy efficient CPU. It is a quad core but has a slow (laptop style) clock speed of only 1.8Ghz. Your motherboard is a Gateway RS780 which is based on the AMD 780G chipset.

I searched for your motherboard spec online and I think that I have found it here. The important spec to take from this is:

So we know that you have a PCI Express x 16 slot for a graphics card. Hence you are good to go to install a graphics card in that x 16 slot. Now the questions that you need to ask is what type of graphics card do I need in terms of performance? For a start looking at your weak CPU clock speed and the fact you use a 19" monitor you don't need any super dooper new fast graphics card. That would just be a waste of money. As others have mentioned you will need to also check your power supply to make sure it has the specs to cover the install of a graphics card in terms of wattage, 12v rail, and also 6 pin graphics card power connectors. Also you will need to make sure the graphics card length is not too long and that it will fit in your case. What is your budget to spend on a graphics card?

If my post doesn't make sense then excuse me as I am somewhat bleary eyed and tired.
well i posted all the info on wattages in my CPU and posted em, take a look. AS for the Card, i just want a good one. not extreme, just good enoough to run SH5 and other new games. and uhhh, may i ask what Clock speed is and what its relation to my performance is? i searched some cards, and a decent one looks to be about 100 - 150. thats what im willing to spend.

- James Madison
Old 09-03-10, 06:53 PM   #24
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
well i posted all the info on wattages in my CPU and posted em, take a look.
No, those wattages that you posted are actually info settings on parts of your motherboard relating to voltage of things like northbridge, southbridge and CPU voltages. These have nothing really to do with your power supply (PSU). You will have to physically look at the PSU in your machine to find it's specs and check out the cabling on it. Otherwise you may have a gateway manual that also provide these specs or you could try searching the gateway website with the model number of your machine and that may also tell you. Personally I would simply examine the PSU and write that stuff down and also check the cabling if you can such as what type of spare plugs there are.

Quote:
AS for the Card, i just want a good one. not extreme, just good enoough to run SH5 and other new games. and uhhh, may i ask what Clock speed is and what its relation to my performance is? i searched some cards, and a decent one looks to be about 100 - 150. thats what im willing to spend.
You want to spend 100-150 what? Pounds, US dollars. What currency/country are we talking about?

Can anyone chime in as to what is a decent GPU card for SHV as I must admit that I still haven't purchased SHV. I'm still waiting for it to go in the bargain bin price category.
Old 09-03-10, 07:56 PM   #25
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Quote:
No, those wattages that you posted are actually info settings on parts of your motherboard relating to voltage of things like northbridge, southbridge and CPU voltages. These have nothing really to do with your power supply (PSU). You will have to physically look at the PSU in your machine to find it's specs and check out the cabling on it. Otherwise you may have a gateway manual that also provide these specs or you could try searching the gateway website with the model number of your machine and that may also tell you. Personally I would simply examine the PSU and write that stuff down and also check the cabling if you can such as what type of spare plugs there are.

You want to spend 100-150 what? Pounds, US dollars. What currency/country are we talking about?

Can anyone chime in as to what is a decent GPU card for SHV as I must admit that I still haven't purchased SHV. I'm still waiting for it to go in the bargain bin price category.
dollars of course. and how am i ever going to manually look at it. i think ill try the website.

Edit: i have a GX 4200-09 Series. It says info on models may vary, and it gave 3 numbers.

300 W/400 W/500 W

- James Madison

Last edited by CaptainMattJ.; 09-03-10 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 08:25 AM   #26
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
dollars of course.
Ok so USD $. Take a look at Toms Hardware linked here: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2010. Three types of cards to go for. In the USD $100 pricepoint you can choose between the Radeon HD4850 1GB or the Nvidia GTS250 1GB. Only negative with either of these is that they do not offer DX11. For a bit more (USD $135) you could get a Radeon HD5750 1GB card which is a bit faster than the other two cards and also has DX11 support for newer games.

Quote:
and how am i ever going to manually look at it.
Simply open up your computer case side panel and look on the side of the power supply. It should have a label with all the specs. System integrators like Gateway Computers use generic power supplies and they tend not to be fantastic.

Quote:
i think ill try the website.

Edit: i have a GX 4200-09 Series. It says info on models may vary, and it gave 3 numbers.

300 W/400 W/500 W
I think you might mean a Gateway DX 4200-09 such as is this link and not GX. This info on the website is all generic by the sounds of it from Gateway. You really need to do what I suggested above and open up your case. My gut feeling is that you may need to upgrade your PSU. But check inside your case first.

Tell us how you go with the power supply info.
Old 09-04-10, 12:11 PM   #27
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Quote:
Ok so USD $. Take a look at Toms Hardware linked here: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2010. Three types of cards to go for. In the USD $100 pricepoint you can choose between the Radeon HD4850 1GB or the Nvidia GTS250 1GB. Only negative with either of these is that they do not offer DX11. For a bit more (USD $135) you could get a Radeon HD5750 1GB card which is a bit faster than the other two cards and also has DX11 support for newer games.

Simply open up your computer case side panel and look on the side of the power supply. It should have a label with all the specs. System integrators like Gateway Computers use generic power supplies and they tend not to be fantastic.

I think you might mean a Gateway DX 4200-09 such as is this link and not GX. This info on the website is all generic by the sounds of it from Gateway. You really need to do what I suggested above and open up your case. My gut feeling is that you may need to upgrade your PSU. But check inside your case first.

Tell us how you go with the power supply info.
oops, i meant DX. yea im going to look into it tommrow or later tonight. im going to the beach today .

- James Madison
Old 09-04-10, 12:28 PM   #28
Seth8530
Captain

Downloads: 17

yeah, so you might be in luck after all. Those ATI cards are pretty decent cards for there money... Maybe you should also look at the gtx 260. It was a great card for its money during its hayday and i cant imagine it getting any more expensive since then. Your biggest problem is your CPU clock speeds...
Old 09-04-10, 02:10 PM   #29
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Make sure to note the brand of PSU, and if you can get the Amperages of the diagram that should be on it.

Even if it's a 500W, low Amps would still make it unsuitable.

I'd say a GTX260 and a new PSU, or go all the way and get a decent quad, new PSU and GTX460. Should hold you over for 3-5 years.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 03:06 PM   #30
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Yeah a GTX 460 is another good option on the GPU front. At the end of the day if he only has USD $150 to spend then he can forget about new cpu and mb, graphics card and memory. Obviously the GPU is the weak link currently in his system but if he then goes out and buys a new graphics card then the crummy clockspeed CPU he has will become the bottleneck. Let's see what he comes back with regarding the PSU.