Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-24, 01:11 AM   #7441
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Settle down boys!!

This would make a fine gift, you gotta love December!!

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1051...SAHEgIASvD_BwE

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 01:34 AM   #7442
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

...and just like that delinquent NATO members began to pay their dues.
Old 02-15-24, 10:09 AM   #7443
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Donald Trump stands by remarks about not defending Nato members after backlash

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump has again said that if he returns to the White House, he would not defend Nato members that do not meet defence spending targets.

It comes days after he set off alarms in Europe by suggesting he would tell Russia to attack Nato allies he considered delinquent.

Speaking at a campaign rally in South Carolina on Wednesday, he retold the story of his alleged conversation with the head of a Nato member country that had not met its obligations.

This time, though, he left out the line that drew the most outrage — encouraging Russia “to do whatever the hell they want”.

“Look, if they’re not going to pay, we’re not going to protect. OK?” he said.

A spokesperson for President Joe Biden’s re-election campaign said on Wednesday: “Donald Trump just gave Vladimir Putin the best possible Valentine’s Day present: his pinky-promise to give Putin the green light to mow down our allies in Europe if he’s elected president.”
Mr Biden previously excoriated Mr Trump for his remarks about Nato, calling them “dangerous”, “un-American”, and “shocking”.

Mr Biden has also pushed for a foreign aid package to assist Ukraine as it fights Russia’s invasion.

Mr Trump has opposed the aid and said that the US should instead provide a loan to Ukraine.

“Why should you just hand it over to them?” he said.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...207df7a4&ei=13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 10:11 AM   #7444
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

As H. L. Mencken said, "this is the democracy people crave, and they are going to get it good and hard".
Old 02-15-24, 10:17 AM   #7445
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I wonder who would be the better guarantor of Trump's election victory - Biden, or Harris?
Old 02-15-24, 10:18 AM   #7446
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

NATO Chief Warns: EU Cannot Defend Europe Without US Aid

Quote:
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg issued a stark warning regarding European security, highlighting the critical role of the United States and other non-EU NATO allies in safeguarding the continent. This statement comes in response to the campaign declarations of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, who asserted that NATO countries failing to allocate two percent of their budget to defense should not expect assistance from the US.

In a comment to Reuters, Stoltenberg emphasized the insufficiency of the European Union in defending Europe on its own.

"The European Union cannot defend Europe. Eighty percent of NATO's defense expenditures come from NATO allies outside the EU," Stoltenberg informed the news agency.

Stoltenberg underscored that Europe's security relies not only on European efforts but also on the contributions of other NATO members, including the USA and Canada.

"If you just look at the map, it's obvious that all these countries, non-EU allies, are crucial for the protection of Europe," he stated, adding that any attempts to disconnect Europe from North America would only serve to divide Europe.

Many European nations regard the USA as their primary security guarantor, Stoltenberg highlighted.

Trump's remarks that the US may not defend NATO members who fail to contribute adequately to the alliance's budget drew sharp criticism from Western leaders.

European politicians viewed Trump's comments as a wake-up call, urging Europe to enhance its defense capabilities.

Stoltenberg called for European NATO members to bolster their defense capacities within a transatlantic framework. He noted that European allies are expected to invest $380 billion in defense this year, potentially reaching the target of allocating 2% of their total GDP to defense by 2024, up from 1.85% in 2023.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...5c4e404d&ei=17

Old 02-15-24, 10:39 AM   #7447
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Then pay your share-It can't be more simple.

18 out of 31 members are paying 2% or more of their GDP

Taking a free ride on the Cost of US military shall be stopped

I understand him very well.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 10:51 AM   #7448
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Very true Markus and for what it's worth the UK are one of them that do pay their way however Denmark is not so it is very much a case of "People in glass houses....."

Old 02-15-24, 11:11 AM   #7449
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Very true Markus and for what it's worth the UK are one of them that do pay their way however Denmark is not so it is very much a case of "People in glass houses....."
The latest I have heard is that Denmark is spending almost 2 % of our GDP on the military. They have set a goal to spend 2 % by the year 2033. I think Trumps comment have made our politicians to think twice.

Markus

Old 02-15-24, 11:17 AM   #7450
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
The latest I have heard is that Denmark is spending almost 2 % of our GDP on the military. They have set a goal to spend 2 % by the year 2033. I think Trumps comment have made our politicians to think twice.

Markus
My information shows Denmark currently at 1.65% but the main importance is they are resolving to increase their funding....but not for almost nine years?

Old 02-15-24, 12:19 PM   #7451
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
My information shows Denmark currently at 1.65% but the main importance is they are resolving to increase their funding....but not for almost nine years?
Is 1.65% not all most 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 12:28 PM   #7452
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Is 1.65% not all most 2%

I can only say what they told us in the news at noon. The government has decided to add xx BN Danish kroner to the military which will make Denmark among those who pay almost 2%. Additional the support for Ukraine shall be counted into the equation.

Markus

Old 02-15-24, 12:33 PM   #7453
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I can only say what they told us in the news at noon. The government has decided to add xx BN Danish kroner to the military which will make Denmark among those who pay almost 2%. Additional the support for Ukraine shall be counted into the equation.

Markus
The Netherlands has not yet met the standard, but is getting close for the first time this year. In 2024, the Dutch armed forces will have 21 billion euros to spend. To ensure that the Netherlands can permanently meet the standard, an additional two billion euros per year must be spent on defence starting in 2026. This all depends on the government we try to form, one of the biggest party is against NATO hope the other parties in the new government can prevent this.

Quote:
Old 02-15-24, 01:02 PM   #7454
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
The Netherlands has not yet met the standard, but is getting close for the first time this year. In 2024, the Dutch armed forces will have 21 billion euros to spend. To ensure that the Netherlands can permanently meet the standard, an additional two billion euros per year must be spent on defence starting in 2026. This all depends on the government we try to form, one of the biggest party is against NATO hope the other parties in the new government can prevent this.
Made a search to find what was said earlier on the news in writing

Found this Danish article

https://nyheder-tv2-dk.translate.goo..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Markus

Old 02-15-24, 01:21 PM   #7455
Dargo
Admiral

We do not need to fear that mutch for Russia before it can attack NATO it needs to rebuild his army that takes years and with Finland in NATO Putin will not dear to attack they tried it in the past and lost that sandkasten spiel and with all his offensive army in Ukraine it can only defend on the NATO-Russia border and that became very large recently. We in the West better give more support to Ukraine they inflict substantial damage on the Russian military, preventing them from open up other fronts. Don't forget also Poland with 2,000 brand-new tanks, armoured howitzers, large numbers of Apache helicopters, Abrams tanks, 506 Himars missile systems in addition, the government signed a mega deal with the South Korean defence industry: FA-50 jet fighters, another 288 Korean Himars lookalikes, 648 armoured howitzers (much of which will be built in Poland itself), and another thousand K2 tanks. The orders give additional teeth to the existing armed forces. These number nearly 300,000 soldiers and already had 800 pieces of artillery and 650 tanks, including the German Leopard 2. Anybody really thinks Russia can destroy this?

Quote:

Last edited by Dargo; 02-15-24 at 02:12 PM.