Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-07, 12:17 AM   #31
Blarg
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

SH2.

Strange to admit it, but I am playing it happily, more often than SH3 and SH4 at present. To explain, it seems that SH2 calls upon the imagination in a way that I find appealing. The iconic Hitman and Horsa as you can easily gather from reading here, rstill support players with questions, and Pacific Aces is a wonderful variation. I play it alternately with SH2, and consider it the best, personally.

Why do I still play SH2? Quirky reasons I guess.

The unseen crew seems more "real" in my mind than the disturbingly odd and puppetlike simulacra that represent the current representations of crew in the later iterations. How compromised these are will only truly be clear in some years, when computer graphics will fulfill its promised potential, offering modeling so lifelike as to appear cinematic,and the illusion breaking dissonance of this level of rendering will be an artifact chuckled over by digital historians. And no doubt remembered fondly by many members of the SUBSIM forums.

Granted, the subs and ships etc. are better looking by far in the more recent versions, and they are overall in many ways better, but in SH2 I still very much enjoy the atmospheric scoring of the music and the tone or "feel" of the GUI. It sets a nice mood, and I find the this game always comfortable and enjoyable on a second screen while plugging away at other tasks, map view on, and waiting for the cry of "Ship Spotted!"

Blarg
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 06:23 PM   #32
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Why do I still play SH2? Quirky reasons I guess.

Not as quirky as you suggest. This is a very valid point that gets my support. I think that graphic content/capability often gets confused with what might be called “atmosphere”. Conventional wisdom says that more detailed and rich graphics equals more atmosphere. I suppose the assumption is that the richness of detail is bringing us closer to the real thing. But the opposite is often true. It’s a bit like Radio and Television. TV has sound AND vision whereas Radio has only sound. Seemingly no contest, but then why didn’t TV kill off Radio completely?
Answer - some things work better on Radio because leaving a bit to the imagination can be better than spelling it out, badly . In SH3/4 it’s supposed that adding crew must be better than no crew at all, but you’ve clearly recognised, Blarg, that crew looking like Thunderbird puppets don’t necessarily do us any favours in the atmosphere department. Now, none of this is the fault of the devs. They are almost certainly being driven by the marketing guys who in turn are picking up the need to include these features from the paying public.

Let me add a couple of others.

It’s also assumed that 3D interiors are a smart move forward – after all real life is in 3D, so it must be good. Trouble is video cards/computer capability are still not that good. What it’s made SH3/4 do is substitute boring old 2D graphics which can be photo realistic with apparently more exciting “lets have a good look around” 3D graphics that can’t even come within spitting distance of that sort of quality . In fact they are clearly so artificial that the old atmosphere thing suffers yet another kick. After the initial novelty, I wonder what proportion of playing time is actually spent in these crewed 3D interiors rather than the 2D interfaces that actually give you a relatively real feel of submarine instruments.

Now, who’s going to admit to the next one without risking ridicule and scorn - – are the highly detailed models actually more atmospheric than the chunkier ones in SH2/DC ? There are some things that modern graphics do really well and SH3/4 has them in spades - Water, Smoke, Explosions, Sunsets, Sunrises and Lens Flares. No argument there. But, and this is a big but in my mind, the beautiful detailed models of games like SH3/4 can serve only to emphasise that they ARE computer generated models. Often when I look at them, all I can see is really well made toys. The smudgy, chunky , boringly textured models of SH2/DC, when seen at a distance, actually remind me more of vintage war footage. I have to admit that, up close and personal, SH2/DC models look ugly, whereas the more detailed SH3/4 models look rather smart. Nevertheless I cannot help but feel that a lot of the modelling expertise has been channelled towards this relatively infrequent and artificial close up experience.

None of this is going to wash with most folk, of course - SH3/4 has a better featured and designed gameplay anyway, and the graphic richness I’ve outlined is an unstoppable trend, but I personally have no difficulty in often preferring good old fashioned dated SH2/DC.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 10:28 PM   #33
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

SH2 is a poop game, bad graphics.
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 01:44 AM   #34
Blarg
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger123987
As was said, exceptions do not prove the rule. lagger's summation reinforces this truism neatly.

Blarg
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 07:19 AM   #35
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Disagree

See, I can do it too.
Old 05-27-07, 08:53 AM   #36
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa
Quote:
Disagree

See, I can do it too.
Horses poop too much.
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 09:07 AM   #37
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

SH2 was a great game . Lagger's comments about bad graphics just go to show you where intrest in video games is going. It's all about the grapihcs now. Look at SH4 they made it to look great (and it does) but look at all the bugs they missed! I wouldn't have minded SH3 graphics with a more complete game, but that's not my point. People are turning into moths, but this time instead of "Ohhhh, shiney!" it's "Ohhhh hi-res!".

Such people have no respect for the arts!
Old 05-27-07, 10:14 AM   #38
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Horses poop too much.
Wrong site. I think you need to be here.

http://www.nfu.org/
Old 05-27-07, 10:24 AM   #39
azn_132
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa
Quote:
Horses poop too much.
Wrong site. I think you need to be here.

http://www.nfu.org/

azn_132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 03:19 PM   #40
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I agree with Horsa up to a point. I liked the SHII/DC graphics, especially the fog, and of course the multiplay was the best, as far as subsims go. The point where I draw the line is the campaign structure. Even with the great new campaigns from you modders it still got old fast for me. I would rather play AOD; it's the unknowable future that keeps me going. The lack of randomness is what kills SHII for me.